Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Lateral to Virginia

Hey guys,

I'm looking to take my Florida certification to Virginia. I have read though that VA is very picky about accepting out of state certifications. Is this true? Does anyone have a like to the VA EOT requirements? I'd like not to repeat the academy if possible. Are there equivalency training centers here in VA like there are in FL?

Thanks for any info.
    "Just when you think you know all the answers, we change the questions."
    -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Virginia does provide waivers for out of state training, however it usually depends on the hiring agency if they will accept it. You would have to check with individual agencies in the area you're relocating to as to whether or not they will accept your training and apply for a waiver.

Also, this may help: http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/

Comment

When I was looking to go there in 04ish, every agency I looked at in Northern VA was a no-go (I ended up going Fed). They all wanted me to go thru a VA Academy.

I do know that the Airports (Reagan/Dulles) have now opened up to laterals.....but I haven't seen any others.

Good Luck....

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I submitted an email to the DCJS. I am looking at anything within an hour drive of Hopewell. Any recommendations?

http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/forms/s...e=2&program=le I'm assuming the waiver is the doc file near the bottom of this page?
        Last edited by Department 30; 03-23-2011, 12:29 AM.
        -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

You should take a look down around the Newport News/Virginia Beach area. I tested in Hampton and there was a guy who was currently and officer in Florida there. I dont know if he would have to retake the academy if hired though.

Comment

Radford,

I was looking into Virginia Beach. I've been there once, even though the beach isn't like it is here lol, but I have heard good things about their dept.
            -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

With my department (Chesterfield County) you'd go to a "pre-cert" academy. It's nothing like the first academy you went to, trust me. No yelling, screaming, etc. You'll take classes to familiarize yourself with department policies and SOPs, as well as VA law. We get several laterals from NY for some reason, not sure if we've ever had one from FL.
              Chesterfield County Police

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. How long is the pre-academy? Is this how most agencies process laterals?
                -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

The pre-cert academy is 15 weeks long: http://www.chesterfield.gov/police.aspx?id=7484

I'll bet your next question is about pay. I talked to one of our laterals that went through in 2008 and it was the base salary ($39k) plus 1.5% increase for each year you have sworn at your old department.

I can't speak for if other departments have a similar process to ours as I don't know.
                  Last edited by Mysticine; 03-25-2011, 05:32 PM.
                  Chesterfield County Police

Comment

Thats good money!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4177 users online. 210 members and 3967 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X