300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henrico County

I'm looking for any info people would like to share about the Henrico county PD, Henrico county itself. I'm about to graduate from college next December and I'm gathering as much info about the departments I'm interested in. Thanks!
    "A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit."

- Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Re: Henrico County PD

The Henrico Division of Police (as it is properly known) is a great department, with just about every type of opportunity or career path in law enforcment available to you. Henrico County basically surrounds Richmond in every direction, except to the south. They have something like 500 officers, and the county is growing rapidly in population - somewhere around 350,000 if memory serves me correctly.

I have heard nothing but good things about them, and know that they have some areas of the county which involve subsidized housing projects, thug-like criminals and lots of people who do not speak English; but you can drive a few miles and be in neighborhoods with million-dollar homes and a country club setting. Keep in mind that they get a lot of bleed-over crime from Richmond - which keeps them busy. Richmond International Raceway is also located in Henrico, providing plenty of opportunity to earn some overtime when NASCAR comes to town.

While housing costs have escalated in Henrico (just like most other places in this state), it is still more affordable to live there than in the northern part of the state. Henrico recently started a program where all of their officers get take-home cruisers if you live in the county. Previously, you had to be there a few years before you could get one. Also, they have MDTs in all cars and their radio system is second to none! Henrico used to work rotating shifts (4 days of 10 hours each & then three days off), but I heard that they went to fixed shifts two years ago; although I cannot be 100 percent certain. If you have a family, that makes things somewhat easier.

I had done a ride-along several years ago with Henrico and have nothing but kudos for them. They do wear the "bus driver" hats, though, which (to me) do not look as good as the Stetsons. Henrico County also has a very good sheriff's office if you are looking for that type of work.

Since Henrico is close to Richmond and only a two-hour drive from the beach or the mountains, you would find the location to be rather convenient. Good luck to you!!

Try this link: http://www.henricopolice.org

P.S. If you are considering a law enforcement career in VA, check out Stafford, Spotsylvania, Prince William, Richmond City, Hanover, Caroline or even the VA State Police. The world is your oyster!!
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 10-10-2006, 08:45 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

A close friend of mine is a Henrico County Police Officer. As mentioned by VaDutch, they do work a strange schedule. It isn't rotating but they are compressed 10 hour shifts. I have done 2 ride alongs with those guys in the last 2 months. You have a wide variety of areas in Henrico as Dutch said. You have Wyndham (oh my god expensive) and Essex Village (the projects). I live in Henrico about 1.5 miles from the race track. Henrico is currently accepting applications for the Police Officer position if that works for your timeline. Henrico is my number two choice right now. I'm in the same situation as you are sort of. I have less than a year before I get my Bachelor's of Science Degree and I am also a Marine Corps veteran. I have yet to find out if Henrico uses Veterans preference points or not. (Or State for that matter if someone would like to chime in) My first choice is State and I've been talking with their recruiters too. If you want any specific information about the Henrico DoP I would be glad to ask my friend and pass that info along to you. The two biggest downsides about Henrico from my non-LE point of view.....The Greyhound Bus driver style covers and the ancient light bars.
      "Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they ever made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem." Ronald Reagan

Comment

I've been working there for almost 10 years now. Overall it is a really good department. Henrico is the highest paid in the Richmond area, barely. We get great equipment. Every officer is issued a MDT(full wireless capabilities), sidearm(Glock 22 or 23, your choice), all your uniform needs minus undies and socks, shotgun or M4(if you go through the school), a car once you finish the academy, tazer(if you go to the school), and just about any other thing you can think of.

Currently the schedule is fixed shifts, day, eves, and midnights. You work 4 10 hr days and are off three. Every so often you work 5 straight and have 4 off. It seems to me that you work more weekends than you are off, but I have never actually counted the number of days. There is some rumor that we may be changing our schedule to what Fairfax PD works, 3 11.5 hr days or something like that. Also in that same rumor it has been said that an assigned car may be issued if you live out of the county. No taking it home, but it is your car and you don't have to put your stuff into another car every day. Not sure if any of these rumors will come to action or not.

