300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince William vs. Stafford

I am looking for input from both PWC officers and Stafford County Deputies. I am currently looking to apply for employment to both departments. Both seem very good, but I would like to make the best choice for myself. I would like know things such as: Morale, Equipment, Shift Work(Hours)...
    I currently live in PWC, and I do realize the take home car program is big beneifit for officers, but I still do not know if PWC would be my best choice. I have heard PWC is very busy, and basically going from call to call. I was thinking of Stafford because it may be alittle more relaxed. Anybody with any info. would be much appreciated.

I know PWC carrys the Glock 21(45 Cal). What does Stafford County Carry?

I've been with Stafford for nearly 6 years so i'll try and help. We work permanent 11.5 hour shifts (day,evening,mids) you work 7 out of 14 days. We carry Sig Sauer P229 DAK .40 cal. You will receive a take home car usually towards the end of the academy just prior to the start of field training.
    As for equipment you'll get everything issued to you from a nextel to a streamlight cuff key and everything in between. Morale is still good around the agency and you receive a lot of great training.
    Prince William and Stafford are different agencies though. Both agencies have great cops, but our administrations are completely different. Prince William is bound by more restrictive policies than we are in some areas (e.g. pursuits)
    If you work the Garfield Station in Prince William you will be noticeably more busy there (call volume) than you would be in Stafford. We are typically humping calls till the evening, but no where as bad as Pwlm can be.
    Not sure what their starting pay is, but ours is $40,000 now. I'm sure they have us beat in this category. You could expect to supplement $15-20,000 your first year with OT.
    My suggestion is do TWO ride alongs with each agency. Just doing one might not do either justice for various reasons. Send me a PM and I can go into greater detail on topics.

Comment

Pwc vs. Stafford

Here are my two cents. Both agencies are great. I have worked for both agencies and have nothing negative to say about either one. It has already been said, but major differences will be the sheer number of calls handled in PWC vs. the far more aggressive(fun) type of police work in Stafford. Pwc in my opinion has taken the luster of the Fairfax PD and shown itself to be a leading agency on the East coast if not the country. Stafford on the other hand has not reached it's growth potential and is only getting bigger and better. You join a growing agency and you can grow with it, you join an already grown agency and you live with what you got. Bottom line is that you can rest assured that either way you go, you will come out a winner! Make sure you apply for both to ensure you don't put all your eggs in one basket. Any open forum questions, just post. Need the low down and dirty, send me a P.M. Good luck

Comment

I can't speak for the above poster - but I appreciate the information. I've got a the testing for SCSO coming up August, so the more information I know the better. MRC372, Whats the PT test like for Stafford? Is it similar in fashion to Spotsy? I took there's a little bit back, but a few of the other applicants stated that it was slightly different for Stafford.

Also, with the take-home cars, is there a restriction as to distance or county living? There are a few apartments in the area that I liked a lot when I was down there applying with AHPD, but I think a few were technically in the City.

Comment

LochRaven,
          I'm assuming the PFT is still the same as when I went through. I believe it still entails a short obstactle course, jumping 6' chain and wooden fences, dummy drag and 500 yd run. It is pretty simple, not sure what Spotsy's entails.
          As for the take home car you can only take it home if you live in the county. You will still be issued one regardless so many guys park them at various approved locations closer to the county line to lessen their commute.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrovic
            Prince William is very busy on the mid/eve shifts. They do indeed run call to call depending on the area. Mid you have time for the "fun" type stuff with the bars and the drunks/drugs. Prince William has the best patrol shift going (in my opinion), 5 on 4 off 10 hour set shifts. Both departments are good. I personally wouldn't work for a Sheriff's Department because of the whole election issue, but if I did work for one it would be Stafford.

MRC372 has pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as everything else goes.

+1 to that! PWCPD and the SCSO are both great agencies, and have plenty of "good cops" between them. You still have some of the 'politics' that play more of a role in a sheriff's office than at a police department; but that normally won't affect the street-level folks quite as much as those above sergeant.

Cost of living is less in Stafford than in Prince William, but there is probably not as much of a difference as there used to be.

I agree with others here that you should ride along and apply to both agencies - as well as some others in the area (Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg, Fauquier, etc.).

