Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auxiliary Police Restrictions with Firearms and VA

Hi.

I know that FCPD does not allow their Auxiliary Officer's to carry a sidearm. However, Ive heard that other agencies in VA do in fact allow their Auxiliary units to carry a firearm with proper training. This leads me to believe that the restriction is based on a County level General Order rather than a limitation in Commonwealth Code.

Can anyone provide some insight on which agencies in VA do in fact allow Auxiliary Officer's to carry a sidearm?

I just find it strange that a citizen can exercise their 2nd amendment rights and open carry as well as conceal carry (with propoer permit), yet - an officer can not. To wear a uniform and be in a patrol car, you ARE a target, regardless. Does not matter if you are directing traffic, having lunch, or providing cover to another officer.

Chesterfield County Police Auxiliary Unit is in a full uniform as paid officers. The only different is their patch. It's a red patch with "Auxiliary Police" on it and the paid officers have a yellow patch. But as far as uniform, nothing is different than paid officers.

Comment

Originally posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
      Chesterfield County Police Auxiliary Unit is in a full uniform as paid officers. The only different is their patch. It's a red patch with "Auxiliary Police" on it and the paid officers have a yellow patch. But as far as uniform, nothing is different than paid officers.
      and their Aux officers are also armed?

Comment

Yes, the only thing different is their patch. The full duty belt is the exact same as paid officers with firearm, OC, cuffs, ASP, the whole 9. The ONLY different between Auxiliary and paid in CCPD is the patch I mentioned and the Auxiliary isn't paid, obviously. As a matter of fact, they CCPD Auxiliary unit is pretty active around the county. I see them quite a bit either riding with other officers or doing their own thing.

Comment

Are there any other agencies in VA other than CCPD that allow it?

Comment

Personally, I think someone would have to be crazy to wear a police uniform and go out in the field unarmed. I think the rural areas, which have a greater need for volunteers, have armed reserves or auxiliaries.
            Last edited by DAL; 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Most small agencies have fully armed and equipped auxiliary deputies. Most of them also have attended the full part-time police training academy though too. Only difference is their working on their time rather than the local jurisdictions.

Comment

yep, LochRaven is right. ours are all armed and had an academy. sad thing is, some of them shoot better then some of our officers lol. at any rate, i wish we could have more use out of them with the man coverage issues we have. get that monies worth! lol
                dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Originally posted by CHILINVLN View Post
                  I just find it strange that a citizen can exercise their 2nd amendment rights and open carry as well as conceal carry (with propoer permit), yet - an officer can not. To wear a uniform and be in a patrol car, you ARE a target, regardless. Does not matter if you are directing traffic, having lunch, or providing cover to another officer.
                  What does one have to do with the other? There are a ton of things you can do as a citizen that employers do not want to be liable for.

And I agree they are nuts for wearing the uniform and driving cruisers around unarmed.

Comment

The Portsmouth Police Department has an auxiliary that looks exactly like a paid officer. They also treat them very well. The aux guys go to a full academy and get certified just like a paid guy. They also ride alone after they complete field training. They have to work a minimum of 40 hours a month.

Comment

Hanover County has an auxiliary....I think they get a take home car and work regular shifts as well as special events.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4121 users online. 208 members and 3913 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X