NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good agencies in VA??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good agencies in VA??

    From Florida looking to move to Virginia. Looking for some decent areas that have good departments. Any advice would be appreciated.

    Roanoke a good area? Good county to work for? How about Hanover SO?

  • #2
    Roanoke County PD has a good rep. As does Hanover SO. It all depends on what you are looking for. There are good agencies in pretty much all the urban areas of Virginia. Of course there are good rural agencies also, but they are smaller, often pay less, and have less open positions.

    I worked for the Albemarle County Police Department in Charlottesville, VA for almost six years. It is a good place to work and I would take a look at them if I were you.
    -Landric

    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

    Comment


    • #3
      My advice would be to avoid the sheriff's offices in Virginia, unless you want to do some job hunting every four years -- deputy sheriff's in Virginia have virtually no protection under law.

      Fairfax County PD is a squared-away agency, with good retirement, decent pay, and some of the best equipment around. Of course, you probably won't make enough money to live there, unless your spouse is rich.

      Comment


      • #4
        I hear the DOD Federal police in Ft. Belvoir and Richmond Veteran affairs police are hiring right now, both are good agencies with plenty of opportunities, especially if you are mobile nationwide. They can also be good stepping stones if your looking to move up. Good Luck

        Comment


        • #5
          Very unusual question

          We have people leaving out agency to go to Fla for better pay and working conditons.

          Unless you are moving family reasons, you might want to stay in FLA

          Comment


          • #6
            Hanover... A bit militaristic, but a decent agency.

            As far as Sheriff's offices having to worry about your job every four years... That is almost always a fallacy. There is always the potential that the new sheriff could come in and clean house, but if the agency is more than a few man department the odds of this happening are slim to none, the logistics would be a nightmare. There are several sheriff's offices that are very stable and are top notch agencies. Stafford, Loudoun, and Augusta are all good agencies with good sheriffs and offer stability.

            Albemarle county is a good agency and if you are interested in the Charlottesville area I would stick with them as opposed to the city PD.

            Fairfax, Henrico, Chesterfield, VA Beach and Roanoke are all good agencies as well.
            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by webjeep
              As far as Sheriff's offices having to worry about your job every four years... That is almost always a fallacy. There is always the potential that the new sheriff could come in and clean house, but if the agency is more than a few man department the odds of this happening are slim to none, the logistics would be a nightmare. There are several sheriff's offices that are very stable and are top notch agencies. Stafford, Loudoun, and Augusta are all good agencies with good sheriffs and offer stability.
              I think you'll find that there are examples of people getting blackballed in nearly every agency. In a sheriff's office in VA you typically get paid less than the police agencies, and you only have protection in the event of illegal discrimination. To me, a PD is a smarter choice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chaser266
                I think you'll find that there are examples of people getting blackballed in nearly every agency. In a sheriff's office in VA you typically get paid less than the police agencies, and you only have protection in the event of illegal discrimination. To me, a PD is a smarter choice.
                That said, York County SO is one of the highest paid police dpts in the entire state (please read ENTIRE, not limited to SO), and I am yet to hear of the new sheriffs ever firing any deputies, they may realign their command staff; but that happens everywhere.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Having worked for a SO and a PD I would have to say that there are more politics in a PD than a SO. A good sheriff can tell his troops the way it's going to be and they will comply or walk. A chief comes in and tells people the way he wants them. He may get his way, but if he doesn't there is not recourse.

                  If you look at a SO look at a good one with a record of stability and a sheriff with a good record who the troops and the people like. Otherwise I would look at a larger PD or at least one with a good record and rep like Farifax, VA Beach, or Roanoke. Albemarle or Henrico aren't a bad bet either.

                  I don't know anything about York, but having worked for Stafford and run into cops across the Commonwealth who have worked with Stafford deputies I can say that it is a very good agency and has a great rep and the sheriff is tops.
                  "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by VSPClem
                    That said, York County SO is one of the highest paid police dpts in the entire state (please read ENTIRE, not limited to SO), and I am yet to hear of the new sheriffs ever firing any deputies, they may realign their command staff; but that happens everywhere.
                    I have to disagree with you on this one....website says they start off at 32K a year and are taking apps right now.....



                    All the agencies up here in NVA start at around 43K-45K a year.....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PPDMO373
                      I have to disagree with you on this one....website says they start off at 32K a year and are taking apps right now.....



                      All the agencies up here in NVA start at around 43K-45K a year.....
                      Thats about to go up around 5% as they re-grade the entire Dpt. Also, what that site doesnt tell you is the pay raises they get every year, on top of that the median home price here is only around $237,300 as of 2nd qtr 2006 versus what? $400,000 in NOVA.

                      Either way, I said ONE of the highest paid, not THE highest paid.

                      Take it easy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for all the great responses.
                        Florida is a great place but we want to leave because of the weather...too hot, no changes....and a more suburban family kind of area. I appreaciate all the help.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Utah
                          Thanks for all the great responses.
                          Florida is a great place but we want to leave because of the weather...too hot, no changes....and a more suburban family kind of area. I appreaciate all the help.
                          Let me get this right, your tired of the heat, and lack of season...so you choose Virginia? God bless you, and enjoy the humidity we have to offer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yeah, we have humid and winter. Depending on where you live in VA winter can last 30-90 days of cold weather. Humid seems to go on forever. But coming from FL you probably know about that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Check out Fairfax County PD. cost of living is a challenge up here, but you don't have to live in the county!!! they have guys living all over... even in MD, WV, DC...

                              Also, check out the Pentagon Force Protection Agency. They have an unmatched budget, excellent and up to the minute equipment and lots of opportunities for advancement and special assignments. Once again, you might have a little trouble finding a place to live in the immediate vicinity, but if you can stand a little commuting, you can live in DC, WV or MD.

                              Cost of living isn't impossible up here (I do it on $45k), it's just difficult. But look around and you can make it work. If I knew I would be coming here, and could do it over again, I'd check out either of these places.
                              The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2325 users online. 99 members and 2226 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X