Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince William

You're Not A Cop Until You Taste Them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The department was all astir, there was a lot of laughing and joking due to all the new officers, myself included, hitting the streets today for the first time. After months of seemingly endless amounts of classes, paperwork, and lectures we were finally done with the Police Academy and ready to join the ranks of our department.

All you could see were rows of cadets with huge smiles and polished badges. As we sat in the briefing room, we could barely sit still anxiously awaiting our turn to be introduced and given our beat assignment or, for the lay person, our own portion of the city to "serve and protect."

It was then that he walked in. A statue of a man - 6 foot 3 and 230 pounds of solid muscle, he had black hair with highlights of gray and steely eyes that make you feel nervous even when he wasn't looking at you. He had a
    reputation for being the biggest and the smartest officer to ever work our fair city. He had been on the department for longer than anyone could remember and those years of service had made him into somewhat of a legend.

The new guys, or "rookies" as he called us, both respected and feared him. When he spoke even, the most seasoned officers paid attention. It was almost a priviledge when one the rookies got to be around when he would tell one of his police stories about the old days. But we knew our place and never interrupted for fear of being shooed away. He was respected and revered by all who knew him.

After my first year on the department I still had never heard or saw him speak to any of the rookies for any length of time. When he did speak to them all he would say was, "So, you want to be a policeman do you hero?"
    I'll tell you what, when you can tell me what they taste like,
    then you can call yourself a real policeman."

This particular phrase I had heard dozens of times. Me and my buddies all had bets about "what they taste like" actually referred to. Some believed it referred to the taste of your own blood after a hard fight. Others thought it referred to the taste of sweat after a long day's work. Being on the
    department for a year, I thought I knew just about everyone and everything.

So one afternoon, I mustered up the courage and walked up to him. When he looked down at me, I said "You know, I think I've paid my dues. I've been in plenty of fights, made dozens of arrests, and sweated my butt off just like everyone else. So what does that little saying of yours mean anyway?" With that, he merely stated, "Well, seeing as how you've said and done it all, you tell me what it means, hero." When I had no answer, he shook his head and snickered, "rookies," and walked away.

The next evening was to be the worst one to date. The night started out slow, but as the evening wore on, the calls became more frequent and dangerous. I made several small arrests and then had a real knock down drag out fight. However, I was able to make the arrest without hurting the suspect or myself. After that, I was looking forward to just letting the shift wind down and getting home to my wife and daughter.

I had just glanced at my watch and it was 11:55, five more minutes and I would be on my way to the house. I don't know if it was fatigue or just my imagination, but as I drove down one of the streets on my beat, I thought I saw my daughter standing on someone else's porch. I looked again but it was not my daughter as I had first thought but merely a small child about her age. She was probably only six or seven years old and dressed in an oversized shirt that hung to her feet. She was clutching an old rag doll in her arms that looked older than me.

I immediately stopped my patrol car to see what she was doing outside her house at such an hour by herself. When I approached, there seemed to be a sigh of relief on her face. I had to laugh to myself, thinking she sees the hero policeman come to save the day. I knelt at her side and asked what she was doing outside.

She said "My mommy and daddy just had a really big fight and now mommy won't wake up." My mind was reeling. Now what do I do? I instantly called for backup and ran to the nearest window. As I looked inside I saw a man standing over a lady with his hands covered in blood, her blood. I kicked
    open the door, pushed the man aside and checked for a pulse, but unable to find one. I immediately cuffed the man and began doing CPR on the lady.

It was then I heard a small voice from behind me, "Mr. Policeman, please make my mommy wake up." I continued to perform CPR until my backup and medics arrived but they said it was too late. She was dead.
    I then looked at the man. He said, "I don't know what happened. She was yelling at me to stop drinking and go get a job and I had just had enough. I just shoved her so she would leave me alone and she fell and hit her head."
    As I walked the man out to the car in handcuffs, I again saw that little girl. In the five minutes that has passed, I went from hero to monster. Not only was I unable to wake up her mommy, but now I was taking daddy away too.

Before I left the scene, I thought I would talk to the little girl. To say what, I don't know. Maybe just to tell her I was sorry about her mommy and daddy. But as I approached, she turned away and I knew it was useless and I would probably make it worse.

As I sat in the locker room at the station, I kept replaying the whole thing in my mind. Maybe if I would have been faster or done something different, just maybe that little girl would still have her mother. And even though it may sound selfish, I would still be the hero.

It was then that I felt a large hand on my shoulder. I heard that all too familiar question again, "Well, hero, what do they taste like?"

