Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henrico and Chesterfield PD

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Henrico and Chesterfield PD

    Hello,

    I was wondering if anybody had any insight on Henrico and Chesterfield PD. I am originally from Chesterfield PD, and I know it is a nice area. I have heard that both PD's are good to go, but I would love some more info. I also would like to know my chances of getting hired. I am 22 (will be 23 when applying), currently a Sergeant in the Marines, and when I get out of the military I will have 5 years experience in the Intelligence field. I also have 30 plus college credits. I ask because I have heard these departments can be hard to get on with, especially Henrico. I originally did not to want to move back so close to home, but my wife is starting to make me think about doing it, so I am trying to get some info just in case I decide to. I have mostly been looking into Hampton, which seems like a pretty good department.
    Last edited by I'm a doer; 09-08-2014, 11:46 PM.

  • #2

    With military experience (honorably discharged) and some college credits, I suppose you are in the top tier of candidates. Henrico and Chesterfield are "tough" departments and can be selective in whom they hire, but remember that they probably hire 20+ people for each academy and the populations of both counties are growing.

    Don't just limit yourself to those places, though. Consider Richmond & Petersburg (cities), Hanover County (full-service sheriff's office with no PD in that county), the Town of Ashland PD, Spotsylvania County and Stafford County (also full-service sheriff's offices). Use the shotgun approach and apply to several agencies. Increase your chances, so to speak, and don't be afraid to let each one know that you also have applications in elsewhere. They're likely to ask and they WILL find out anyway. :-)


    ** P.S. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! **

    The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

    The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

    ------------------------------------------------

    "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the reply VA Dutch. As far as some of the city police, I have kind of over looked them because the pay seems a heck of a lot lower. I know anybody becoming a cop doesn't do it for the money, but there are still bills and a family to take care of. I will still apply most likely though. As far as sheriff departments go, I have heard things like you have to do your first year in the jail, and other duties like courthouse and stuff, is that true? If so or not, how does that all work, because somebody has to do those jobs. Hanover county does interest me, a large area for jurisdiction.

      Comment


      • #4

        Hanover County doesn't really have a jail - per se - as their prisoners go to the Pamunkey Regional Jail, which has its own staff that is separate from the sheriff's office. Their sheriff's office is "full service" and has both a court services (bailiffs, etc.) division & a patrol division, as they don't have a county police department.

        They pay fairly well and you get a take-home car if you live in the county. Many other agencies in the area do the same thing. The cars end up lasting longer, they are cared for a bit better and you don't have to drive a 'dragon wagon' when the previous officer/deputy was a complete slob. Chesterfield and Henrico have take-home cars, too.

        Caroline County (north of Hanover) is very rural, but they're growing quickly and are probably going to need more deputies in the coming years. It depends upon where you really want to go to work & live, but you seem as though your choices are wide open.

        I doubt you'd have to work in the jail at the beginning of your career, but it would probably not hurt you at all to do so. I've been "out of it" for a decade now, but most places back then hired DIRECTLY for patrol or for jail & court services. Again, best of luck!


        :-)
        Last edited by VA Dutch; 09-09-2014, 08:19 PM.

        The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

        The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

        ------------------------------------------------

        "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

        Comment


        • #5
          I work for an agency in Northern Virginia, but have done ride-alongs with both Henrico and Chesterfield in the past 6 months. Henrico is far and away a better agency, in terms of how they are treated and the support they get from the county government. You get a take-home car after everyone in your group passes field training, the county actually funds career development (i.e. giving you extra money for the amount of college credits you have), the technology and GPS on your take-home MDB computer is also good, and you have the best pay in the area. The officers there are happy and they actually had to think hard in order to find something to complain about. Additionally, they buy about 130 cruisers a year, so they are pretty serious about their fleet and the take-home program. Additionally, the county is very pro-police, and .75 cents of every budget dollar in Henrico goes to either police, fire, or schools. So, the county prioritizes essential items, which is something you can't say for places like Richmond or Alexandria. The only complaint I had was "big brother" watching them on the GPS systems. But, if you do your job, that should never matter.

          Then, I rode with Chesterfield. Their starting pay is about 3K behind Henrico's, but still manageable given how affordable the Richmond area is. Their county barely gives them raises and they have to fight for it every year, sometimes to no avail. I rode with an Officer who had two years on, and he was still at his starting pay. They have take-homes as well, as well as individually assigned MDB computers. The MDB software wasn't as up to date as my agency or Henrico's, and they have a lot of things blocked, like internet explorer which would make it hard to follow up cases. A lot of Officers I met there seemed unhappy, mostly because of pay but also because of command staff, but you will have people complain about command staff everywhere.

          You could probably have a blast at either agency in terms of workload. Both have very urban, suburban, and rural parts--Henrico is big geographically, but Chesterfield is even bigger. It would probably be pretty equal in terms of the type of work you can get in to.

          Just to bring the point home, this is from the perspective of someone who did ride-along while already being a cop, so I didn't have the usual officer who pretends everything is 100% perfect in order to keep up appearances. Hope this helps.

