NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Search incident to an arrest, kiss it GOODBYE!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iamacop
    Part-time ninja
    • Jun 2008

Search incident to an arrest, kiss it GOODBYE!!

Yesterday, the Supreme Court limited Officers on searches incident to an arrest. Pretty much, the only way you can do it is if you have reason to believe that evidence is in the vehicle. So, I would say that falls more under a Carroll Search, but Chimel inventories are pretty much out of the window.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that police need a warrant to search the vehicle of someone they have arrested if the person is locked up in a patrol cruiser and poses no safety threat to officers.

The court's 5-4 decision puts new limits on the ability of police to search a vehicle immediately after the arrest of a suspect.

Justice John Paul Stevens said in the majority opinion that warrantless searches still may be conducted if a car's passenger compartment is within reach of a suspect who has been removed from the vehicle or there is reason to believe evidence of a crime will be found.

"When these justifications are absent, a search of an arrestee's vehicle will be unreasonable unless police obtain a warrant," Stevens said.

Justice Samuel Alito, in dissent, complained that the decision upsets police practice that has developed since the court first authorized warrantless searches immediately following an arrest.

"There are cases in which it is unclear whether an arrestee could retrieve a weapon or evidence," Alito said.

Even more confusing, he said, is asking police to determine whether the vehicle contains evidence of a crime. "What this rule permits in a variety of situations is entirely unclear," Alito said.

The decision backs an Arizona high court ruling in favor of Rodney Joseph Gant, who was handcuffed, seated in the back of a patrol car and under police supervision when Tucson, Ariz., police officers searched his car. They found cocaine and drug paraphernalia.

The trial court said the evidence could be used against Gant, but Arizona appeals courts overturned the convictions because the officers already had secured the scene and thus faced no threat to their safety or concern about evidence being preserved.

The state and the Bush administration complained that ruling would impose a "dangerous and unworkable test" that would complicate the daily lives of law enforcement officers.
  • Highwaylaw
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2009

Ironically this item appearred in my local paper opposite an article about Obama wanting to prosecuting former Bush admin. members over 'enhnaced torture' orders. It seems NO ONE is permitted to protect and defend this nation in any way,shape, or form.
    I can't for the life of me figure out how this guy got into office, and more stunningly that no one can see the writing on the wall now that he's there.
    And who thought Justice Scalia would ever drink the kool-aid?!?!?!
    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

• VegasMetro
      Go Army!
      • Dec 2004

The press, once again, is wrong. Research this case... The suspect was arrested in his private driveway for a suspended DL. The court ruled the officer searched the suspects vehicle without illegally and I have to agree with the court on this one. This will only affect us if you:

A: Arrest a person out of their driveway where the vehicle is not going to be towed, or moved.

B. The suspect is arrested for a minor offense and you can not articulate "frisking" the passenger compartment of the vehicle for weapons.

Comment

• iamacop
        Part-time ninja
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Outshined
        I wonder if this includes "inventory searches" prior to towing to protect the defendants property.
        No it does not....

Comment

• dadyswat
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2007

Please note this comes from the liberal side of the court so you may have a good idea which way things are swinging.

Comment

• iamacop
            Part-time ninja
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by dadyswat
            Please note this comes from the liberal side of the court so you may have a good idea which way things are swinging.
            Yes sir, you are right. Guess it's never too late to switch to the other side....FF/Medic... Hahaha, those guys have it made... 24 on, 48 off, sleep on duty, good meals, no stupid case laws to deal with.. What were we thinking??? Nah, I'd never change..

Comment

• VA Dutch
              Former Deputy Sheriff
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Outshined
              I wonder if this includes "inventory searches" prior to towing to protect the defendants property.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

• DetDep
                Professionally Clueless
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dadyswat
                I'm sure that Justices Scalia and Thomas would be shocked to find that they are the liberal side of the court.
                Magistrate: "Do you have any other pending charges?"
                Drunk: "Well there's this thing where the cops said I spit blood on them."
                Me: "Wait a minute, that was me!"
                Drunk: "Oh... now you like me even less."

Comment

• DetDep
                  Professionally Clueless
                  • Jul 2006

[QUOTE=Highwaylaw;1777688]
                  I can't for the life of me figure out how this guy got into office, and more stunningly that no one can see the writing on the wall now that he's there.
                  QUOTE]

How is the President even related to this discussion? This was a Supreme Court decision, not some presidential decree.
                  Magistrate: "Do you have any other pending charges?"
                  Drunk: "Well there's this thing where the cops said I spit blood on them."
                  Me: "Wait a minute, that was me!"
                  Drunk: "Oh... now you like me even less."

Comment

• jigsaw457
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Highwaylaw
                    Because the media made him into a "celebrity"...not a patriotic politician, and thats really all he is. And the way American's are now days, most anyway, all that runs through their minds is celebritys and pop culture. Also his timing was PERFECT, with all of Bush's ****ups, and him "promising" all these "changes". Now we need to be even NICER to criminals and terrorists...thanks President Husssain.....