But before I could get mad or shout some sarcastic remark, I realized that all the pent up emotions had flooded the surface and there was a steady stream of tears cascading down my face. It was at that moment that I realized what the answer to his question was.

Tears.

With that, he began to walk away, but he stopped. "You know, there was
    nothing you could have done differently," he said. "Sometimes you can do
    everything right and still the outcome is the same. You may not be the
    hero you once thought you were, but now you ARE a police officer."
    Last edited by surfnski911; 08-04-2005, 11:47 AM.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." ~AE

Mva-doa

Accident kills Woodbridge man

By DAVID STEGON
    [email protected]
    Thursday, August 11, 2005

The speeding car left Rt.1 southbound, crashed through a tree, struck the corner of the BP gas station, then hit the gas pumps and awning support of the building, collapsing the awning on top of the vehicle. (Lawrence Giberson Photo)
    A 30-year-old Woodbridge man died after he lost control of his car and crashed into a Dumfries gas station early Thursday morning, Prince William County police said.

Markeet L. Berryman, of 17015 Islip Loop, Apt. 204, was thrown an estimated 46 feet from his Honda Accord after crashing into a gas pump at the B.P. Gas Station in the 17400 block of Jefferson Davis Highway around 4:40 a.m., said officer John Bogert, police spokesman.

Berryman was driving south on Jefferson Davis Highway, not more than a mile from his home, when he lost control of the car. He hopped over a median and swerved across Jefferson Davis Highway. His car struck a tree and collided with the service station, before spinning into a gas pump, police said.

He was pronounced dead on the scene, police said.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." ~AE

Comment

Police Re-open 21 Year Old Murder Case

POTOMAC NEWS ... SERVING PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, VIRGINIA AND SURROUNDING AREAS

Police reopen 21-year-old murder case

David Stegon
      Potomac News
      Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Virginia State Police started a task force last spring to reopen the 21-year-old murder case of trooper Johnny Rush Bowman, who was killed inside his Manassas home.
      The task force, which includes investigators from state police, Manassas City police and the Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney's Office, are reviewing the evidence in the case and interviewing key suspects again in hopes of closing the only unsolved murder of a state trooper, said Capt. Gary Jenkins, department spokesman.

"We hope that new technology that was not available when the case started can help lead us to the killer," Jenkins said.

Around 4:15 a.m. Aug. 19, 1984, Bowman was at his Bristoe Station home in Manassas when the doorbell rang. When he opened the door, a man pushed his way in and stabbed Bowman 45 times before running off.

Bowman, who had a wife and a 2-year-old daughter, died and the case remains unsolved. No charges have been brought against several suspects, including a former state trooper who was the primary suspect throughout the case.

Jenkins hopes that advances in police technology, such as DNA testing, can link one of several suspects in the case to the killer.

Along with advances in technology, Jenkins hopes that the task force will keep the case in the public eye.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call (703) 323-4543. Anyone who calls can remain anonymous.

Staff writer David Stegon can be reached at (703) 878-8065.

Copyright

Comment

Suspect Turns Himself In

Suspect in police assault turns himself in

David Stegon
        Potomac News

A 43-year-old former Dale City resident who was wanted for allegedly striking a police officer with an SUV turned himself into police Wednesday evening, ending a massive one-day manhunt, a Prince William County police spokeswoman said.
        Gary Eugene Robinson turned himself into the Gar-Field police substation in Woodbridge around 6 p.m., after running from police since Tuesday night, said 1st Sgt. Kim Chinn, police spokeswoman.

Robinson, formerly of 13824 Gilbert Drive, is expected to be charged with attempted malicious wounding of a police officer, reckless driving and hit and run.

Robinson is accused of striking a police officer with a Jeep Cherokee outside the Wachovia Bank at 12711 Marblestone Drive near the Prince William County Center development on the Prince William Parkway around 7:40 p.m. Tuesday.

Several detectives tried to arrest Robinson, who was wanted for failing to appear in court for a February indictment, when he allegedly sped off. Police said he drove into an unmarked police car.

The officer getting out of the car, Detective John Mora, was knocked to the ground.

Another officer on scene fired several shots at the Cherokee but was unable to stop it. Robinson escaped and his Cherokee was found a short time later in the 13000 block of Kenbury Drive in Dale City, police said.

Mora was taken to Potomac Hospital where he was treated for minor injuries and released. He was back at work Wednesday.

It was not clear if Robinson intentionally tried to hit Mora or if he accidentally struck him while trying to elude police.

