300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dislike of Yanks?

I was told by a Virginian that I, as a northerner, should not bother applying for any police jobs in Virginia with the exception of maybe some of agencies around Washington or in the Hampton Roads area as they generally do not like Yanks throughout much of the state.

It seemed to be confirmed as I was in the process with a department down there at the time (had taken the written test and passed in my PHQ). I was then called by a person in the personnel department and told that they were on hiring freeze and there was no plan for an academy within the next year. A few weeks later, I spoke to another person in the process with whom I was in correspondence and he confirmed that there was an academy, as he was just hired and about to be in it, and for that matter, there was another one in 6 months (he was from VA). I then called the personnel department (didn't tell them what I had heard) and asked if things had been changed. They said, "Nope, we're still on freeze and there's no sign of that changing." Seemed a little fishy after what the other VA native told me.

Anyone experience or witness something like this?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Maybe he just squeaked in?

Comment

I don't think that's the case. I was just hired by the Virginia State Police and I grew up in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK View Post
        I don't think that's the case. I was just hired by the Virginia State Police and I grew up in Boston.
        Can't get much more Yankee than that.

I am sure there is some lingering prejudice in some areas.

Comment

I know its HR, but VBPD's new chief is from Jersey, so I'm sure you will be welcome here.

Comment

I just got sworn in down in Southern VA with two guys from Pennsylvania. The don't really care where you're from in the United States. Its all about who you are as a person.

Comment

There is some "anti-Yankee" bias, but it is nothing like it was 20 or 30 years ago. If a department would hold that against you, they are not worth working for in the first place.

If you are a decent person, someone down here will hire you. I am a Yank and was hired (several years ago) by a rural agency. Just marry a Southern girl. That'll help you.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I applied with the VSP about a month ago and am keeping my fingers crossed. But I always think about how my accent would hold up in rural VA. "Hey how you doin' sir, trooper ******* wit da VSP. Reason I stopped'cha is cuz ya speedin' back there. Where's the fire chief?" * My thick NY accent* hehe

Comment

There's some of that Yankee bias but let's be honest - there's plenty of bias up north too. I spent 4 years in WV and I can't tell you how many cracks I've heard from my NJ buddies over the years.
                  Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

When I was going through the Prince William process the only possible bias I saw was that it can be hard for them to travel up to Jersey for the BI. Other than that I don't think it's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by k9education View Post
                      There's some of that Yankee bias but let's be honest - there's plenty of bias up north too. I spent 4 years in WV and I can't tell you how many cracks I've heard from my NJ buddies over the years.
                      What, were they insulting your cousin-stepdad?

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa25 View Post
                        I applied with the VSP about a month ago and am keeping my fingers crossed. But I always think about how my accent would hold up in rural VA. "Hey how you doin' sir, trooper ******* wit da VSP. Reason I stopped'cha is cuz ya speedin' back there. Where's the fire chief?" * My thick NY accent* hehe
                        Just go to an area like NOVA or Tidewater and no worries. In my office we had guys from outside Boston, RI, CT, and Panama. Out in the coal fields you may get some looks, but lets be honest, you will not be going there right away.

Comment

i don't like yankees...more of a mets fan.....
                          dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

FWIW: I live in MA (ya, I hate it/them too..) and have family and friends in GA. The way it was explained to me: they don't mind yankees moving down there (BTW if you move south you become a 'damn yankee'). What gets their ***** out is when you move down there and do the ole "well back north we did it this way" and "up north we did it that way". Southerners have their way of doing things, and it works for them. They don't care how things are done up north. And quite frankly I agree with them emphatically.
                            surly?? screw you....

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                              FWIW: I live in MA (ya, I hate it/them too..) and have family and friends in GA. The way it was explained to me: they don't mind yankees moving down there (BTW if you move south you become a 'damn yankee'). What gets their ***** out is when you move down there and do the ole "well back north we did it this way" and "up north we did it that way". Southerners have their way of doing things, and it works for them. They don't care how things are done up north. And quite frankly I agree with them emphatically.
                              Duece summed it up pretty good. If you like the country, live in the country. If you like the city, live in the city. It does stir me up when people move here because they like the lifestyle and scenery, and then promptly try to change it to adapt to where they came from. Next thing you know, all those fields and woods are full of houses and it defeats the purpose of moving to the area in the first place.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3120 users online. 147 members and 2973 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X