Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got the call about my panel interview scheduled for Aug. 14. Any tips? Or anyone know what some common questions are?

Comment

Well I got that nasty letter in the mail. I thought my panel went pretty well, but I know that's how the game goes sometimes. It was just weird because it wasn't even two weeks before I received it, which seemed a little early. Also I e-mailed my BI just to thank him for everything and just asked what I should've done differently or maybe if there was anything I could improve on and he's always gotten back to me within 24 hours, but I haven't heard anything from him in over a week. I'm not trying to nag or anything because I know that's how things go sometimes, but it just all seems a little strange. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comment

Bad news always arrives by mail, while good news comes by phone. I think it has been that way almost forever. I have been there and done that -- and that rejection cuts right to the bone. I tried three departments and got the "thanks but no thanks" letter from each of them.....and basically gave up.

Several years later, I applied with two other agencies - neither of which I had considered when I was younger. I went through the process all over again (from application to polygraph & psych interview) and it was just as intimidating as before. Both offered me a job (one was a police department and the other was a sheriff's office) and I was hired about six months after my initial application.

Not much had changed about my life, save for being older and wiser -- but my credit was kind of 'iffy' when I was younger. I believe that - and having two traffic tickets on my record - hurt my chances the first time. I was not behind in any payments, but did have a lot of debt back then. Any little thing can deep-six you and my advice is to apply again to the same agency AND put in applications with a few others. Consider an agency in another town that might have a lot of vacancies.

Use the shotgun approach and NEVER GIVE UP!!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

P.S. I worked for a sheriff's office as a deputy. Great agency; but things can be kind of 'political' -- much more so than with a police department. Had I access to a time machine, I would have taken the job with the police department instead of the sheriff's office. I don't really have any regrets other than that - and as a 'civilian' in another line of work, I ended up doing okay.

Hang in there and KEEP APPLYING to other agencies. If you got turned down by Chesterfield, consider Henrico County, Richmond City or even Petersburg to the south. North of Richmond, Hanover County (a full-service sheriff's office), the Town of Ashland and Fredericksburg City probably need people. Caroline, Stafford and Spotsylvania all have sheriff's offices - and are in growing areas. Give them a shot, too.

GOOD LUCK!!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

In this line of work, many apply and few get selected. Its the nature of the beast. But as Dutch said, good news by phone and bad new by mail. Once you've been declined, another applicant hits your BI's desk. The likely hood of getting an email from your BI after the "thanks but no thanks" letter, is slim because they are just too busy. I know you might be confused and want a little clarification but an agency will rarely ever tell you what you were declined for. Like Dutch said though, keep applying, always. Unless you were disqualified and told not to apply again, you have the ability to be hired, you just weren't selected this time due to other "more" qualified applicants. That being said, Chesterfield is hurting for officers, so apply apply apply until they tell you not to and don't get yourself down.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the encouragement. And thank you 825 for clearing that up. It's pretty obvious I'm still pretty new to all this. And its frustrating, but I definitely won't give up. And hearing that Chesterfield is still in need of officers is good to know, since they're my number one choice. I'll definitely be reapplying and continue looking around for different agencies. Thank you guys again!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does Chesterfield have any policy about having to wait a certain amount of time before you can reapply?

Comment

Contact human resources about that, they would be best at answering that. I can't say for certain.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2957 users online. 178 members and 2779 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X