Charlie T. Deane, Prince William County police chief, said Mora, whom he visited at the hospital, was thrown on the hood of the SUV.

"It appears that the detective's ballistic vest may have prevented more serious injuries," Deane said. "This is an example of the risks officers face everyday."

The arrest ends the hunt for Robinson, who was believed to have ties to the Culpeper area as well as eastern Prince William County. Swarms of officers patrolled the county, primarily in Dumfries and Triangle on Tuesday night and most of Wednesday until Robinson turned himself in.

Police will conduct an internal investigation of the incident since shots were fired at the suspect's vehicle.

Staff writer David Stegon can be reached at (703) 878-8065.

Comment

Prince William Co Police Blotter

Police blotter

David Stegon
          Potomac News

Prince William County police reported the following incidents:
          Appliances valued at $2,323 were stolen from a home under construction in the 3300 block of Logstone Drive in Triangle between 4 p.m. Monday and 7:45 a.m. Tuesday.

Two go-karts valued at a combined $4,000 were stolen from a garage in the 18300 block of Jefferson Davis Highway in Triangle between 8:15 p.m. Monday and 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Compact discs, DVDs and other electronics valued at a combined $1,525 were stolen from a home in the 8000 block of Ashland Avenue in the Sudley Road area north of Manassas between 8:45 a.m. and 9:15 p.m. Aug. 18.

A purse containing a cell phone and a BlackBerry wireless e-mail device valued at a combined $1,500 was stolen from the 9900 block of Rickover Court in the Sudley Road area north of Manassas between 11 p.m. Sunday and 6 a.m. Monday.

Someone shot a BB into a home in the 14200 block of Caroline Street in Woodbridge, breaking several windows valued at a combined $1,000 around 9 p.m. Saturday.

An industrial electric generator valued at $39,000 was stolen from a construction site in the 10600 block of Balls Ford Road north of Manassas between 4 p.m. Saturday and 6:15 a.m. Monday.

A bicycle valued at $300 was stolen from the backyard of a home in the 7400 block of Emerald Drive in the Sudley Road area north of Manassas between 4 a.m. Aug. 12 and noon Aug. 13.

Tools valued at $681 were stolen from a pick-up truck parked in the 4300 block of Jonathan Court in Dale City between 7:30 p.m. Monday and 7:15 a.m. Tuesday.

A cell phone and BlackBerry wireless e-mail device valued at a combined $499 were stolen from a vehicle parked in the 9600 block of Looking Glass Court in the Sudley Road area north of Manassas between 9:30 p.m. Sunday and 5:10 a.m. Monday.

A 1990 Honda Accord valued at $1,000 was stolen from the 1300 block of Mead Terrace in Woodbridge between 5 and 7 a.m. Tuesday.

-- David Stegon

Comment

Extreme K9 Training

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/wmv/policedogs.wmv

Comment

Exremely Graphic

www.dumpalink.com/media/1281

THIS IS VERY GRAPHIC, BUT VERY VALUABLE. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T FOGET TO SEARCH SUSPECTS. THIS COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN THE OFFICER, WITH OUT A DOUBT. IT HAS OPENED MY EYES CONSIDERABLY.

Comment

Police Blotter 9.7.05

RELATED The Police Beat

Three men set fire to car in Georgetown South area
                Three men set a car on fire in the Georgetown South area of Manassas on Wednesday, the Manassas City Fire Marshal

Comment

Originally posted by surfnski911
                  www.dumpalink.com/media/1281

THIS IS VERY GRAPHIC, BUT VERY VALUABLE. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T FOGET TO SEARCH SUSPECTS. THIS COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN THE OFFICER, WITH OUT A DOUBT. IT HAS OPENED MY EYES CONSIDERABLY.
                  Damn. Hate to be the one to tell the chief about that.

Life begins at 40...

