300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Requirement for LE

I have a question I have searched the DCJS website and have found no statement that states a required age of 21, I was just browsing the internet via google and found this. Danville Police Department Now can someone give me an answer on this and how many other places are like this?

Varga
    Baltimore Police Dept

Written/PAT- 10/21/12-Pass
    Written Psych- 10/22/12- Pass
    BI Interview/Polygraph/Psyc - 12/5/12
    Physical -TBD

After further research I have found the info I wanted.

§ 15.2-1705. Minimum qualifications; waiver.

A. The chief of police and all police officers of any locality, all deputy sheriffs and jail officers in this Commonwealth, and all law-enforcement officers as defined in § 9.1-101 who enter upon the duties of such office after July 1, 1994, are required to meet the following minimum qualifications for office. Such person shall (i) be a citizen of the United States, (ii) be required to undergo a background investigation including fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiries to both the Central Criminal Records Exchange and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, (iii) have a high school education or have passed the General Educational Development exam, (iv) possess a valid driver's license if required by the duties of office to operate a motor vehicle, (v) undergo a physical examination, subsequent to a conditional offer of employment, conducted under the supervision of a licensed physician, (vi) be at least eighteen years of age, (vii) not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Virginia, and (viii) not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening, if such screening is required by the hiring law-enforcement agency or jail, where the positive result cannot be explained to the law-enforcement agency or jail administrator's satisfaction.

B. Upon request of a sheriff or chief of police, or the director or chief executive of any agency or department employing law-enforcement officers as defined in § 9.1-101, or jail officers as defined in § 53.1-1, the Department of Criminal Justice Services is hereby authorized to waive the requirements for qualification as set out in subsection A of this section for good cause shown.

(1982, c. 442, § 15.1-131.8; 1988, c. 396; 1994, cc. 850, 905; 1995, c. 112; 1997, c. 587.)
    Taken from one of the Criminal Justice Academy's Website.

Now to my other question are there other agencies which have this same requirement of age 18?
    Baltimore Police Dept

Physical -TBD

Comment

I don't know of many agencies that actually hire 18 year olds for sworn postitions. I think in my time I have observed maybe one or two sheriff's deputies that got hired on at 20 but turned 21 prior to finishing the academy.
      You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

I have found like 4 jobs already, anyone with any job info can e-mail me at [email protected]
        I am willing to go anywhere in the state, also if I can't get a job lined up I will probably just go to the academy and during my time there search for a job.

Thanks,
        Varga
        Baltimore Police Dept

Physical -TBD

Comment

To my understanding, you may be engaged with some PDs under 21, however Virginia Law prohibits you from using a handgun in that capacity until you are 21. The under 21 thing is for some correction positions, and some PDs in which you will work in a support status until you are of age to hit the road. I know of no police dpts in the state that will put you on the road with full powers under 21.

But Ive been wrong plenty of times before.

Comment

here are the requirements of Danville in the first post.

**NOW TAKING APPLICATIONS**

The citizens of Danville expect professional law enforcement services and the Danville Police Department is determined to meet these expectations. Individuals who measure up to these expectations and are willing to make Danville a better place in which to live and work are considered for selection as Danville Police Officers. Current City Employment Opportunities

Basic Requirements of the Danville Police Department

Be a United States citizen
            At least 18 years of age
            Undergo a comprehensive background investigation
            Have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
            Possess a valid operators license
            Undergo a physical examination
            No felony convictions
            Negative result on drug screen
            Recruitment Process
            A. Obtain an application for employment from:

City of Danville Human Resources Department
            City Hall - Third Floor (Room #300)
            Danville Va. 24543
            (434) 799-5240
            Virginia Employment Commission
            165 Deer Run Road
            Danville, VA. 24540
            or any office of the Virginia Employment Commission
            (434) 791-5291
            City of Danville Police Department
            Police Chief's Office
            City Hall - First Floor (Room#104)
            Danville, Va. 24543
            (434) 799-6515
            B. Written Test
            C. Initial Interview

