300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident question

I'm coming up to a pretty big intersection about to make a right turn. The light for those going straight turns red and the arrow light for those turning right turns green.

At this time the light for the cars that pass perpendicular from right to left is green. As I'm making my right turn, a car from the left turn lane on te perpendicular side makes a u-turn and almost hits me.

I can see the expression on the guys face and he is yelling at me like I'm some kind of idiot. Maybe he didn't know my light was green but IF there was an accident and you responded to this call, who would be at fault? Would there be anyone at fault at all? Was I supposed to yield to that vehicle?

You have the right-of-way in that example. I suspect you were driving in Tidewater.

Comment

Lol, no, I drive where people don't know how to...NORTHERN VA!

Comment

We have that same set-up at the exit from our precinct. People making the u-turns always honk and glare like I've done something wrong. I pull to the right and wait for them to pass me and then pull them and explain their error.

Comment

I'm assuming that the turning traffic going right to left has a green ball and not an arrow since you have an arrow. If that's the case, the other guy is at fault like everyone else said.

Comment

Nope, the traffic going right to left also has the green arrow (two left turn lanes for that side). The traffic pattern is that all of one side clears out (left and straight) then the other side clears out (for the perpendicular lanes). I hope this makes some sense, I know it's hard to explain verbally lol.

Hearno, where is your district station? They honk at you in your marked cruiser?!? Lol. The place I'm talking about is at the intersection of Sunrise Valley and Centreville Rd in Herndon where the Herndon clocktower is (golds gym and the pool hall Breakers are right there also). My buddy stationed at Franconia says there is an intersection like the one I described near Springfield plaza, and he does the same, waits for them to pass then lights them up. He says left always yields to right!
            Last edited by Arewethereyet; 10-15-2009, 10:12 AM. Reason: .

Comment

That's an interesting question. Left yields to right, but technically, the cars turning left in your example were to your right, even if they were turning left (or making a U-turn). It could go either way, unless there is a statute or established precedent that says otherwise (there probably is).

Comment

Originally posted by VSPClem View Post
                You have the right-of-way in that example. I suspect you were driving in Tidewater.
                +1

You got the Tidewater drivers down!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4981 users online. 281 members and 4700 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X