300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal question

I have a friend who owns a vacation house in Virginia, but works and lives in NYC, is it legal for them to insure and register (get VA. license plates) there vehicles in in VA. because of cheaper insurance rates?

If not where can i find info to show them?

Thanks.........trying to do the right thing.

Fraud

Does your "friend" know the definition of fraud? You are asking if it is okay to violate the laws of the State of New York and the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as defrauding the insurance company? You are on the wrong forum. You should be on "Ask a Crook!"
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Even if they are registered in VA the insurance company is going to ask where the vehicles are primarily garaged. If they are registered in Timuktu, but garaged in East Harlem, you are going to pay East Harlem rates. You can lie to your insurance company if you want to, but when you make a claim, they're probably going to wonder why you told them that your vehicles are garaged in Timbuktu and they keep getting broken into in NYC.
      "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I used to be involved in the insurance business before getting back into law enforcement. The replies above are correct. Yes it is fraud to intentionally mislead the insurance company in order to say a few bucks. It is going to come down to where the vehicle is principally garaged 10 months out of the year as to where to insure it.
        The fact that those from up north try to do this all of the time made for a lot of unhappy people when the insurance company denied the claim. My wife received a call today from an insurance company in regards to the very same thing. One might wonder how the insurance company knows the deal. This was a no brainer as it came in the form of a P.S. from a US marshal- Be advised your clients car was sold at auction for $50.00 please remove it from her policy!
        Don't let your friend expose all they have worked for and accumalated over a lfetime.

Comment

Don't ask cops a legal question, ask lawyers.
          THIS POST IS NOT DIRECTED TO ANY ONE.

Comment

VA rapes their residents by charging a "personal property tax" on automobiles. The tax would probably exceed what you'd be saving on insurance, so even if you did want to lie & commit fraud, I really doubt it would be worth it.
            Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Amen to that! I have lived here almost 20 years and still hate to pay that onerous tax. Even with the phased-in "relief" from Gov. Gilmore back in 1998, that is still way too much money out of my pocket every year. I also think that it is a very expensive tax to collect (mailing costs, decals, etc., etc.). It almost seems as though you can never really 'own' your car here, since you pay the government ad infinitum long after the bank note has been paid off.

Not to hijack this into a political thread, but I know that our newest governor has been in office for 60 days and has already proposed a myriad of new tax hikes and 'user fees' - with which he seeks to grow our state government even more. I reckon we'll be back up to 100% of the car tax by the time he leaves office in January of 2010.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by Zipcreature
                Don't ask cops a legal question, ask lawyers.
                And this response comes from a non LEO ??? What a joke!
                "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

NYC,

You can register a vehicle in any state, as long as you have some type of address, a PO BOX will work in VA. The kicker is the state will report your address and type of vehicle to the county of residence where your PO box is located.

The county will then send you a "Personal Property bill" to that address for county tax. The newer the car, the more you pay. I have a 2001 truck and pay about 300-400 dollars a year, on top of the registration fee, which is 35.00 a year.

If you do not pay the property tax, the county administrator, can, and will, put a lien on the truck as well as any property in VA that is in your name.
                  If you pay the tax, then you are okay. There is nothing illegal in VA about that.

However, New York, may have a law, like VA does, which requires all residents to register all vehicles and obtain drivers licenses in VA within 30 days of obtaining residence. If not, you are subject to a summons for a misdemeanor each time you are stopped. So if you are driving around NY everyday with VA tags, the cops will notice a car with VA tags parking at places of employment, residence, etc.

Lastly, about insurance, I have no clue on that. I would assume, and it’s just an assumption, that the insurance company would want every last dime they can squeeze out of you. I guess if you have a wreck in NY, you can always tell them you were vacationing, but there goes the integrity, and if you get caught, then you’re up the creek. It’s a creative idea, but a lot of work to save a few bucks.

See if the NYSP has an insurance fraud unit, I know we do. Those guys are on top of the insurance laws. You can always go to the National Insurance Crime Bureau Website and shoot them a question. WWW.NICB.COM.

I am far from an expert on this, so I hope what ever I gave you helps.

Good luck!
                  Nobody, I mean nobody makes Sheriff Bufford T. Justice look like a possums pecker.

Comment

You are exempt from having to register your vehicle here under a few circumstances. One is being a resident in another state who is serving on active duty in the armed forces & is stationed here. Non-resident college students are also exempt......and there may be a few others as well.

The weird thing, though, is that the state (and also most counties here) requires you to register your car/truck within thirty days of obtaining residency; but you have 60 days in which to get a VA driver's license.

As for trying to "cheat" the system, it can be done -- but you better have a darn good alibi. My uncle registers his cars in Florida, even though he owns homes in both states and actually lives in VA for about six months of the year. Of course, the primary reason for him doing that was because Florida does not have a state income tax nor personal property tax.

Cha ching!!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5137 users online. 372 members and 4765 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X