Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70 MPH Speed Limit Finally Coming To More Roads?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 MPH Speed Limit Finally Coming To More Roads?

I was listening to a local AM radio station and it was said that the speed limit is FINALLY going to be raised on more highways across Virginia. The law was passed last summer, I think, but they had to to wait for VDOT to do some speed surveys before actually posting a higher limit.

Some of the 70-mph stretches of highway will include sections of I-95, I-81, I-295 and I-64. Don't know anything about I-66 or I-77, however.

All I can say is "Yippee!!" (It is about time this state moves into the 21st Century, for crying out loud.) We now join every other Southern state from here to Florida with this common-sense move that will make highway travel safer, smoother and more efficient.

If we really want to make highway driving even better and enhance traffic safety, it is time to make people obey those "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs that are all over the place. A hike from 65 to 70 will not be very effective if people still want to poke along at 60 in the middle or left-hand lane. Passing on the right is not a good idea, but you see it all the time....unfortunately.

Kudos to VDOT for finally getting around to doing this!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Yeah, that leaves a smaller 'margin for speeding error'. ;-)

Good thing is VDOT folks want to get places faster too.

Comment

I have family that lives in Roanoke. They said that there are already 70mph signs up on parts of 81.

Comment

I have driven in VA, Most of the time I couldn't get over 40 with traffic lol
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

So, will this lead to more reckless driving tickets given for doing 80?

Comment

Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
            So, will this lead to more reckless driving tickets given for doing 80?
            no, 81
            dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
              I have driven in VA, Most of the time I couldn't get over 40 with traffic lol
              were you in northern virginia?!

Comment

were you in northern virginia?!
                Yes Man it was miserable felt like home lol (NYC)
                MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by ybtj View Post
                  I have family that lives in Roanoke. They said that there are already 70mph signs up on parts of 81.
                  There are no 70 mph signs in the Roanoke or New River Valley areas. Heck, for that matter there are none up to the 81/64 interchange, unless i was blind today. Just sayin....
                  Last edited by VSPTAC; 10-23-2010, 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
                  You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

The only places I know that are posted for 70 mph are I-85 from Dinwiddie County to the North Carolina state line AND I-295 from Prince George County to the I-64 interchange near Richmond.

Oddly, 70 to 75 mph is already the "de facto" limit on many highways. It will be interesting to see if any plans are made to change the "reckless driving" statutes in VA. Eleven miles over can now be a Class One misdemeanor? Give me a break!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                      Yes Man it was miserable felt like home lol (NYC)
                      I want to say NOVA was rated one of the top 5 places to drive in America...no fun at all!

Comment

your right dutch about 295. It starts in PG County at the 295/95 split and goes all the way up to Exit 27ish...right where the 64 exit is

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

The only places I know that are posted for 70 mph are I-85 from Dinwiddie County to the North Carolina state line AND I-295 from Prince George County to the I-64 interchange near Richmond.

Oddly, 70 to 75 mph is already the "de facto" limit on many highways. It will be interesting to see if any plans are made to change the "reckless driving" statutes in VA. Eleven miles over can now be a Class One misdemeanor? Give me a break!

Comment

Yep...I64 from Ft Eustis to Richmond being bumped to 70. Good luck on that stretch, so much traffic you can't get to 70.

Comment

Last edited by topgunner; 01-17-2013, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Speed limit is now 70mph on 66 once you get to Haymarket!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10337 users online. 515 members and 9822 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X