300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Police

I am interested in VSP, however i would like to stay in the Northern VA area if possible... Is that possible, and if so How long could I stay there? And is it like Maryland State Police where you may have to drive to a differnet part of the state to help out another barrack?

I'm not with the VSP, but my dad has a good friend that is a VSP lieutenant. When I was considering applying, he told my dad that it was very easy to get assigned in Northern Va once out of the academy. According to him, the Northern Va area is one of the least popular areas that new troopers want to go bc of the high cost of living in comparison to other parts of the state. For this reason, there are always plenty of Northern Va openings.

Comment

Originally posted by lawinterest
      I'm not with the VSP, but my dad has a good friend that is a VSP lieutenant. When I was considering applying, he told my dad that it was very easy to get assigned in Northern Va once out of the academy. According to him, the Northern Va area is one of the least popular areas that new troopers want to go bc of the high cost of living in comparison to other parts of the state. For this reason, there are always plenty of Northern Va openings.

Yeah, and there is also that dreaded I-66.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch

Yeah, and there is also that dreaded I-66.

What's Up with I-66

Comment

Lots of crashes; very congested.......plenty of construction going on.

Just a general P.I.T.A. -- nothing much other than that. But then again, I suppose it is no worse than I-395, 495 or 95.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by Super_trooper
            I am interested in VSP, however i would like to stay in the Northern VA area if possible... Is that possible, and if so How long could I stay there? And is it like Maryland State Police where you may have to drive to a differnet part of the state to help out another barrack?

Should be a peice of cake. You could easily stay there your whole career if you so desired.

You might sometimes go into the adjacent county in some parts of the state, but unlikely in No Va. as there are so many troopers up there. Doubt we'll see another coal strike in SW Va. May get a call to go to a prison riot or some big civil disturbance, etc. a few times in a career, maybe to Yorktown for a celebration, you never know. Every other year at least you'll spend an all expense paid week at or near the academy.

Unlike Md., a drive to some parts of Va. from No Va. could take a whole day.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
              Unlike Md., a drive to some parts of Va. from No Va. could take a whole day.

I know... Tell me about it.....

Comment

I know... Tell me about it.....
                Are you currently a Trooper with MSP? If you are, why switch? Just curious on that one.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                  Are you currently a Trooper with MSP? If you are, why switch? Just curious on that one.
                  OH NO... I want to be though, but I was actually looking @ both departments...

Comment

OH NO... I want to be though, but I was actually looking @ both departments...
                    Interesting as your profile states you are a Sworn Police Officer. FYI, not a smart choice if you are trying to get into LE.

Anyway, i would go with MSP, just my .02
                    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Interesting as your profile states you are a Sworn Police Officer. FYI, not a smart choice if you are trying to get into LE.

FIRST OF ALL! I SAID I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE MARYLAND STATE POLICE DEPARTMENT! I NEVER SAID THAT I WAS NOT A SWORN OFFICER! IT PAYS TO READ, AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING! I DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO LIE ABOUT THERE DETECTIVE OF THE MONTH

Comment

You need to calm down, thats the first thing. Next is, why are you so defensive? I was just re-emphasizing what you have stated on previous post about not going to an Academy...therefore, just curious as to what Agency you work for. Feel free to PM.
                        Last edited by irishlad2nv; 01-31-2007, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Curious, why would you go w/ MSP? A classmate of mine is going VSP and I was thinking of it also. Obviously a big life change so I'm interested in any and all info on VSP. Not the recruiter version either. I've been on the job for 11 yrs, 8 on SWAT all in patrol. Hoping for district 5 or 7 (would love to be near the ocean) and am sick of winters (live in MA).
                          Oh and is it policy to transport the prisoner in the front pass seat?
                          surly?? screw you....

Comment

As stated before, I am not a Va state trooper, but my dad has a good friend that is a VSP lieutenant. With that said, yes it is policy to transport prisoners in the front seat with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce
                              Oh and is it policy to transport the prisoner in the front pass seat?
                              If that's directed towards VSP, realize we do not use cages. We don't transport that many, so we don't justify the need for a cage nor the loss of interior room.
                              Secure prisoner, search, cuff hands in back always, double lock always, seat in right front seat, apply harness ...
                              and if needed, tie feet back in right rear corner of front passenger floor board at junction of seat and right side fronnt door with red rope, knot pulled outside car. Right front seat is where you can best watch them.

If you have two, and if you decide to transport both yourself ... you can transport one in right rear seat, but no stranger ever rides in my left rear seat, cuffed or otherwise.

Best bet is get help/backup before you go cuffing two or more, like other troopers, deputies, local POs, etc.

It's no big deal.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4308 users online. 269 members and 4039 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X