300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northampton & Accomack Counties

I will be moving to Accomack county this August, with my fiance. We will likely be living in Chincoteague, but everything on that peninsula is an easy drive (from what we saw these last couple of days.

While we were down there for her interviews(Accomack County Schools), I grabbed an application for the Accomack County Sheriff Department, but failed to grab one from the VSP outpost I saw.

I'm not sure how things work down in VA yet with their State Police and placement, but I know I saw an outpost(the VSP site says they're hiring, but they don't list Accomack or Northampton counties.). I was curious if any of the VA LEOs here have any input. That, and the Chincoteague PD too, of course. Unfortunately, unless the pay was stellar, commuting from Chincoteague all the way down to VA Beach would be a bit prohibitive, so that's out of the question.

Any info you could provide, would be much appreciated!
    Protect the weak
    Defend the innocent
    Stand up to tyranny and unjust behavior
    Take responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences
    Honor friendship with loyalty
    Ask more of yourself than others
    Never do anything without a purpose
    Never do anything that is useless
    Be honest in your intentions and actions with everyone you meet.

As far as the VSP go, they are the state police force......and they'll send you anywhere they need you to go. If you request the Eastern Shore, there is a good chance that your assignment could be in Fairfax. LOL!

Even so, becoming a trooper means that you'll be spending a few months at the state police academy in Richmond before you go anywhere else.

As for Southampton and Accomack Counties, I believe that both of them have on-line information and you can get any information & applications there. I've only been to the Eastern Shore once, and it is absolutely beautiful. It almost seems like you are transformed back in time when you get over there. I suspect the cost of living is lower, but so are the salaries.

From Norfolk via US 13, the toll is twelve dollars - one way; but you get a return trip for five bucks if you do it within the same day. That Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is really amazing, and I would recommend driving it at least once just to experience it. More information is available on their web site ( http://www.cbbt.com ), and they have a fishing pier, restaurant & gift shop located in the middle. The road starts as a bridge, goes into a tunnel, comes out as a bridge, goes into another tunnel and then comes out on a bridge until you reach land again.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

If your looking at all the options Virginia Marine Police is also hiring right now, although not for the area. There is chance they may in the near future though so keep an eye out if your interested. Or if your willing to commute from somewhere on the Shore to another lower Virginia location, and then transfer when an opening becomes available. For the most part, the VMRC actually has more patrol officers by number than many agencies located on the Shore.

Hope you like boats.

There are also agencies in Southern Eastern Shore Maryland, like Princess Anne, Pocomoke City, Somerset County, Worcester County, etc. that people from that part of Virginia have been known to commute from for employment.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys!

Dutch- I did the tunnel/bridge thing on Thursday after my fiance's interviews. Pretty awesome, though she hated the tunnels (she has a thing about them).

As for pay/cost of living, I'm from NYC, so cost of living -almost- anywhere else is far far far lower than what i'm used to, even though the pay's just about equal, at least for LEO. NYPD starts at 36, and it seems that Accomack (based on their teacher's pay), might start at roughly 32... So it's still not bad, especially with two breadwinners in the house.

As far as the VSP, I understand that they might drop me in western VA, which would absolutely suck. When I was going through the process for CBP, they gave me some preference, after a certain term of duty in NM. I do my 8 months, then I go where I'm contracted to. Any idea if VSP has a similar program? I can't imagine too many people -wanting- to go to Accomack/Northampton. I love small town life, but it's certainly not for everyone!

The area was absolutely beautiful.

Loch, I can look into the VMP, I don't shy away from new challenges so easily. Going to have to learn how to fish it seems!
        Protect the weak
        Defend the innocent
        Stand up to tyranny and unjust behavior
        Take responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences
        Honor friendship with loyalty
        Ask more of yourself than others
        Never do anything without a purpose
        Never do anything that is useless
        Be honest in your intentions and actions with everyone you meet.

Comment

[QUOTE=kotyaer;2755264
          Any idea if VSP has a similar program? I can't imagine too many people -wanting- to go to Accomack/Northampton. I love small town life, but it's certainly not for everyone!
          [/QUOTE]

Short answer....no. All assignments are for at least one year. After that a year one may transfer to another area based on vacancies in that area, schedule strength in the area they wish to leave, and order that the request was made.

The shore, however, isnt one of the areas that backlogs with transfer requests at least.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4206 users online. 272 members and 3934 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X