Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70 MPH Speed Limit Finally Coming To More Roads?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VSPTAC View Post
    There are no 70 mph signs in the Roanoke or New River Valley areas. Heck, for that matter there are none up to the 81/64 interchange, unless i was blind today. Just sayin....
    Those must have been brand new signs I saw this past weekend then. We drove down to Honaker and saw 70mph signs on I-81 south of I-64.

WRT RD tickets for 81mph, I did not write them in a 65, so I will not write them in a 70 zone. I always look at speed differential over the flow of traffic more than total speed.

Comment

Thats good to hear GG, I like it when common sense trumps silly rulemaking. Reckless isn't simply a speed, IMHO, its a conditional thing. You can be reckless at 45, given the right conditions. Hell, you go 81 on I-95 between Fredericksburg and DC, you're not being reckless, your impeding the flow

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
        [color=blue]All I can say is "Yippee!!" (It is about time this state moves into the 21st Century, for crying out loud.)
        congrats! come out west and enjoy the 75 - 80 mph limits some time!

Comment

If they ever increase the speed limits in NOVA to 70, I'm moving. It's already bad enough here, especially since no where in Fairfax County is more than 55 MPH!

Comment

I got tagged at 79-80 on I 95 the other day in Emporia. 65mph kinda sucks, since I was it was mostly 70mph from Jacksonville to the VA line. The officer was extremely courteous and professional.
            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Hooray! Now people can operate their vehicle at NASCAR speeds and risk the lives of virginia motorists. Heck, while we're at it, why bother even having speed limits. Let's make "autobahn" like advisory speed limits for Virginia roads. Because getting where I want to go *FAST* trumps everything!

Comment

Originally posted by camp10 View Post
                Hooray! Now people can operate their vehicle at NASCAR speeds and risk the lives of virginia motorists. Heck, while we're at it, why bother even having speed limits. Let's make "autobahn" like advisory speed limits for Virginia roads. Because getting where I want to go *FAST* trumps everything!

As evidenced by other states that have hiked their speed limit, it is likely that the "crash rate" will decline (based on a per million vehicle miles driven forumula), fatalities will decrease and the highways will actually become safer. All states from NC to FL - as well as several others - already have moved up to 70 mph.

As I have stated before, though, it is going to be absolutely necessary to enforce the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs......or incidents of road rage and passing on the right will be on the increase. A jughead impeding traffic is usually much worse than someone who is speeding. Some drivers should just stay on the side roads or - better yet - just take a bus!

I notice that I-81 and I-66 are now posted at 70 mph outside of "populated" areas. I-95 will go to 70 mph soon, but only between Fredericksburg (MM 126) and Ashland (MM 92). I suppose VDOT will post it at 70 mph from Petersburg (MM 50 or so) down to the NC line, but I generally don't go down there but once a year or so.

P.S. I would like to see our highways be more like the Autobahn. I felt safer over there at 90 mph than I do here at 65 or 70; mostly because Germans are much better drivers!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by camp10 View Post
                  Your kidding, right? These roads were designed for traffic speeds of 70 back when cars rode on crappy bias ply tires, had suspensions like overcooked linguine, bodies that flexed like a yoga master,and brakes that the Flintstones would have laughed at. The only thing thats not about a billion times better now than then is driver training, sadly. We went to 55 for stupid reasons, maintained it for worse ones, and are finally coming out of that stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
                    Your kidding, right? These roads were designed for traffic speeds of 70 back when cars rode on crappy bias ply tires, had suspensions like overcooked linguine, bodies that flexed like a yoga master,and brakes that the Flintstones would have laughed at. The only thing thats not about a billion times better now than then is driver training, sadly. We went to 55 for stupid reasons, maintained it for worse ones, and are finally coming out of that stupidity.

If this were Facebook, your post would get a "Like" from me! I assume that your GLHS is a tribute to the 1980s car?

By the way, a GLH was a car built by Chrysler back in the 1980s. It was a Dodge Omni that came with a turbocharged engine that put out over 200 horsepower. The GLH was supposed to mean "Goes Like Hell" -- and indeed they did; but they never lasted very long (no intercoolers back in those days) and the torque steer was absolutely brutal on those front-drive beasts.

Many Mustang GT or Camaro Z/28 drivers had their lunch handed to them by those little cars. They were the ultimate sleeper, along with the Buick GSX coupe!

