300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairfax County Police is Hiring

Fairfax County Police is currently accepting applications. Next academy starts January 2015. Additional academy classes planned for 2015.

Salary: $49,083.76 - $79,953.32 Annually

Hiring Timeline: 4-6 months

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
    Associate or higher degree in law enforcement, public administration or related field. Prior law enforcement or military experience. Current law enforcement officer certification in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Professional working proficiency, or higher, in one or more of the following languages: Spanish, Korean, and/or Vietnamese.

NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
    Must be a citizen of the United States;

Must be 20 years old, or within 180 days of 21st birthday at time of application, or currently a Police Cadet and within 180 days of 21st birthday;

Must successfully complete a criminal background investigation, a polygraph examination, a psychological examination, and a physical ability test prior to appointment;

Must be able to perform essential job functions (reasonable accommodation may be made on a case-by-case-basis);

Must have never committed, been involved in, or been convicted of, a felony or serious misdemeanor;

Must be of good character and reputation;

Incumbents shall not use any tobacco products on and off duty starting at the time of appointment. The incumbent must be willing to sign a Condition of Employment Agreement acknowledging the prohibition of the use of tobacco products both on and off duty;

Possession of a valid motor vehicle driver's license at time of appointment;
    By the end of the probationary period, must obtain the following Information Network (VCIN); Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services; and Certification in the Virginia Crime and off duty;

Subsequent to a conditional job offer, applicants must take and pass a comprehensive medical examination, including drug testing and a vision standard not worse than 20/200, provided there has been at least three months of success wearing soft contact lenses.

Please refer to the below link for all information:

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/fai...FwddxPacket%3E

Can you explain the process for an out-of-state certified police officer?

- Still need to attend a full recruit academy?
    - Would the starting pay be different?

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
      Can you explain the process for an out-of-state certified police officer?

- Still need to attend a full recruit academy?
      - Would the starting pay be different?
      An out of state officer will still need to attend the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy to obtain Virginia certification. FCPD does give consideration for salary to sworn police officers who perform similar duties. The current increase in salary is approximately 5% for every 2 years of experience, with a maximum credit achieved at 8 years of experience (20% increase).

Comment

Members of the public here hold this PD in very high regard, FWIW. We brim with pride about our PD, FD, and Sheriff's Dept.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairfax County PD View Post
          An out of state officer will still need to attend the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy to obtain Virginia certification. FCPD does give consideration for salary to sworn police officers who perform similar duties. The current increase in salary is approximately 5% for every 2 years of experience, with a maximum credit achieved at 8 years of experience (20% increase).
          Thank you.

Is the Criminal Justice Academy paramilitary in nature or more of a college instructional atmosphere?

I tried looking on your website for retirement information but am having a hard time finding what I want to know -- How many years on do you need before retirement and what is the percentage? Credit given (years) from previous law enforcement experience?

Comment

Turned in my application today and have my written exam on 16 July. 3 plus years as Army CID, 11 years military, BA in Criminal Justice.
            Croc

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
              Thank you.

Is the Criminal Justice Academy paramilitary in nature or more of a college instructional atmosphere?

I tried looking on your website for retirement information but am having a hard time finding what I want to know -- How many years on do you need before retirement and what is the percentage? Credit given (years) from previous law enforcement experience?

Comment

I would characterize the academy more as a college atmosphere. It is not as rigid as a military operation, but they do keep everything orderly and systematic. No yelling and screaming as seen on TV at a true para-military academy.

A full description of our retirement can be found at:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/retirem...cehandbook.pdf

Beginning July 1, 2014, our contribution to our retirement system will drop from the current 10% to %8.6 percent. It is an excellent retirement plan and does not contribute to, nor depend on Social Security.
                Last edited by Fairfax County PD; 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Currently in the Marine Corps and really trying to determine between FL and VA, just wondering if anyone could shed some like on the cost of living in va? Is this pay enough for a family of 4? My sister and brother in law do alright but they have a condo...and it's expensive. I just don't wanna get out to find out that salary won't cut it, but I am done with military life. Thanks
                  USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
                  Oorah!

Comment

Originally posted by 813Deputy2b View Post
                    Currently in the Marine Corps and really trying to determine between FL and VA, just wondering if anyone could shed some like on the cost of living in va? Is this pay enough for a family of 4? My sister and brother in law do alright but they have a condo...and it's expensive. I just don't wanna get out to find out that salary won't cut it, but I am done with military life. Thanks
                    813, the cost of living in this county is high but I don't have the comps or figures to make the case whether the highler salaries (compared to places with lower cola) make up for it.

Hopefully someone will be along to answer that. If you don't get any feedback, please PM me as I typically forget to check this particular forum, and I'll try to give you specific feedback.

Comment

813, Im in the Army and stationed here in the DC area, BAH for a SSG with Dep is $2,700 per month to give you an idea of the cost of living. There are cheaper areas but then you have to deal with traffic. I would reccommend having your wife start looking for employment also before moving here.
                      Croc

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by 813Deputy2b View Post
                        For a family of four.... not in Fairfax County, not today. You could possibly do it in Prince William or Faquier County, but on what the FFCPD would pay, no.

The cost of living in Fairfax is much higher than the national average.

From what I understand, you;d need to be paid something of around 30 to 40% more in Fairfax County to have an approximately standard of living in the "average" county of the United States.

Consider that 1 bed/1 bath 800 square foot condos in the area go for the $200,000 (if you want something decent) to even more....

Comment

Thank you everyone for the input I'll def think twice then. I felt the same way it's just so expensive. Much appreciated everyone!
                          USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
                          Oorah!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny5678 View Post
                            For a family of four.... not in Fairfax County, not today. You could possibly do it in Prince William or Faquier County, but on what the FFCPD would pay, no.

The cost of living in Fairfax is much higher than the national average.

From what I understand, you;d need to be paid something of around 30 to 40% more in Fairfax County to have an approximately standard of living in the "average" county of the United States.

Consider that 1 bed/1 bath 800 square foot condos in the area go for the $200,000 (if you want something decent) to even more....
                            When you say Prince William is that the PD in Maryland? Our PWCPD in VA?
                            USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
                            Oorah!

Comment

Is it possible to make it living outside fair fax and commute? Or is that a nightmare?
                              USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
                              Oorah!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6522 users online. 365 members and 6157 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X