300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Conservator of the Peace

Can SCOPs officially back up sworn law enforcement (ie: police agencies, because I know they are technically "law enforcement", too)?

And if so, how would you officers feel if one with red/white lights came up behind you to back you up in full uniform? Look down on them, brush em off, what the heck is he doing here, etc?

Also, I know that SCOP are allowed to have red/white lights....can they have sirens in this state or no?

Comment

This sounds like another wannabe thread...Starting up the popcorn for the boys

btw here's the info on scop in Virginia http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/pss/how...tions/scop.cfm

Training Requirements

24 - 40 Hours, Consisting of:

06E - Special Conservator of the Peace Entry-Level (24 hours)
      Training Outline (.htm)
      Training Schools Offering Course (.htm)
      07E - Special Conservator of the Peace Handgun Training Entry-Level (16 hours) - If Applicable
      Training Outline (.htm)

It sounds like slightly modified neighborhood watch program.
      Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-12-2011, 12:11 AM.
      Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Yeah, first thing I'd think is, "Why is fire/rescue here?" And, when I figured out it wasn't them, I'd probably call for backup not knowing who the hell is trying to play cop!

Unless I knew them before, I think anyone that shows up in something other than a marked cruiser (or even an unmarked car that is so lit up with flashing blue lights all over the place, it's unmistakable) is gonna have the opposite of their intended effect.
        "You can just go ahead and common sense your way out of this conundrum!"

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
          This sounds like another wannabe thread...Starting up the popcorn for the boys

btw here's the info on scop in Virginia http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/pss/how...tions/scop.cfm

Training Requirements

24 - 40 Hours, Consisting of:

06E - Special Conservator of the Peace Entry-Level (24 hours)
          Training Outline (.htm)
          07E - Special Conservator of the Peace Handgun Training Entry-Level (16 hours) - If Applicable
          Training Outline (.htm)

It sounds like slightly modified neighborhood watch program.
          Nah, just curiosity. Heard from one guy in private security that once he gets his SCOP he can back law enforcement up within his jurisdiction but never saw anything on that in the SCOP page you linked.

Comment

Originally posted by GentleGiant View Post
            Yeah, first thing I'd think is, "Why is fire/rescue here?" And, when I figured out it wasn't them, I'd probably call for backup not knowing who the hell is trying to play cop!

Unless I knew them before, I think anyone that shows up in something other than a marked cruiser (or even an unmarked car that is so lit up with flashing blue lights all over the place, it's unmistakable) is gonna have the opposite of their intended effect.
            What if you knew the company was reputable rather than the SCOP him/herself? Still same feeling?

Comment

Originally posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
              What if you knew the company was reputable rather than the SCOP him/herself? Still same feeling?
              Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                Yes
                Hmm. Fair enough.

This'd be an interesting research topic; the relationship between private "enforcement" services and sworn law enforcement.

Comment

Hmm. Fair enough.

This'd be an interesting research topic; the relationship between private "enforcement" services and sworn law enforcement.
                  Private is just that, private and limited only to their specific area. Once they come out to public to play their just joe citizen.

Comment

Wannabee, wannabee, wannabee......TROLL

I'd lock him up; for something; tow his car incident to arrest; and let the courts sort it out...

In order to get a SCOP, it has to be approved by a Circuit Court judge in the County where employed. You have powers ONLY on the property you were hired to protect (can you say security guard??)

I know that in NOVA, you would have a difficult time getting any Circuit Court judge to grant SCOP.

It's only usually in the downstate rural parts of Virginia.
                    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
                      I'd lock him up; for something; tow his car incident to arrest; and let the courts sort it out...

In order to get a SCOP, it has to be approved by a Circuit Court judge in the County where employed. You have powers ONLY on the property you were hired to protect (can you say security guard??)

I know that in NOVA, you would have a difficult time getting any Circuit Court judge to grant SCOP.

It's only usually in the downstate rural parts of Virginia.

Just remember I've got your back, I'm just like you, look at my gun...

Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Can SCOPs officially back up sworn law enforcement (ie: police agencies, because I know they are technically "law enforcement", too)?

And if so, how would you officers feel if one with red/white lights came up behind you to back you up in full uniform? Look down on them, brush em off, what the heck is he doing here, etc?
                        SCOPs are, if granted by court order, full police powers within their area of jurisdiction. Nothing more and nothing less.

Having a SCOP engage in what could be viewed as extraterritorial enforcement could land them in hot water. While they may have full police powers on the property they are assigned, once they depart said property they are no more than private citizens. Does this mean that if I was in true need (having my government issued chair polishing device handed to me twice over) that I would care who came to my aid? Not one bit. Does this mean that I want anyone I don’t expect to roll as backup when I am on a traffic stop or other friendly engagement with a potential violator? Depends.

I give you Aqua Harbor HOA Police. A well regarded SCOP agency. They seem to have a great relationship with the county and work with them on a regular basis; frequently providing much needed mutual-aid, but such is borne out of years of working together and knowing each other’s protocols. Mind you, I have not seen their court appointment and while it may provide for authority beyond their HOAs cartilage, I am going to go on the assumption that such “mutual aid” is based on a gentleman’s agreement that would not protect the SCOP of Aqua from liability if something went wrong.

This question has been posed by Military Police, Detention and Civil Deputies, DoD Cops and a host of others before and the answer is the same: yes, you are the police and yes, if I am in peril, please help, but don’t come trotting up to provide backup regardless of your intentions it could give Joe Six-pack the momentary distraction he needs while I try and figure out who you are and what you are doing. Anyone want to think back to the first time an off-duty cop rolled up on your action to "help" or when a husband, father, friend or neaighbor who was on the clock and out of their area came to "explain" to you who you had on the side of the road....

Greif you dont need!
                        Originally posted by SSD
                        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Aren't Aquia Harbor cops considered "real" police officers? Are they under SCOP auspices? Their cars have blue lights and I think SCOP vehicles are only allowed to have red or red & white lights.

Can their officers carry concealed weapons 24/7 as permitted by HR 218?

What about Mt. Vernon officers? Are they SCOP?

Now ya got me thinking!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Virtus Security SCOPs have full authority in the city of Richmond, not just within a certain amount of miles from property, just FYI. The ONLY thing they cannot do that Richmond PD can do is have access to VCIN. I read their SCOPs writs. Just thought I'd share.

Comment

And yes they can use sirens and red/red, red/white lights...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6266 users online. 347 members and 5919 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X