300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanover County Sheriff's Dept.

Any Hanover deputies on this board? I'm looking for some honest answers about your lateral entry program. I've been with Henrico PD for 10 years now and I think our ship has run aground.....

Im not Hanover, but I know four who are that I worked with Prior. I doubt as far as money goes you can do much better than where you are already at and To go from a Sheriff's Department to a Police Department? You know how that situation works if the Sheriff doesnt like you or a new Sheriff get voted in as far as your job security right? Good Luck either way
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Just remember that in VA it is a sheriff's office - not a department. Minor semantics, but some higher-ups are anal about this little difference.

HCSO has a great reputation and I know that their ranks are filled by laterals from Chesterfield, Richmond and Henrico. They are a full-service sheriff's office, so they have both patrol deputies and those who work as court services/bailiffs. It is a large, fast-growing county with a lot of different types of people.

Hanover gives take-home cars to those who live in the county; which is pretty much common practice in many places of the state. From what I know, they accept laterals with 3 or more years....so you should be good to go. Best of luck!!

CLICK HERE: ==> http://www.hanoversheriff.com

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

whats going on with henrico? i'm in the running for them right now. tried for hanover as well, but didnt pass the oral review, they had 7 openings where henrico was said to have 70. i heard you all were getting problems. i asked my C.J. professor who was a former Henrico PD officer which would you suggest, henrico or hanover and she looked at me and whispered hanover...whats going on with henrico? and dutch is right, hanover goes from kings dominion to like, what, montpiliar(sorry about the spelling, its 5am and im out of it).
        dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Hanover County, VA
          Population = 86,320 people {as of 2000 census}
          Land Area = 473 square miles!
          (Information thanks to Wikipedia.)

It is surrounded by seven other counties (Goochland, Spotsylvania, Caroline, Henrico, New Kent, Louisa and King Willaim) and contains the town of Ashland within it. Ashland has its own PD (a good one at that), but county deputies still have jurisdiction within Ashland because it is not an independent city (like Richmond, Fredericksburg, etc.).

Montpelier and Beaverdam are at the northern & western edge of the county, while Mechanicsville is in the eastern section. King's Dominion is pretty much on the northern edge of Hanover. You can find everything from old farmers to high-income yuppies living there. (I sure wish I had bought real estate there ten years ago. Yikes!)

The Hanover County sheriff is currently V. Stuart Cook, and he has been on the job for at least fifteen years or so - after retiring from the Richmond City Police Department. All sheriffs in VA are up for election this November, but he'll be a shoo-in unless he decides to retire. Col. Cook has a reputation that is second to nobody! I've never heard anything bad about the guy; that's for sure.

Sheriff Cook will probably win re-election (probably unopposed anyway) and then appoint someone to replace him if/when he decides to retire. That person will be his de facto successor and then will be able to run as an incumbent in 2011.

Henrico County has a good PD and your chances of getting hired are probably better for you, since they need more people than Hanover. Go for wherever you can get hired, and then lateral elsewhere at a later date. Just bear in mind that a PD is often less 'political' than is a sheriff's office.

The City of Richmond is always looking for people as well. Talk about a ticket to a wild ride! Work three years there and you will see more action than some officers see in an entire career!

If you can handle the high cost of living, a lot of agencies in Northern VA are hiring as well. Prince William, Stafford, Loudoun and Alexandria are going to need officers to fill their vacancies, too.

Good luck.
          Last edited by VA Dutch; 05-13-2007, 09:54 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

Comment

Fenix- Where you talking to Mrs. Jessie at JSR? She used to be on my platoon. She was a great cop, to bad she left.

Henrico is still an ok department. It is no loger the great department that I sought out because of it's reputation and character. Our main issues are pay and lack of benefits. It sucks to make a decision based on pay, but the cost of living in Henrico county is skyrocketing. The average home price in 06 was $301k. Not easy to buy a house making under $40k. Equipment wise, HPD give officers every toy under the sun. In my car I've got a Colt M4, tazer, Panasonic MDT, Stinger spikes and a balistic shield.