After three years you can put in for a transfer to any other section within the department. (K9, Investigative, SRO, Community, narcs, plain clothes surv., etc) We also have a marine patrol, metro avaition unit, and forensics. Lots of opportunities b/c the dept is growing as fast as we can hire. Currently something like 550 sworn, but have been approved to move up to almost 600. (county population is around 300k.)

We have a very urban sections (with the biggest thugs you could want) and some very rural sections with as many cows as you want. (although they are paving over farm land as quickly as it is sold)

Down sides.... our health benefits suck. I have been told that we are next to last in affordable health care options in VA police departments. Trying to buy a house in this county is now very hard on a cops salary. In 05 the AVERAGE house price was $301k. Starting salary is $36.6k, you do the math. Top salary for patrolman is up to almost $80k now, but it takes a while to get there.

If you want more info, pm me. Also, like someone else said, check the website. There is plenty of recruitment info there. www.henricopolice.org

Good luck with where ever you end up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsovr
          Down sides.... our health benefits suck. I have been told that we are next to last in affordable health care options in VA police departments.
          Good luck with where ever you end up!!
          That is probably the biggest complaint that I have actually heard from the folks that I know there. I think for him, his wife, and child he has to pay $300+ a month for health benefits. They have another one on the way so does that send you guys' benefits up again?

James
          "Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they ever made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem." Ronald Reagan

Comment

Yeah, our benefits really hurt us. We have a lateral entry program that many officers apply with. Most go through the process until they find out how much are health care costs are, then run away. But we have gotten some really good officers through the lateral entry program also.

If you can make it the first three years, the career development program really starts boosting your salary (as long as you qualifiy). Don't know if this is good or bad, but my salary has gone up $23.5k in 9.5 years which is good for me. So, the first couple of years suck, especially if you have a family, as far as money goes. But after your third year, it gets better.

Edit- First step in career development is now after two years.
            Last edited by Tipsovr; 10-14-2006, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Career development is really pretty good at 2 years. From I've seen most places start at 3 or even 4. Henrico would be a good choice for me since I was born and raised here and only lived out of the area for the 4 years I was in the Corps. Plus, I have a few friends that are Henrico cops and I could run around Central with my eyes closed (I went to Henrico High School). My biggest concern is not going State right away and deciding later down the road thats what I really wanted to do and then have to go thru that long @$$ academy after I am already certified. I have to start applying in the February/March time frame so I still have a few months to think about it. One other concern is that State doesn't have a ride along program anymore and all but 2 of the folks that I have talked to from State act like they are trying to keep info from you. The State is more like the Military and I like that aspect. I just don't know yet but I have ruled out Hanover and Chesterfield so it's down to State and Henrico.

Comment

Question about career development after two years, does this mean opportunities to get into investigation or other specialized unit? Could someone give a quick 411 on the career development program? Thanks.

Comment

Career development is the way the dept. tries to get officers to further their training and education. If you meet certain criteria, they provide extra money to your salary. The first step is Officer First Class. Don't quote me on this as I am pulling it from my the grey matter in my head. To make OFC, you have to have at least 30 hours of college credits, not have any disciplinary actions against you and no more than one preventable accident. There are a total of four steps in the Henrico career development program. The college hours jump by 30 every step; ie- 30, 60, 90, 120. Every time you obtain another level in CD, you get an additional 4.8% salary increase in addition to the yearly increase. So basically at your 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th years you get pretty big raises as long as you qualify in the CD program.

You are set if you come to the dept and already have your four year degree. Also, the dept has a tuition reimbersment program and allows officers to attend college class on company time.(provided minimum manning is met)

Does that help in answering your question?

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsovr
                    Does that help in answering your question?
                    Thanks. It answered part of my question.
                    I thought it had something to do with advancement into investigation, i.e. career route to becoming a detective. How does that work at Henrico?

Comment

After three years in UO an officer can put in a request to transfer to any other section within the dept. Transferring to investigative is not a promotion, simply a transfer. You just have to have at least three years and hope for a vacancy in the area you are looking at. (and have pretty good cases to make you stand out from the rest)

Comment

Tipsovr,
                        Thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18080 users online. 476 members and 17604 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X