300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-9 Assistance

Just a little over two hours ago I was awakened by what sounded like 4-6 gun shots near where I live. I was in a deep sleep when the sound awakened me. I know I wasn't dreaming because the shots (or whatever the sound was) were still being fired after my eyes opened wide. Construction is being done to the Fairfax Pkwy near where I live, so as I was tryng to think what else the sound could be, I told myself it was construction equipment so I could go back to sleep (though I knew better since it was 2am in the mornign). I told myself maybe I was just dreaming. But you know how that little inner voice is so wise.....and something told me to roll over and look at the clock before I tried to ignore it all and go back to sleep. Well, exactly 7 minutes later I hear the Fairfax County Police Dept in their helo starting to circle overhead and my gut goes "oh sheet" that must not've been my imagination. I call 911 and they tell me they've had four other calls of gunshots. So I ask them to send the police because behind me is the perfect patch of wooded county property where there is no lighting and a great place for a nutcase to hide.

Long story short, when the officers came, one of them had heard the sound himself in the location he was at when the sounds were heard, and I think using trajectory from the varying calls they got from the public, they were searching the area pretty much to the back and side of where my row of condos is. As one officer was talking to me, another headed out to the back with his flashlight.

I know the helo has the ability to pick up heat with their sensors but I would love to have seen the dog taken into the woods as well. I'm guessing their decision not to was based on probably a whole set of rules the county has for employing K-9, not to mention these poor officers had ticks all over them from searching the woods and that poor dog would've been full of even more. The officer was literally picking a tick off his arm while he was talking to me.

Do any of you folks happen to know under what circumstances K-9 is used in Fairfax County? For example, I'm sure that if the heat sensors had picked up an ambiguity on the ground, that might be an example of a "go" decision to employ K-9. (The officer mentioned the helo hadn't picked up anything, and if it was indeed gunshots, their guess would be the perp would've fled the area.) Was wondering because I'd have 100% confidence if some nutjob WAS hiding in the woods that the dog would know it. But also knowing the County, I can see there being a long list of rules before being allowed to use them.
    Last edited by EmmaPeel; 05-13-2011, 02:48 AM.

I believe the incident you are referring to was an accidental discharge of a pistol. In that situation, K9 would not be utilized.
    Reputation & Truth

Comment

Damn,

Reside in the same area. Fairfax 1 is always flying over my house and disturbing my sleep, because all the people that "bail" on the parkway. I heard it also, but no reason to disturb my rest unless a scumbag tries to come into my house. Then they would have heard "SHOTS FIRED"

Yawn!!
      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
        Damn,

Reside in the same area. Fairfax 1 is always flying over my house and disturbing my sleep, because all the people that "bail" on the parkway. I heard it also, but no reason to disturb my rest unless a scumbag tries to come into my house. Then they would have heard "SHOTS FIRED"

Yawn!!
        I have the "luxury" of residing not even a mile away from the helipad.....it can be annoying at times
        Reputation & Truth

Comment

So Grumpy, LOL, that was YOU that accidentally discharged his weapon 6 times??!!??!! J/K, you know I kid Grumpy.

Copdude, thank you very much for the information. When the neighborhood never hears why 6 shots are fired in our quiet little paradise here (other than the fricken pkwy construction, lol), it's good to know it isn't because some nutjob tried to shoot someone. Appeciate the info and will pass it on.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
            Damn,

Yawn!!
            Originally posted by copdude View Post
            I have the "luxury" of residing not even a mile away from the helipad.....it can be annoying at times
            Oh great, here I play on the internet hoping for complete privacy and anonymity only to find I can probably throw a rock and hit Grumpy's house and probably pass Copdude in the Wegemans, the Whole Foods, or the Giant in any given week. Just remember my description: I have short black curly hair, 4ft 5 inches tall, and drive a pink VW.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6320 users online. 337 members and 5983 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X