300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roanoke, Virginia

Upon my retirement, we are considering moving to Roanoke, Virginia.

Does anyone have any information about the weather there?
    Specifically, the snow fall..
    how many times a season does the city get a snowfall of more than 3 inches?
    how many times a season does the city get a snowfall of more than 6 inches?

Anything else I need to know, good or bad?

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you
    10% of the cops do 90% of the work

What one person considers "a lot of snow" is probably "not much" to someone else. Roanoke is not exactly Minnesota or Michigan when it comes to snowfall, and they probably get less inclement weather than New Jersey. That being said, Roanoke will still get more snow than other areas of VA that are farther to the east. (Probably because of the mountains, I suppose.)

Still, though, remember that it is still part of the South -- very few people know how to drive in snow. Schools, government offices and quite a few private businesses shut down when they get more than an inch or two.

Go to the web page of The Weather Channel ( http://www.weather.com ) and I think you'll be able to find historical information about snowfall & precipitation in any part of the state.

As for other things, you are going to find that the people are pretty decent, the cost of living will be lower than up Nawth......but things tend to move much more slowly. "Fast food" is not going to be what you are accustomed to in the Garden State, but I reckon you're going to be okay. Oh, I almost forgot to mention taxes. While our taxes are still too high and our state government is too big, it will look like fiscal heaven compared to what you are accustomed to in Joisey. Real estate taxes will probably be half of what you paid before - and the general assessment will likely be much, much lower. We still have an income tax, though, and we have to pay personal property taxes on our cars every year, based upon their book value.

"A Yankee comes to visit, spends his money and then goes home. A damn Yankee stays."
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 03-04-2006, 07:41 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Thank you sir..

How many times a year do you get a storm with more than 6 inches of snow?
      10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

Hard to say.....as I don't live in Roanoke. I reckon they probably get one or two "decent" snowstorms with more than six inches in a typical winter season, but a few other "dustings" of snow every so often.

Even when it does snow, it seldom stays cold for very long and the stuff typically melts away soon after it falls. Again, it will not seem like a real winter to anyone from up nawth.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4718 users online. 310 members and 4408 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X