Oral interview
            Fingerprinting
            Extensive background investigation to include polygraph testing
            Electronic background investigation
            a. D.M.V. check
            b. Criminal History check
            D. Physical Agility Examination

E. Psychological Evaluation

F. Medical Examination

G. Review by Chief of Police

H. Conditional Job Offer

I. Eighteen Month Probation Period
            Baltimore Police Dept

Physical -TBD

Comment

Varga,

Id ask them point blank what they expect an 18 year old to do though. I just dont think that they are going to put an 18 year old on the street w/ full powers.....or a handgun.

Comment

Originally posted by VSPClem
                Varga,

Id ask them point blank what they expect an 18 year old to do though. I just dont think that they are going to put an 18 year old on the street w/ full powers.....or a handgun.
                I second VSPClem.....that is way too young.......and way to much responsibility for an 18 year old kid!!

Go to school....get a degree, in something else besides Criminal Justice, so you are more qualified to move up in the ranks! Enjoy your youth...you have plenty of time to be a LEO.

sigpic

Comment

The state allows it, also I know many people with a college degree and are about as mature as a 5 yr old. with the common schedule of 3on3off I think that is enough time to go to college at the same time and what about courses at the academy for police officers, do they earn credits. And in most places you earn like 28 credits for the academy.
                  Baltimore Police Dept

Physical -TBD

Comment

Originally posted by VargaM
                    The state allows it, also I know many people with a college degree and are about as mature as a 5 yr old. with the common schedule of 3on3off I think that is enough time to go to college at the same time and what about courses at the academy for police officers, do they earn credits. And in most places you earn like 28 credits for the academy.
                    OH BOY!!!

sigpic

Comment

Age Requirement for LE

You can be as old as the agency lets you be....
                      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Most often you will get about 16 hrs for academy training and very few continuing ed classes offered by agencies and at the academies are good for college credit. Some schools will give you a public speaking course credit for general instructor.

As far as working a 3 on/off schedule and going to school, don't hold your breath. Your days of work rotate, but your school days will always be the same. You are better off working at an agency with a fixed shift so you know when you will have time for school. Don't forget about court and other things that eat up your "off duty" time. Sleep helps too.

I moved down here from a good agency to finish school in 02. I will be finished with my BS next spring. It has been a long run and has taken a great deal of self discipline to get where I am.

I would recommend a CSO or non sworn position that works daytime mon-fri with holidays off or even dispatch. Go to school in the evening and take some classes on-line (most of the VA community colleges offer on-line classes now). Get some schooling finished (make sure you take credit/transferrable classes, not just the "CJ curriculum" if you plan on getting a BS/BA) and get some job/life experience. Once you build your resume a bit and get some edumacation then start looking for sworn positions.

Don't be in such a hurry, slow down, make a plan and enjoy life. LE jobs aren't going anywhere.
                        "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by VargaM
                          Take my advice or dont. But I would ASK first. The job posting you listed, if you read it, says those are the requirements for employment w/ the Danville PD, nothing about being a sworn police officer with Danville. For all you know those are the basic req for being a dispatcher, secretary, etc etc.

Also, the code you posted includes jailers, which do not typically carry handguns. Again, those are basic reqs. needed to hold a postion listed in code, it doesnt mean that you can be an 18 year old sworn police officer.

Or, dont ask, and try it the hard way. Just let me know how it works out.

Comment

hey either way I will try and sometimes I get hardheaded and have to learn the hard way.
                            Baltimore Police Dept

Physical -TBD

Comment

I am going to attend UMC in oct. Semper Fi !! I will be going reserves, so I can attend college at the same time. My MOS will be Intel and I was wondering what kind of Law Enforcement Job I can get.
                              Baltimore Police Dept

Physical -TBD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2705 users online. 201 members and 2504 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X