300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampton Roads area PD's, speciically VA Beach

I would like to start by saying thanks to all the Police Officers on here for your service and that you guys do not get enough credit. The military gets all of the "thanks for your service," but in reality, some areas where Policemen work are in more danger than the Armed Forces.

I have done my research on PD's in this area but all of the threads seem to be a couple of years old. I am a Marine currently on my 2nd tour in Afghanistan and look to be getting out of the Corps in 2014 and joining a PD in this area. I am from Richmond and have thought about their pd but my fiance wants a change as do I. I don't feel like I need to start somewhere with a low crime rate, and don't want to be bored either. I would like insite on which department is the most recommended in this area (Va beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News or Hampton). My grandparents live in Norfolk so I know what that place is all about. I am highly interested in VA Beach so I would like to know how high speed it is and how much "action" officers see. Another aspect is pay since I will be married by the time I apply. Now in the future I would like to do some type of Anti-Narcotics work, which is pretty much what this war has become.

One last question, do any of these departments REQUIRE a college degree or will my military experience do justice.

Hope to hear some replies.
    Last edited by I'm a doer; 10-18-2013, 08:28 PM.

Not sure whether VBPD demands a college degree, but they probably require every beat officer to carry at least two bottles of hair gel.

~~ Sorry; could not resist. ~~
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 10-31-2013, 05:39 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

lmao, this is the second thread where I have seen you make that sort of joke................That won't apply to me for I intend to keep my hair short & clean.

Comment

I don't really post much anymore, but what the hell. Send Dansik a PM - he can fill you in about VBPD. He's really good about replying and he's got a few years on at the department now. Good luck and thank you for your service.
        Originally posted by RSGSRT
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Not sure whether VBPD demands a college degree, but they probably require every beat officer to carry at least to bottles of hair gel.

~~ Sorry; could not resist. ~~

Hair gel is standard issue but not required. You will have to color your hair blonde in the academy though.

Heh.

Comment

For VBPD, military is usually enough, although in my class there were only 8 veterans out of 35 with the rest having a bachelor's degree aside from a couple that had an associate's.

We're busy and we're understaffed. Some precincts get more "action" than others, but for the most part they all stay pretty busy. Whatever interests you, you'll find in the city. DUI's, drugs, fights, guns; we got it all.

Training is fantastic here. Pay is...well....I take home less money now than when I started. But it's virtually unlimited overtime and part-time jobs so you can definitely make up for the lack of raises by working extra.

Feel free to PM me or post any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm a doer View Post
              I would like to start by saying thanks to all the Police Officers on here for your service and that you guys do not get enough credit. The military gets all of the "thanks for your service," but in reality, some areas where Policemen work are in more danger than the Armed Forces.

I have done my research on PD's in this area but all of the threads seem to be a couple of years old. I am a Marine currently on my 2nd tour in Afghanistan and look to be getting out of the Corps in 2014 and joining a PD in this area. I am from Richmond and have thought about their pd but my fiance wants a change as do I. I don't feel like I need to start somewhere with a low crime rate, and don't want to be bored either. I would like insite on which department is the most recommended in this area (Va beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News or Hampton). My grandparents live in Norfolk so I know what that place is all about. I am highly interested in VA Beach so I would like to know how high speed it is and how much "action" officers see. Another aspect is pay since I will be married by the time I apply. Now in the future I would like to do some type of Anti-Narcotics work, which is pretty much what this war has become.

One last question, do any of these departments REQUIRE a college degree or will my military experience do justice.

Hope to hear some replies.
              All the departments in the Hampton Roads area are good. Are you dead set on Hampton Roads area or interested in other areas in the state? The departments around Richmond and northern Virginia are all good, too.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info guys. So does anybody know if any of the departments will be receiving applications or doing testing between mid November and March? I will be back from deployment in November, however I have orders to Japan for March and I will likely be there until I get out of the Corps. Would I be able to test before getting out and if i do, will it speed up the process for when I do get out and am ready for the academy.

I would love any additional info on the other PD's in the area. I wouldn't mind working in Norfolk and living in Va Beach, but honestly whoever is hiring is going to be where I go I suppose.

Comment

Pretty much the only place I am interested in other than the Hampton area is Richmond. If you have any info on that would be great. Or w.e other departments come highly recommended.

Comment

You can usually sign up for online "interest cards" with their HR depts, if available, and they'll send you emails when jobs open up for hiring/testing. Other than that, bookmark the jobs pages for departments that you're interested in and check back often. Or email their recruiting.
                    Originally posted by RSGSRT
                    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

At one time a lot of metro VA agencies used governmentjobs.com for their hiring/employment postings so you may want to check there too. I'm not sure who still uses them though. It's either their website or the one above that can show you an aggregate of postings.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4799 users online. 268 members and 4531 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X