Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairfax County (NOVA) Academy Information

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fairfax County (NOVA) Academy Information

    Hello everyone,

    Can anyone provide general information about the FCPD Academy (Or any department in the NOVA area since one can assume they might be similar)?

    - What's the weekly schedule(M-Th, 6-4,)?
    - Is PT in the AM or PM?
    - Do you run indoors or outside?
    - Would you say the first half of the academy is focused more on one thing than the second half (more Cardio/PT in 1st half than 2nd half, etc.)?
    - Is there anything you wish you had known or done/prepared for prior to the start of the academy?

    Thank you for your time.

  • #2
    I know it is Monday to Friday.

    I believe 0700-1530. You actually go in earlier in the morning because students have to set up.

    Starts with range and DT.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't know about Fairfax county as I am not with one of the agencies that go there (Fairfax county police and sheriffs town of Herndon)

      But everyone else minus Prince William county pd and sheriffs goes to the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Traning Academy.

      You can Google their website and find most of the information you want on there.

      The academy is Tuesday through Friday 6am- 330 pm or later depending on what your doing that day. Almost everything you so is scheduled out so you know what your doing. The class is broken up into sections and each section does everything together until break out (firearms and driving) but again everything you do is scheduled out.

      You get assigned to a squad for pt and dt based upon your run time and you workout everyday towards the end of the day. Depending on your squad you are in, you either do dt first then the workout which varies each day.(run, weight lifting, cross fit etc.) We all ways ran outside unless it's bad weather then you do stuff inside.

      Just remember to budget your time once the day is over. you may have homework or something to do at home. And get to the academy at least 30 min early to get your gear in order or turn in assignments.

      Ps traffic is a pain in the @$$ on the roads here you get out right at the start of rush hour.

      Comment


      • #4

        One police academy building is located on Lee Rd in Chantilly -- just south of US Route 50 and west of VA Route 28. If you have been to the Costco, it is about 1/2 mile away from it. It is in a commercial area, with a lot of big-box stores, car dealerships, retail shops, restaurants and office buildings within close proximity.

        If you go there, you'll see plenty of low-flying planes as well. Dulles Airport is just a mile or so to the north.

        The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

        The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

        ------------------------------------------------

        "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ef87c View Post
          I don't know about Fairfax county as I am not with one of the agencies that go there (Fairfax county police and sheriffs town of Herndon)

          But everyone else minus Prince William county pd and sheriffs goes to the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Traning Academy.

          You can Google their website and find most of the information you want on there.

          The academy is Tuesday through Friday 6am- 330 pm or later depending on what your doing that day. Almost everything you so is scheduled out so you know what your doing. The class is broken up into sections and each section does everything together until break out (firearms and driving) but again everything you do is scheduled out.

          You get assigned to a squad for pt and dt based upon your run time and you workout everyday towards the end of the day. Depending on your squad you are in, you either do dt first then the workout which varies each day.(run, weight lifting, cross fit etc.) We all ways ran outside unless it's bad weather then you do stuff inside.

          Just remember to budget your time once the day is over. you may have homework or something to do at home. And get to the academy at least 30 min early to get your gear in order or turn in assignments.

          Ps traffic is a pain in the @$$ on the roads here you get out right at the start of rush hour.


          Is North Virginia criminal justice academy very paramilitary? I heard some stories it was kinda laid back?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Differ View Post
            Is North Virginia criminal justice academy very paramilitary? I heard some stories it was kinda laid back?
            Its a "college" like atmosphere, if you attend here you will be in a classroom environment 90% of the time. This is an example of a typical day: for example 0600-0800 legal :laws of arrest 0815-0830 roll call 0830-1100 legal: search and seizure 1100-1230 VCIN/NCIC class 1230-1330 lunch 1330-1430 interview and interrogation 1430-1630 skills (pt and dt).

            You can check out their website here http://www.nvcja.org/ for more info. The staff at the academy and your agency that hired you expects you to be professional, responsible, and act like an adult, and the instructors will treat you the same. That may sound simple but with a police academy with over 17 member agencies your class will be large (100+) and filled with various people. To quote an instructor "the nail that sticks out gets hammered." Unlike agencies that have their own academy and training curriculum which tend to weed out the undesirables this academy wants to train you to state requirements. If you fail a test, or have issues with the staff it will be brought to your agency and they will most likely fire you (seen it done). Once you graduate the real sink or swim is how you do on FTO, and every agency does field training differently. So learn, ask questions because the instructors at NVCJTA are experienced and will do what they can to help you succeed.
            Last edited by ef87c; 03-03-2015, 04:17 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Academically how challenging is it? I have an AAS and I'm an okay learner. Just curious. Might be in the next class there.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Differ View Post
                Academically how challenging is it? I have an AAS and I'm an okay learner. Just curious. Might be in the next class there.
                With all honesty it's not that bad. The worst thing about the Academy is that there are a million and one things for you to learn. The instructors will definitely work with you, and if you need help they're more than willing to meet with you after class.

                another major difference between this academy and Fairfax and Prince William is you will not be going over General Orders or agency policies.(17 different agencies 17 different rules) I think this makes Northern Virginia a couple weeks shorter than the other two.

                most new recruits get hired about a month or two before they actually start the academy( some agencies not all). That time before training is usually when your agencies training unit covers policy and what not. I know that some of the agencies including mine, have an additional month long post academy session which focuses on radar/ lidar certification, tazer, and use of force training. Every department is a little different.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Differ View Post
                  Academically how challenging is it? I have an AAS and I'm an okay learner. Just curious. Might be in the next class there.
                  Are you applying for Fairfax County or a department that goes to NVCJA? I wasn't sure, so I thought that i would ask. If Fairfax County, how far along are you, and what do you think so far? I take the PAT on the 18th.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I actually applied to Washington metro transit police

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Differ View Post
                      I actually applied to Washington metro transit police
                      one thing I can tell you about Metro transit is that they also have their own Academy as well. That Academy gets you certified in DC and Maryland as a police officer. Some of the guys that I went to the Academy with in Ashburn, had already gone through Metros academy and obviously were a great asset when it came down to studying. some of the other guys end up going to the Metro Academy afterwards.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Pm sent ef87c

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm curious about the NVJCA PT during the week; what is a normal PT session like? The site says physical training occurs daily, but do they split up strength training PT sessions and cardio/endurance training PT sessions during the week? Thanks in advance for any insight.
                          Last edited by JP08; 01-28-2016, 09:05 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JP08 View Post
                            I'm curious about the NVJCA PT during the week; what is a normal PT session like? The site says physical training occurs daily, but do they split up strength training PT sessions and cardio/endurance training PT sessions during the week? Thanks in advance for any insight.
                            If you read one of my earlier replies the answer to your question is there. But yes you work out everyday and workout varies from CrossFit like training, running, obstacle courses, and traditional weight lifting. It is what you make it to be. They have good work out equipment.
                            Last edited by ef87c; 01-29-2016, 03:20 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ef87c View Post
                              If you read one of my earlier replies the answer to your question is there. But yes you work out everyday and workout varies from CrossFit like training, running, obstacle courses, and traditional weight lifting. It is what you make it to be. They have good work out equipment.
                              Thanks for the reply. I was just curious about the details, I want to mix up my gym routine and be ready for anything; I don't want to be the guy who is painfully sore after week 1.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3091 users online. 184 members and 2907 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X