Comment

• marcusindc
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2008

I posted this under the General Law Enforcement topics and there's 7 pages of discussion there, along with some departments feedback from their prosecutors. Those who are still unsure, it might be worth looking over.

Comment

• t150vsuptpr
                        Hell on Wheels
                        • Oct 2005

I saw a thick stack of papers, a copy of the whole case, at the office and guys were talking about it, we even had a sign off sheet saying we'ld read it and guys were complaining and just throwing initials on it without ever reading it, just reading the first few words of a cover letter.

If you take the time to read the case, if you read just the beginning, you'll see that it's not the end. It was a proper decision. The officers clearly screwed up.

Read the case!

Belopw is not exact, it's by memory .... but it was something like Officers had been to a house rumored to be a drug supply point, they talked to this Grant fellow, they were looking for someone else, they saw a car in the drive, they ran the tag, took the owner info and run that, found he was suspended too, they returned later looking for someone else, ended up arresting a man and a woman, had them cuffed in two police cars, this Grant fellow arrives, drives up into the driveway, it's a private driveway, the car is stopped, he gets out, he locks the car, he walks towards a police officer, is 12-15 feet from his locked car which is now setting on private property, he is then arrested, a third police car shows up, he is placed in it, then .... officers go and unlock and search his car.

At trial, one officer was asked why they searched his car .... "because the law says we can" or words to that effect. They did not conduct a search incident to arrest. At no time during his arrest was he in a position to retrieve a weapon or destroy evidence in the car. Just because you arrest someone does not give you an exemption from the warrant reguirement to go back and search everywhere they were prior to the arrest. He was arrested standing in a private driveway 12-15 feet from the locked car.

Read the case.
                        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

• 10-40
                          Forum Member
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DetDep
                          I'm sure that Justices Scalia and Thomas would be shocked to find that they are the liberal side of the court.
                          +1 This is not a liberal/conservative issue. It is search and seizure, 4th Amendment 101 and the PO's should have known better. Seach of a vehicle incident to arrest is rooted in the mobility of the vehicle (the car was parked in his driveway) and the potential for evidence destruction (he was already secured and the vehicle could be monitored to prevent tampering) and officer safety (short of a ticking IED, nothing in the car could have presented an immediate harm to the PO's). They were too lazy to get a warrant.

This doesn't mean that "search incident to arrest is gone" or "here we go, they will strip us of all our powers now." It just means we have to follow the rules. I am confident that these PO's could have secured a search warrant for this car. Leave someone to watch it while the others get the warrant. With everyone locked up, the evidence would not have been destroyed. Cutting corners, a classic mistake.

This was lazy police work and the court got it right. That is why Scalia and Thomas were in the majority. This was not politics, it was law.

For those of you who found this distasteful from the "conservative" viewpoint, why are you not pleased that the court upheld a private citizen's 4th amendment rights when violated by the government?
                          Last edited by 10-40; 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• iamacop
                            Part-time ninja
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by 10-40
                            +1 This is not a liberal/conservative issue. It is search and seizure, 4th Amendment 101 and the PO's should have known better. Seach of a vehicle incident to arrest is rooted in the mobility of the vehicle (the car was parked in his driveway) and the potential for evidence destruction (he was already secured and the vehicle could be monitored to prevent tampering) and officer safety (short of a ticking IED, nothing in the car could have presented an immediate harm to the PO's). They were too lazy to get a warrant.

This doesn't mean that "search incident to arrest is gone" or "here we go, they will strip us of all our powers now." It just means we have to follow the rules. I am confident that these PO's could have secured a search warrant for this car. Leave someone to watch it while the others get the warrant. With everyone locked up, the evidence would not have been destroyed. Cutting corners, a classic mistake.

This was lazy police work and the court got it right. That is why Scalia and Thomas were in the majority. This was not politics, it was law.

For those of you who found this distasteful from the "conservative" viewpoint, why are you not pleased that the court upheld a private citizen's 4th amendment rights when violated by the government?
                            Um, how could they obtain a search warrant without probable cause? I don't think they had any reason to believe there was anything else in the car, because one of the Officers was quoted as saying, "Because it is the law," in regards to the reason why he searched.

If there was reason to believe that there was contraband in the vehicle, I think the Officer would have responded with another response. Any who, I still say that it's another barrier for law enforcement....

Comment

• t150vsuptpr
                              Hell on Wheels
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by iamacop
                              Um, how could they obtain a search warrant without probable cause? I don't think they had any reason to believe there was anything else in the car, because one of the Officers was quoted as saying, "Because it is the law," in regards to the reason why he searched.
                              That's the point, they had no reason to search it in this case.
                              Originally posted by iamacop
                              If there was reason to believe that there was contraband in the vehicle, I think the Officer would have responded with another response. Any who, I still say that it's another barrier for law enforcement....
                              I'm currious then ...
                              ... under which exemption to the warrant requirement would the search of Grant's car under the exact circumstances which it occurred ever been permissable?

As I read the case, it wouldn't have been permissable under any exemption I'm aweare of.

These aren't just the rights of perps we are talking about, their your rights too .... as well as mine.
                              "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20950 users online. 58 members and 20892 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...