          Chesterfield also had take-home cars

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you laker fan and VA Dutch for the responses, extremely helpful. I think I will apply around the area, but Chesterfield and Henrico will probably be my top choices, especially since my wife has college in southern chesterfield. As far as area to live, as long as I can find a place with at least 3 acres of land, I am fine. Hope to get that in such large counties. Again, thanks for the info. Does anybody know how often they typically hire and how many applicants.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by I'm a doer View Post
              Thank you laker fan and VA Dutch for the responses, extremely helpful. I think I will apply around the area, but Chesterfield and Henrico will probably be my top choices, especially since my wife has college in southern chesterfield. As far as area to live, as long as I can find a place with at least 3 acres of land, I am fine. Hope to get that in such large counties. Again, thanks for the info. Does anybody know how often they typically hire and how many applicants.
              I PMed you. Get it?

              Comment


              • #8
                If you're looking for a good amount of land, check out Dinwiddie as well. Not a bad commute and much more open space. You'll still have a car assigned to you, but you won't be able to take it home since you'd live outside of the county. You'd have to leave your vehicle at the north or south station or at the HQ building.

                I can't speak for recently, but I worked for Chesterfield from 2008 - 2012. I believe we were averaging 2 academies/year then. The process for me from the moment I applied to the academy start date was right at 6 months. I'm not sure how many people applied when I did, but the class started with 23 and I believe we graduated 19.

                -Shawn

                Originally posted by I'm a doer View Post
                As far as area to live, as long as I can find a place with at least 3 acres of land, I am fine. Hope to get that in such large counties. Does anybody know how often they typically hire and how many applicants.
                Chesterfield County Police

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mysticine View Post
                  If you're looking for a good amount of land, check out Dinwiddie as well. Not a bad commute and much more open space. You'll still have a car assigned to you, but you won't be able to take it home since you'd live outside of the county. You'd have to leave your vehicle at the north or south station or at the HQ building.

                  I can't speak for recently, but I worked for Chesterfield from 2008 - 2012. I believe we were averaging 2 academies/year then. The process for me from the moment I applied to the academy start date was right at 6 months. I'm not sure how many people applied when I did, but the class started with 23 and I believe we graduated 19.

                  -Shawn


                  Well I do like the idea of taking the vehicle home. Saves on gas and miles on my own vehicle. I feel that if I am patient, I should be able to find some land within either counties. Thanks for the input though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lakerfan91 View Post
                    I work for an agency in Northern Virginia, but have done ride-alongs with both Henrico and Chesterfield in the past 6 months. Henrico is far and away a better agency, in terms of how they are treated and the support they get from the county government. You get a take-home car after everyone in your group passes field training, the county actually funds career development (i.e. giving you extra money for the amount of college credits you have), the technology and GPS on your take-home MDB computer is also good, and you have the best pay in the area. The officers there are happy and they actually had to think hard in order to find something to complain about. Additionally, they buy about 130 cruisers a year, so they are pretty serious about their fleet and the take-home program. Additionally, the county is very pro-police, and .75 cents of every budget dollar in Henrico goes to either police, fire, or schools. So, the county prioritizes essential items, which is something you can't say for places like Richmond or Alexandria. The only complaint I had was "big brother" watching them on the GPS systems. But, if you do your job, that should never matter.

                    Then, I rode with Chesterfield. Their starting pay is about 3K behind Henrico's, but still manageable given how affordable the Richmond area is. Their county barely gives them raises and they have to fight for it every year, sometimes to no avail. I rode with an Officer who had two years on, and he was still at his starting pay. They have take-homes as well, as well as individually assigned MDB computers. The MDB software wasn't as up to date as my agency or Henrico's, and they have a lot of things blocked, like internet explorer which would make it hard to follow up cases. A lot of Officers I met there seemed unhappy, mostly because of pay but also because of command staff, but you will have people complain about command staff everywhere.

                    You could probably have a blast at either agency in terms of workload. Both have very urban, suburban, and rural parts--Henrico is big geographically, but Chesterfield is even bigger. It would probably be pretty equal in terms of the type of work you can get in to.

                    Just to bring the point home, this is from the perspective of someone who did ride-along while already being a cop, so I didn't have the usual officer who pretends everything is 100% perfect in order to keep up appearances. Hope this helps.

                    Chesterfield also had take-home cars
                    Henrico County now gives you a car once you get out of the academy, but you can not take it home until you personally pass field training. Also Henrico is currently getting rid of the Crown Vics and moving all towards the Taurus. I was a little unsure of this, but I drove the Taurus the other day and lets just say it is an amazing car. The in car computers are great and can point you to the right place. I am not originally from Henrico and have had to learn the lay of the land by trial and error. The GPS Helps a lot. I can't speak to Chesterfield, but have heard good things.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Keaner, Do you work for Henrico?

                      At my agency in NoVA, I drive a Taurus; however, mine has a full cage. I remember when I rode with Henrico-none of their cruisers have cages. When you put a cage in the new Taurus, that will make you think differently about the comfort level!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here in Chesterfield, our new Taurus' do not have cages in them, however; if an officer wants a cage, they are outfitting them with cages, but its not a requirement as of now. But, as a new guy or gal, you wouldn't see a Taurus here for a few years. We still run a lot of Crown Vics and Chargers, most of which have full cages.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lakerfan91 View Post
                          Keaner, Do you work for Henrico?

                          At my agency in NoVA, I drive a Taurus; however, mine has a full cage. I remember when I rode with Henrico-none of their cruisers have cages. When you put a cage in the new Taurus, that will make you think differently about the comfort level!
                          I do. Henrico transports the arrested in the front seat of the cruiser. So no need for a cage

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 16358 users online. 371 members and 15987 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X