Comment

Atm Warning

From: [email protected] Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
                    Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:34:18 EDT
                    Subject: Fwd: FW: State Police Warning - ATM Machines
                    To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Forwarded Message [ Download File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
                    Subject: FW: State Police Warning - ATM Machines
                    Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:17:46 +0000

Plain Text Attachment [ Download File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

>From: "Collins Lashana (DOJ)" <[email protected]>
                    >To: "Grace Danica (DOJ)" <[email protected]>,"Jackson Mary
                    (DOJ)"
                    ><[email protected]>,"Ericka Tingle" <[email protected]>,"Alexis
                    >Handy"
                    ><[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<toby.f [email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<michell [email protected]>,<[email protected]>,"Claire
                    >Robinson" <[email protected]>,"Ferebee Vicky (DHSS)"
                    ><[email protected]>,"Waples Princella (DHSS)"
                    ><[email protected]>
                    >Subject: FW: State Police Warning - ATM Machines
                    >Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:36:14 -0400
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >-----Original Message-----
                    >From: Carroll Lois N. (DOJ)
                    >Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 9:23 AM
                    >To: Schmidt Ellie (DOJ); Collins Lashana (DOJ); 'Allen, Nadine A';
                    >'[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
                    >Subject: FW: State Police Warning - ATM Machines
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >A fast check on Urban Legends & Folklore shows this to be real.
                    Please
                    >be careful.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >This is IMPORTANT to look out for!
                    >
                    >Bank ATM's Converted to Steal IDs of Bank Customers
                    >
                    >A team of organized criminals are installing equipment on legitimate
                    >bank ATM's in at least 2 regions to steal both the ATM card number and
                    >the PIN. The team sits nearby in a car receiving the information
                    >transmitted wirelessly over weekends a nd evenings from equipment they
                    >install on the front of the ATM (see photos). If you see an attachment
                    >like this, do not use the ATM and report it immediately to the bank
                    >using the 800 number or phone on the front of the ATM.
                    >The equipment used to capture your ATM card number and PIN are
                    cleverly
                    >disguised to look like normal ATM equipment. A "skimmer" is mounted to
                    >the front of the normal ATM card slot that reads the ATM card number
                    and
                    >transmits it to the criminals sitting in a nearby car.
                    >At the same time, a wireless camera is di sguised to look like a
                    leaflet
                    >holder and is mounted in a position to view ATM PIN entries.
                    >The thieves copy the cards and use the PIN numbers to withdraw
                    thousands
                    >from many accounts in a very short time directly from the bank ATM.
                    >
                    >Equipment being installed on front of existing bank card slot.
                    >
                    >
                    >The equipment as it appears installed over the normal ATM bank slot.
                    >
                    >
                    >The PIN reading camera being installed on the ATM is housed in an
                    >innocent looking leaflet enclosure.
                    >
                    >
                    >The camera shown installed and ready to capture PIN's by looking down
                    on
                    >the keypad as you enter your PIN
                    >Tell more people>>>>>>
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >Becky L. Walden
                    >Pa State Police
                    >[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
                    >610-268-2022
                    >
                    >
                    Last edited by surfnski911; 09-21-2005, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Police Blotter

Police briefs and blotter for Sept. 20

Potomac News
                      Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Two men attempt to rob two others in Woodbridge
                      Two men armed with a gun tried to rob two other men at a Woodbridge shopping center Friday night, Prince William County police said.

The two victims were in the 13700 block of Folger Square around 11 p.m. when two men approached them and showed a gun, but the victims ran away without being robbed, police said.

The robbers are described as black men with no clothing description. One of the men was 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 180 pounds, while the other was 5 feet 8 inches tall.

Three rob Manassas teen near apartment complex
                      Three men robbed a Manassas teenager as he was walking near a Sudley Road area apartment complex Sunday night, Prince William County police said.

The victim was in the 10900 block of Coverstone Drive around 9 p.m. when three men approached him and hit him in the back with a piece of wood, police said.

They stole the man

Comment

Horrific

http://www.notworksafe.com/videos/vi...iceassault.wmv

I KNOW THIS VIDEO IS OLD, AND ALOT OF YOU HAVE ALREADY PROBABLY SEEN IT, BUT I REMEMBER FIRST SEEING IT WHEN I WAS A LITTLE KID, AND CAN REMEMBER THE BIGGEST LUMP I EVER FELT IN THE BACK OF MY THROAT ALONG WITH THE RAGE. IT STILL BRINGS ME TO THE POINT THAT I HAVE TO TAKE OUT SOME FRUSTRATION IN ORDER TO CALM MYSELF AFTER WATCHING IT.
                        Last edited by surfnski911; 09-21-2005, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Well 19, 11 weeks down and 15 more to go. Hang in there.

Comment

Police Looters?

http://www.notworksafe.com/videos/vi...in-walmart.wmv
                            Last edited by surfnski911; 10-01-2005, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Ha!

http://www.copsonline.com/mpeg/CarWash.mpeg

HOW TO GET RID OF THEM...
                              Last edited by surfnski911; 10-06-2005, 06:36 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2761 users online. 155 members and 2606 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X