Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another conservator of the peace thread..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another conservator of the peace thread..

Where in the Code does it outline that they can run traffic? I see where they can make warrant-less arrests and who are Conservators of the Peace but where does it say they can run traffic? Thank you!

Va Code 19.2-74 Related to Arrest and Release on Summons down at the bottom...

B. Special policemen of the counties as provided in § 15.2-1737, special policemen or conservators of the peace appointed under Chapter 2 (§ 19.2-12 et seq.) of this title and special policemen appointed by authority of a city's charter may issue summonses pursuant to this section, if such officers are in uniform, or displaying a badge of office. On application, the chief law-enforcement officer of the county or city shall supply each officer with a supply of summons forms, for which such officer shall account pursuant to regulation of such chief law-enforcement officer.

Those are governmental conservators of the peace. Says they've essentially got the same authority as any other law enforcement officer to arrest and issue summons according to law. IE they can run traffic since traffic violations are considered a misdemeanor offenses.

This is how departments like Richmond's Toll Road Police are able to run traffic and write tickets on their highways as they are quasi governmental, although they are all officially appointed conservators of the peace.

If your asking about "Special Conservators of the Peace" their authority it set forth by whichever Circuit Court appoints them, as outlined in their specific code section, but generally they have the same authority as any "conservator of the peace" within the confines established as their jurisdiction. So circle back around and read the above.

Comment

Would they be able to carry their firearms 'anywhere' when off-duty? Can they pursue a violator out of their jurisdiction?

Are the 'toll road police' the ones using red lights on their squad cars? I have seen them on the Powhite Parkway in Richmond. Definitely a "WTF?" moment if you see a cop car in VA with all red lights (no blue).

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I have been researching them for a project at work and school and "Special Conservators of Peace" are confusing anyhow much less Conservators of the Peace by any of the other agencys to include federal that are authorized by the code. An example would be Pentagon and Arlington County. They have an MOU with Arlington but it appears that since state code trumps any local agreements it renders an MOU simply to be a gentlemen agreement anyhow on who's responsibility is what in Arlington. The code of Virignia only limits Conservators of the Peace to acting in their official duties meaning that unlike a Deputy Sheriff for example who is a deputy on duty and off.. SCOPS are only while on duty and hence I believe may not be able to carry anywhere.

As far as all red lights.. Confusing.

Comment

As far as all red lights.. Confusing.

Yep; I wonder if anyone has been stuffed & cuffed for eluding the police because they did not know they were the police. LOL!

I was down there and saw one of those "toll road cops" pulled over on the shoulder -- red lights flashing and the amber 'traffic arrow' blinking in the rear window. Clear "POLICE" markings on the side and rear of the squad car, but not a blue light anywhere. Definitely an anomoly for this state, where every law enforcement vehicle is supposed to have blue lights (or sometimes blue & red).

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6986 users online. 390 members and 6596 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X