Our chief has been with the dept. now for 44 years. Do the math. He started prior to the Miranda decision and still has the same old school mentality and so does all of the command staff. That is what is KILLING this place.

I am looking at Hanover because they have a rather progressive Sheriff (who will probably be there for at least one more term) and they are a growing department. Lots of opportunity, but still not a huge metro PD like Henrico.

Thanks for the replies folks! Be safe!

Comment

tip-yea, i'm talking about Mrs. Jessie, shes awesome!!! she helped get me my internship at jsr for police and security..which goes towards my internship. i'm getting alot of training there...handcuff, ASP, and mace taining comeing monday and tuesday, professional level EMT training coming, i'm the FTO for midnight shift, and i've guarded Gov. Kaine....not to bad to put on the resume, huh? and im only 20..sheesh...hey dutch, my cousin was dulles pd for a while, was with richmond for 3 years, and n ow is back at dulles..i think they want him to be a instructor there. i'm going to the next open test day for richmond i believe may 19...its like the wild west out there...time to saddle up!!

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fenix View Post
                Hey dutch, my cousin was dulles pd for a while, was with richmond for 3 years, and n ow is back at dulles..i think they want him to be a instructor there. i'm going to the next open test day for richmond i believe may 19...its like the wild west out there...time to saddle up!!

Good for your cousin! He's got the experience to do just about anything he desires. As for testing for Richmond PD, I say you should go for it. If you are only 20 years old, get your foot in the door early. If you can stand the political shenanigans and are willing to live in the city, you'll be eligible for a take-home car and promotions will probably come quickly for you.

Conversely, if it ain't what you want, just lateral elsewhere after reaching the three-year mark. The world is your oyster, son (and I am way old enough to call you that).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You can judge a man's character by how he treats those who have no power over him." -- Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsovr View Post

Our chief has been with the dept. now for 44 years. Do the math. He started prior to the Miranda decision and still has the same old school mentality and so does all of the command staff. That is what is KILLING this place.

Is Chief Stanley still down there? Sheesh! As for "old school" mentality, that might hurt the department in some ways.....but it might improve society as a whole.

Personalities aside, I have heard nothing but good things about Henrico - except for those goofy 'Gestapo' hats they wear.

They used to have Stetsons 'back in the day', right?

Comment

Yes, Stanley is still here (physically). Ahhh, the Stetsons were cool. Now these stupid bus driver hats we have now are not. Of course, there is an open rebellion against wearing them.

Comment

I jogged the memory banks a bit, huh? Seriously, though, I did live in Richmond many, many, many years ago and I remember when Henrico had the Stetsons (late 1980s, I think). I actually think they were a much better hat than the Gestap/bus driver caps they have now.

When I was a deputy, we wore the Stetson-style hat (can't remember the brand name right now, but I would know it if I saw it) - but in brown, of course.

The VA State Police used to have the Stetsons, too; but they adopted the so-called "campaign hat" about five years ago. To me, they resemble the drill sergeant hats that Smokey The Bear made famous.

Richmond City PD (along with other agencies) - seems to have gone progressive on us and has now authorized baseball caps for normal duty wear. It used to be that only "special" guys wore them; SWAT, K-9, CVE, etc., etc., but I have seen several "regular" patrol officers wearing them the last time I was down that way.

Me thinks that the chance an officer has his hat on is inversely proportional to the number of upper brass officers working his same shift.
                      Last edited by VA Dutch; 05-13-2007, 08:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

hey tip...what shift and beat do you work? i work a lot of midnight at sarge...you not Jim are you? that would be cool..lol

Comment

Currently I set my own schedule. I am in community policing. Best gig going at HPD. That being said, I am still looking elsewhere.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6102 users online. 349 members and 5753 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X