Good luck!!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like it will be a tough decision. I will apply to both agencies, but I am still trying to find out as much about the departments as I can. I knew PWC PD was a good dept. and was not even considering Stafford a few months ago, but I like what I am hearing about the Stafford County Sheriffs, and will strongly consider both. Anyone with more input, please post. The more info about the two departments the better, Thanks Again.

Comment

This is really good information. I'm testing with PWC, but I am seriously considering Stafford County as well, as I actually live in Stafford. What other differences are there between a Sheriff's office and police department that I should be aware of? Is there regional jailwork involved in Stafford or strictly patrol duties? I understand that Stafford works 11.5 hour shifts(per above) but is basically a 2 on, 2 off type of schedule, whereas PWC has 5 on 4 off, or 4 on 3 off, but with 10 hour shifts. I'm hearing alot of great things about both places and all of your opinions are much appreciated!

Comment

There is no jail work associated with the Sheriff's Office. We use the Rappahannock Regional Jail which is an independent body, similar to PWC ADC. The schedule is as such: Work: Mon, Tues... Off: Wed, Thurs.... Work: Fri, Sat, Sun... The next week it rotates days on and off. Not bad considering the max you work is 3 days consecutively and you have a 3 day weekend every other week. The shifts are all permanent, no rotating.

As far as differences between a SO and PD there is nothing noticable to the slick sleeve or even the line supervisors. Of course the differences lie in the election of a Sheriff vs. the appointment of a Chief. For a patrol deputy there is nothing you will be involved in during elections. I have been employed during two elections and my work didn't change. We are not tasked with standing in uniform along Rte 1 with "Vote Jett" signs. There is actually policy prohibiting you from being involved (if desired) in campaigning during work. There is no speech to slow down ticket writing or locking people up, that is more likely to happen in a rural Sheriff's Office. In my opinion, don't let the fact that Stafford is a SO affect you from applying.

Comment

What is the Academy like for Stafford?? Is it para-military like or what? Is there alot of PT done while your there??
                    Last edited by bigsexy1925; 08-04-2008, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MRC372 View Post
                      LochRaven,
                      I'm assuming the PFT is still the same as when I went through. I believe it still entails a short obstactle course, jumping 6' chain and wooden fences, dummy drag and 500 yd run. It is pretty simple, not sure what Spotsy's entails.
                      As for the take home car you can only take it home if you live in the county. You will still be issued one regardless so many guys park them at various approved locations closer to the county line to lessen their commute.

PT is the same. Just completed it beginning of Dec.

Comment

I'm a Cop down in Texas and am looking to move up north with my GF. She lives in PWC, so I naturally looked them up. I spoke with a recruiting Officer, her name was Officer Farley. I can tell you, she spoke to me like a human being and not a Recruiter. It seems that PWC has a very good department along with a Chief who cares about his peeps. She even offered me a ride-a-long when I come up to visit and ask the other Officers how it really is. I've never heard of a Department giving an annual bonus check just for being with them. Also, their government pays for your retirement and nothing comes out of your check, which is nice!!! Anyways, good luck with all...

Comment

I wonder how the process is for in state laterals? anyone have insight?
                          To be honest I don't remember too much about losing my virginity. All I remember is I had been awake for almost 86 hours, I was on the roof of a Public Storage building in what seemed to be a freezing rainstorm, and Christopher Walken was there with a disposable camera that he kept winding even though it had clearly run out of pictures.

Comment

DANG!!!! Virginia is a broke *** state. What is going on here????

Comment

Originally posted by iamacop View Post
                              DANG!!!! Virginia is a broke *** state. What is going on here????

It is not a shortage of revenue, but merely an excess of spending. The last two adminstrations (along with their cohorts in the VA General Assembly) have done their best to increase our spending far beyond the huge growth in revenues we have experienced.

Overall, the commonwealth is doing very well in comparison to other states; but too many voters and politicians in this great state do not realize that we cannot tax ourselves into prosperity. Just look at how much larger our budget has grown in relation to the increase in our population.

Things are not going to change anytime soon; that's for sure!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3661 users online. 140 members and 3521 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X