Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing a polygraph looks for that is distinguishable from being nervous, anxious, scared, angry. All a polygraph can do is look for changes, it can't attack an explanation to it, and DQ someone based on something that is inadmissible in pretty much every other situation makes little sense. It does nothing more than read reactions, it can't read your mind, you could be sweating for a dozen reasons.

The polygraph should be the least important part when judging an applicant. The Background Investigation should be the most important. Course, maybe I'm looking too much into Penn and Teller.

Comment

^^^^^^ +1000000

I am deathly afraid of Poly's. I failed one in VT and I had 5 agencies fighting for me to all but one want to move forward. What I showed deception on is even more crazy
      My alcohol consumption-frequency and was there anything in my background I was withholding. I barley ever drink and told my BI about siblings who chose a different life style than me. I can only think that I showed deception on alcohol because of losing a friend to a drunk driver and my disdain for it. but this agency just booted me and the others as well without even checking me out. In VT the Poly was the be all, end all. It took me almost 2 years to start applying again because of my disappointment. Don't get me wrong I think they have a reason and should be used, but I think it shouldn't be a deciding factor. But that's just me an applicant looking in from the outside lol

My Rants done
      Last edited by jcioccke; 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM.
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

the biggest downside to failing that poly is that I have another one on friday, and am now getting really nervous about it

Comment

You will be fine. Just relax and be honest with yourself and the agency. Be at peace with yourself and it will all work out. I know now why I showed deception and I welcome a Poly, know what I''m saying? You will be fine!!
          Good luck..
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Paliboy don't give up. Keep applying.

Comment

Thanks v. I'll try. Guess I will wait 2-3 years and let my record clear up...

Comment

PaliBoy20. Keep at it. Apply everywhere YOU are willing to work. Don't give up. Have you thought about applying in at a correctional facility or does that type of job interest you? I have to admit reading your posts you have that "don't give up attitude" and that will get you far in life. Good luck.

Comment

I've definitely looked into it but most of the departments have relatively the same admission standards as police so I figured I should just let me record clear up before attempting anymore.

Comment

So has anybody heard anything in the last couple weeks?

Comment

Got the call to set up the background investigation today

Comment

What is a phq? A patient history questionnaire?

Comment

Originally posted by Dellde View Post
                          What is a phq? A patient history questionnaire?
                          Personal, not patient.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense. I guess that's the like, packet thing they give you to fill out yea? Mine says Personal History Statement now that I'm looking at it.

Comment

A little late on this one PaliBoy, but I feel your pain. I was doing my background packet for an agency here in MD & counted all the applications to PDs & FDs since I started applying 3 years ago. I've submitted 51 separate applications in that time. Between rejections for my driving record, agencies taking laterals, cancelled academies, etc. I've been pretty much snakebit. My driving record is not the greatest, but I've spent a good amount of time driving like a grandmother & HATING it. We'll see, I'm in the process with VSP & my hometown agency in MD. I would tell you that if you don't mind leaving the commonwealth, I've heard that the Baltimore Police Department is hiring a class every 6-8 weeks. My driving record in MD has gotten me DQ'd a bunch, but in VA I didn't hear one word about it. Keep your head up, keep your eye on your goal & you'll get where you wanna go.
                              MPD Process
                              Mass Processing Day - 10/24/15

Comment

Originally posted by 3dot0 View Post
                                A little late on this one PaliBoy, but I feel your pain. I was doing my background packet for an agency here in MD & counted all the applications to PDs & FDs since I started applying 3 years ago. I've submitted 51 separate applications in that time. Between rejections for my driving record, agencies taking laterals, cancelled academies, etc. I've been pretty much snakebit. My driving record is not the greatest, but I've spent a good amount of time driving like a grandmother & HATING it. We'll see, I'm in the process with VSP & my hometown agency in MD. I would tell you that if you don't mind leaving the commonwealth, I've heard that the Baltimore Police Department is hiring a class every 6-8 weeks. My driving record in MD has gotten me DQ'd a bunch, but in VA I didn't hear one word about it. Keep your head up, keep your eye on your goal & you'll get where you wanna go.
                                I'm hoping you and the rest of the advice-givers here are right. I'd prefer to stay here in VA but definitely didn't eliminate the options outside. I figured I'd try in-state first. But, looks like I will just give myself more gap in between my tickets. It may help me in the future. Good luck to you man! I felt the pain with 8 rejections, I can't imagine going through 51. Determination though, pal. We'll get there!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4358 users online. 277 members and 4081 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X