300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Flagging" Someone's Driver's License

My brother was stopped recently in VA for speeding while in his company's truck. The trooper could have written him a huge ticket (reckless driving, perhaps), but because he had a clean DMV record and was coming down a hill, he let him go with a 'verbal warning' under the condition that he would not be stopped again for a similar offense.

The trooper said he would 'flag' his DMV record and obtain a summons/warrant for the offense (20 mph over) if he got stopped again. I never heard of such a thing and we certainly did not have this feature (or I sure as heck never knew about it) when I was a deputy sheriff. The only way we knew anything was to run a DMV check through dispatch and it said whether the person's license was good or if there were any outstanding warrants.

I know that it is a law here that a misdemeanor offense has a one-year time limit for obtaining a warrant, but is this "flagging" of a driver's license really true or just something to scare the shiite out of him for the next twelve months? Could a VA trooper be 'alerted' if someone were to be stopped or cited by another agency elsewhere in the state or even in another state? It was a nice break to be given by a trooper (as they don't often do that), but retroactive punishment is a scary thought to have hanging over his head!

Thanks for any information and replies. Oh, and YES.....he is DEFINITELY going to be paying a bit more attention to speed limit signs and when they change.

"Discretion is the better part of valor." -- uttered by an 'old school' sergeant

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

I've been on about 3 years and I've never heard of "flagging" someones driver's license.

I suspect that the trooper was feeding your brother a spoonful of BS to get him to slow down.

Any VA Troopers want to chime in?
    Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

We have a "local" file were I can find out if my agency give you a warning in the past. However it's local only, no other agency would know about it even if someone else got pulled him over there's no automatic way for me to know that. Either a dispatcher or the officer would have to tell me. I too vote it was a BS. He can write a ticket at a latter date, but personally that's one I would fight in court cause that's kind of lame in my option.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Many years ago Washington State had a traffic warning file. It was bit of a pin to enter the data and it wasn't automatically queried when a driver license was checked. I haven't heard of it for years.
        Officers would "flag" licenses by pressing a dimple into them with a ballpoint pen or cutting a notch in the edge. The next officer to stop the guy would know he'd already had a warning.

Comment

Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
          We have a "local" file were I can find out if my agency give you a warning in the past. However it's local only, no other agency would know about it even if someone else got pulled him over there's no automatic way for me to know that. Either a dispatcher or the officer would have to tell me. I too vote it was a BS. He can write a ticket at a latter date, but personally that's one I would fight in court cause that's kind of lame in my option.
          We have a local system too for citations/warnings/arrest etc...... It's only department oriented so we can not see other agency contacts with the subject. It's helpful to know how many times someone was stopped before you.

Thankfully it quiries automatically when we run ncic/vcin
          Reputation & Truth

Comment

In the Southeast Michigan area, we all use the same computerized records database (for the most part - few exceptions) so as long as a driver is dumb enough to get popped again locally, you would know if you did future searches. When someone is issued a citation, arrested, their info is put into a report, etc., their information is entered into the database and they are now searchable in the database. The more contact they have with law enforcement as either a suspect, driver, arrestee, victim, witness, 'misc.', etc., the more their name will pop up in a search. When giving someone a warning, you could actually put all of their information into the call details before closing it out and it would show up in the database for future searches.
            Originally posted by RSGSRT
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
              [color=blue]
              The trooper said he would 'flag' his DMV record and obtain a summons/warrant for the offense (20 mph over) if he got stopped again.
              I usually "flag" someone when something else comes up between stopping them and writing the summons, like a real call, or somebody else catches my attention during the stop, or the rare instance in which I forgot what I actually checked their speed as being.....or I lost my pen.

Street Cop summed it up pretty well though. Its a fancy way of giving a warning.

Comment

The state I was in would "flag" your license and your tag for FR Financial Responsiblity if your insurance lapsed. Who knows in todays computer world.
                Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Sounds like a hell of a way for a warning, but bro' is going to be walking (or perhaps driving) on eggshells for awhile. I will pass on the info and a link to this thread.

That trooper might have done more of a favor than he realized.

** THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!! **

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10041 users online. 468 members and 9573 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X