All that aside, you are correct about the roads being built for 70 to 75 mph "way back then" and how our weakest link is driver training/skill of today's motorists. Come drive through NoVA and your views will be confirmed.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

Comment

Back in the 80s, when I was in my 20s, I owned a 1985 Shelby Charger. When they released the GLHS's, I was freshly married, not more toys Around 1999, I was able to get one, #837. Sadly, it was a Rust Belt car, and had been undercoated, and when I dove into the guts, it was just to rotten to save But then I got an SRT-4, made in part by old holdouts from the Shelby Dodge program. Loved that car, added all three Mopar Stages. Wife wanted quiet, kids wanted room, my knees needed an automatic trans. That led to the SRT-8.

A few years back, I did some work at Quantico, which required driving from Pax River up there. Could take the beltway, but Rt 218 is such a joy. My boss at the time was smart enough that he knew when to be quiet on that road. Very smart man I really am saddened by what passes for driver training. If we only taught pilots how to operate when things were fine, folks would flip out. But thats how we teach drivers. Skid control? Accident avoidance, instead of "When you do crash, heres how to fill out the paperwork". Hell, emergency braking, and how to choose your crash isnt even covered. Me, I think the common EVOC is the bare minimum, and even that lacks some, since most places do it at low speeds. Graduated licensing helps, but more time practicing crappy techniques doesn't really help.

Comment

GLH and VAD:

+1

Improved driver training (to go with the improvements in car handling and power) are the missing pieces. People conditioned to think of driving as anything other than "job #1".

The roads were designed for it at a time when the cars were less able than now. The difference is a generation (2? 3?) who've never learned to operate at the faster speeds (and reduced response times).

I've long suggested that perhaps a tiered licensing system is needed.

No matter the age at which you choose to start driving (minimums remaining what the are)"

year 1 - 2 motorcycle only
                        year 3 - 5 car with HP of less than (something like 75) - accessories disabled (GPS, etc.)
                        year 6 - 10 car with hp up to 125 (or some intermediate level)
                        year 10+ like now - no HP or accessory limits

each tier would require a written and driving test with written tests actually being written and not pictographs like they have become. those who don't survive year 1 & 2 are taken out of the mix so congestion is reduced. those who refuse to ride motorcycles never meet the first 2 year requirements so also are taken out of the mix and forced to public transit (or as passengers). the mandatory first 2 years will create a more aware driver as they have been exposed to the careless cage operator from the other side. injury accident (or totalled single-vehicle accident without injury) and the driver has to go back 1 tier and start that lower tier clock over again.

enforcement of existing keep-left-except-to-pass laws.
                        Last edited by Bounce; 11-09-2010, 04:06 AM.

Comment

No way in hell I'd want these drivers riding a motorcycle. Besides, weather varies in all parts of the country and it would not be feasible.
                          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Enforcement of "Keep Right Except To Pass" or "Slower Traffic Keep Right" laws is a great first step. That is half the battle, though. Another thing necessary is to get people to start using their directional signals once again. Neither requires new laws - at least here in VA; just a little targeted enforcement of existing laws on certain stretches of road. Maybe a public ad campaign, such as the "Move Over Law" or "Click It Or Ticket" blitzes might prove somewhat effective.

Better driver training? Absolutely - but that would have to be secondary and would take a long, long time to "cycle in" a new generation of competent drivers. As much as society has been "dumbed down" during the past 20 to 25 years, this would be a nearly monumental task. As our society gradually "ages" and more & more older drivers are on the road, that will be tough -- especially when they are competing for pavement with young "don't give a chit" morons whose parents buy them cars they have no business driving.

This could be done, but I am not very optimistic. In the meantime, we'll just have to be happy that our speed limits in some stretches are moving upward towards "realistic" velocities suitable for competent, alert people who know how to drive properly.

"If you cannot handle proper highway driving, then take the frickin' bus!"
                            Last edited by VA Dutch; 11-09-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                              No way in hell I'd want these drivers riding a motorcycle. Besides, weather varies in all parts of the country and it would not be feasible.
                              sure it would. thins the herd. reduces congrestion at no cost to the taxpayer. win/win!

Comment

Last edited by topgunner; 01-17-2013, 02:05 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6358 users online. 442 members and 5916 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X