300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopewell (City) Sheriff's Office -- "Million Dollar Mile"

This story was sent to me by a friend of mine who lives down near Richmond. Apparently, the city sheriff (Mr. Anderson) has quite a little racket going along Interstate 295....where a small portion of it passes through his jurisdiction.

Hopewell's "Million Dollar Mile" threatened by budget amendment - NBC12.com-Richmond, VA News, Weather, Traffic & Sports

First, why is a CITY sheriff conducting "speed enforcement" along an Interstate highway which has NOTHING AT ALL to do with his residents or the streets of his city? (Well, we know why.) Emporia, near the NC line, does this along I-95 on a regular basis; despite having plenty of "real crime" to worry about inside the incorporated area of their city.

Second, if Hopewell has a police department, why isn't the sheriff tasked with prisoner transport, running the jail, civil process and courthouse security? Wouldn't the police department be responsible for patrol operations?

Third, don't we have plenty of state troopers in VA who are quite capable of enforcing speed laws on Interstate highways? Seems to be that this sheriff is stepping on their toes a bit. We don't need any bad blood between Hopewell and the VSP, do we? Nothing like internecine conflict to get folks angry over a perceived turf war.

Fourth, if it is just really about safety (Cough! Cough!) and not making money with a speed tax; let the legislature change the funding formula so that the money goes to the state rather than the Hopewell budget. If Sheriff Anderson's deputies are still out on I-295 a few months afterward, then we will know he was being truthful. Um, yeah......right.

P.S. Are any of you officers, deputies or citizens in that area familiar with this apparent fundraising scheme?

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Afterthought:

That stretch of road is likely a 70 MPH zone, so they're probably giving 8 to 10 mph variance before issuing tickets. Even so, 11 mph over the limit there (which is easy to do on that highway) could be considered "reckless driving" under existing state law, as you'd be over 80 mph.

The fine would be larger, of course, which would help their city budget. Conversely, I wonder what the ratio is of "out of state" drivers versus VA residents -- and what percentage of violators merely send in a check {for "prepayable offenses," of course} and don't bother with actually going to court (less hassle for the speeder and for the deputy & the city).

Just one of those things that makes you go Hmmmmmmm.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

Comment

VA Dutch:
      I could not agree with you more. I drive this route towards Hopewell on a semi-regular basis and the Hopewell Sheriff's Deputies are out every morning collecting revenue for the town of Hopewell pulling over citizens and Soldiers from Ft. Lee. Let's face it, Hopewell is not the highest income area of Virginia and I am certain that the monies collected from the deputies becomes a welcome addition to the town's (and Sheriff Dept's) budget.

Comment

Someone pass the popcorn. LOL

Comment

Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Hopewell has been doing this for years.

Comment

The Sheriff is the Chief Law Enforcement / Constitutional Officer of his jurisdiction and choose to do whatever he wants within his jurisdiction as long as he maintains his constitutional and state code required obligations. If he wants to have deputies run the road and do traffic enforcement within the jurisdictional limits of the city no one can say anything about it. Does the city participate in a regional jail system? If so that frees up a lot of time and deputy manpower for use for other pursuits.

Comment

Just because he can does not necessarily mean that he should.

As I said before, this is probably nothing but a money grab and is not being done for the purposes of enhancing safety. Let the state re-do the formula and "short" the revenue Hopewell receives. If his deputies are still out there doing the same thing a few months later, then perhaps he is sincere (but I highly doubt it).

Comment

The system was designed way back when the way it was because it suited both the state and the localities. Now their changing it because the state is no longer suited by the arrangement. The Sheriff's Office is a law enforcement agency and has the ability and means to conduct the enforcement in their jurisdiction. How would you expect a department with a highway in it's jurisdiction to never use it and forget about enforcement on it. It can only potentially be a "money grab" if people passing through the corporate jurisdiction of that city continue the traffic infractions. There would no one one to conduct enforcement on if no infractions occurred.

What do you call traffic safety grants then? Enforcement for the purpose of traffic safety, but the state and federals are paying the department for extra goodies and officer overtime. Guess we should get rid of them.
                Last edited by LochRaven; 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LochRaven View Post
                  It can only potentially be a "money grab" if people passing through the corporate jurisdiction of that city continue the traffic infractions. There would no one one to conduct enforcement on if no infractions occurred.
                  The question is, if the department started charging under state code rather than local, would they keep going on that section of highway? If it is NOT about padding the jurisdictions pockets, simply charge under 46.2 and send the money to the litterary fund, then flood it with deputies and prove it wasnt about the money.

Comment

Amen, Clem! That was my point.

This sheriff in Hopewell has found a "money tree" and is going to milk it for all it is worth. If he still sends his deputies out there after the money is 'diverted' away from his city's coffers and into the state's literary fund, then we'll know he is consistent.

Comment

Oh, there is a law enforcement agency that is fully capable (and they do indeed) of providing traffic enforcement on that stretch of highway. We know them as the VA State Police.

I-295 goes "through" Hopewell to a much lesser extent than I-95 goes "through" Richmond; but you still do not see Richmond City sheriff's deputies running radar on the highway. As with Richmond, Hopewell has a lot of crime and any deputies that are law enforcement certified could certainly provide assistance to their city's police department. Oh, I forgot......that would not generate easy money for them like traffic enforcement seems to be doing.

This imbroglio makes me wonder if there is any 'bad blood' between the Hopewell sheriff and the division commander of the VA State Police.

Comment

I'm not debating their motives here gentleman, I'm discussing whether they can and should. I think we've settled that they can. It's up to them whether they should or not, and they have obviously decided the answer to that question is yes.

The Virginia State Police are a very capable agency indeed, and I'm sure they could enforce that stretch of highway just fine without the locals. But it's still the locals jurisdiction too. I run traffic on state highways all the time and I see no problem with that. It's my pond to fish in too.

Comment

It'd be interesting to see the VSP patrolling the streets of Hopewell - inside the city - and "fishing" for every violation they could find. Me thinks there'd be some complaining from the natives.

Just because one can, it does not mean one should......especially when it is only about the money and has nothing to do with public safety or smooth traffic flow.

P.S. Good points made by all on here!!

Comment

State Police does cover Hopewell, and the Troopers enforce on the secondary roads, and work the crashes that occur within that jurisdiction....ironically, because the Troopers are requested to work them by the SO.

Comment

I've never heard complaints from Troopers when I see them on the highway. Heck I've only seen two of them in the last week or so. When they show up on our calls I'm happy to have them. Our taxes pay for all the services provided by all the agencies which service this area. Not to mention there is plenty of highway and plenty and patrol area to cover and go around for all.

Wouldn't they be requested by Hopewell City Police Department who operates their dispatch channel and 911 call center, not the Sheriff's Office?
                              Last edited by LochRaven; 04-28-2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7146 users online. 362 members and 6784 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X