Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbpd

A quick memo concerning the hiring process:

The Chief spoke with City Manager Jim Spore to find out the results of his discussions with the Mayor and Vice-mayor regarding whether or not we should proceed with an academy at this point.

The concern has been not wanting to hire folks now, and then have to do lay-offs June 30th.

Based on his discussions, and the fact that we are at 51 vacancies now, with a reported 3 more currently in the Federal hiring pipeline, I was given the go ahead to start an academy March 1.

PD&T will begin this morning reaching out to the applicants who have completed the screening process (a pool of approximately 29) and will let me know how many accept the offer.

Best case scenario, we’ll still have 25+/- vacancies on July 1. We could ultimately lose some or all of those vacant positions as a result of budget cuts, and we’ll know that answer on May 11.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Good luck!

I have heard from several with brass on the collar there will be no lay-offs or furloughs of current full-time LEO's. However, they may cut some Academy positions...for example: run smaller Academies. With a Dept this size there are always several in the FED process.
    “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.”
    ~Harry S Truman

RIP Brothers

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16897-po...rick-pocceschi

http://www.odmp.org/officer/19503-de...smith-phillips

Comment

I just finished the online app, and need to register for a testing date. On the supplemental questions, I put that "No, I'll call later" just because it's around 2:00 AM, and I had no idea if they would be accepting calls. Any idea when the next testing date is or will I just find out when I call tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by dansik View Post
        I just finished the online app, and need to register for a testing date. On the supplemental questions, I put that "No, I'll call later" just because it's around 2:00 AM, and I had no idea if they would be accepting calls. Any idea when the next testing date is or will I just find out when I call tomorrow?
        I dont have a clue...sorry. You can check www.vbgov.com or call a recruiter at PD&T in the morning. I would say call a recruiter because the website might not be up to date.
        ~Harry S Truman

RIP Brothers

Comment

Here you go...found it on website
          Testing Dates: June 12, 2010 0900 and August 05, 2010 0800
          Last edited by K9_Rex; 02-12-2010, 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling
          ~Harry S Truman

RIP Brothers

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had thought I saw June 12 somewhere but couldn't remember where. Called them, understandably got to the voice-mail because of the testing tomorrow. Just waiting for the call back now.

Comment

I got the call today saying that everything on my app looked good and that my test date would be June 12. The B-PAD sounds very interesting.

Comment

Good luck...
                ~Harry S Truman

RIP Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by dansik View Post
                  I got the call today saying that everything on my app looked good and that my test date would be June 12. The B-PAD sounds very interesting.
                  The B-pad is awkward because your talking to a TV, but if you can get past that its not too bad. Good luck with your testing.

Comment

Hey everyone,

I am one of the priveleged 29 that made it and will be starting the Academy on the 1st. I am very excited and am eager to start the learning process. Good luck to everyone that will be testing. It was a long process but well worth it!!!!

Comment

So did anyone else here test on June 12th? I thought I heard one of the officers say there were around 144 people there. He also said they wanted to hire 35 for the academy in Feb/March which would be more spots than any other department I've tested with combined! A guy I was talking to said he had never seen it so crowded there before. That was definitely one of the smaller crowds I've tested with. Would that be around the same number that tested/will test on the other dates?

I loved the physical test. Wish there were more departments that just wanted us to do an extended sprint! The b-pad was by far the most interesting test I've taken since I've started testing, and it really kind of made me think about the job I'd be doing. Overall, a very enjoyable testing experience. Department looks top-notch, and living by the ocean wouldn't be so bad I guess . Just hope I pass the b-pad and get to backgrounds.

Comment

I started testing back in October 2009 and have still been stalled in the process. Good luck to you though, just don't expect this to be a quick process at all. Took almost 2-3 months for me just to get my B-PAD score. Even after that it took about another 1-2 months to get a polygraph and background. I passed the poly and my background was supposed to be completed within 30-60 days of my poly followed by the receipt of an oral board date. It has been 3 months since my poly and not one background reference has been notified. Needless to say, I 'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Went and tested to a lot of local and fed PDs while I was waiting, none of which I have been DQ'd from yet. Still crossing my fingers for VBPD though, and is still my number one choice; just hope it doesn't take too much longer. Not trying to discourage you, just letting you know it may be a lengthy drawn out process.

Comment

Hang in there... A few of my buddies took over two years to get hired with the Beach, and that was when they were in a hiring boom. It is what it is.

Comment

Graduating an Academy next month and starting another with 32. Still looking at 35 in February March 2011. Stick it out!!!

Comment

While I have some attention on this thread, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this as it is a small concern in the back of my mind. I am targeted to deploy with my national guard unit to Afghanistan around March-June 2011 for approx. 6-8 months.

If hypothetically I received an offer of employment from a police department, and was slated for an academy date that interfered with my deployment ; would I lose my offer of employment since I could not attend my offered academy date, or would I simply be deferred to a later academy date. This is just a concern of mine because in between all the testing processes I am going through, the targeted completion of the process would most likely interfere with this deployment. In the past my unit has excused individuals from going on a deployment because they were in the police academy or slated to be, but this is not an option for me as I fully intend on going on the deployment. Anyone have any idea?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1591 users online. 123 members and 1468 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X