Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Conservator Part Deux

e d i t e d . . . .
    Last edited by DEcop989; 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM.

Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post

These officers have full police powers, correct? And are able to utilize the word police, effect traffic stops, make arrests, and such?

They are private though, correct? Like a security company can have/deploy these guys to like a mall or hospital or community and give that business police officers instead of security? (excellent idea, btw)
    In order to become a conservator in Virginia you must be appointed by the Circuit Court of that jurisdiction. The order by a Circuit Court judge generally spells out exactly what the persons authority is and usually is confined to the property that they are patrolling. I'm not familiar of the exact process, however I have heard that these are very hard to obtain and rather rare in some jurisdictions.

I do remember dealing with a similar issue a few years back and the Circuit Court order is only good within that particular jurisdiction. For example, if you were appointed by the Circuit Court in Alexandria, that does not give you authority in other jurisdictions such as Fairfax County.

As far as full powers that again depends on the order from the court and where the court defines. The judge will generally specify what they are able to do and where they are able to do it. They are NOT able to utilize the word "police" on any of their vehicles and uniforms. However, I have seen some of their vehicles that look rather like police vehicles minus the word police. And I believe they are only able to utilize red lights.

As far as I know all of the malls and hospitals (at least in the Northern Virginia area) are private security, unarmed, and not conservators.

I don't know any specific companies that utilize these positions. I have dealt with it in the past and a lot of those guys were a bunch of squirrels and caused a lot of problems in what they thought they could and could not do.

Comment

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Conservator.shtm

They can use police titling - I don't know the company but the 7-11s in my jurisdiction contract special conservators who have police powers on their property. I think their uniforms say "protective service" or something.

Comment

Mount Vernon, as far as I know, has a "quasi-police" force where their officers (I believe that is the title) are considered 'Special Conservators Of The Peace'. Last time I was in that vicinity, I noticed that their vehicles had red & white strobe lights - but not blue.

In VA, if memory serves me correctly, anyone who has arrest powers is going to have the state/commonwealth seal in the center of his/her badge. This includes game wardens, state troopers, deputy sheriffs, police officers, some jailers, fire marshals, etc., etc. Don't know about the S.C.O.P. folks, though.

Laws and regulations change frequently, so what may have been true just a few years ago is now totally different.

I don't know if an 'officer' appointed as a S.C.O.P. can carry a concealed weapon under HR-218 provisions, though. As mentioned above, I don't believe their powers extend beyond a particular area or jurisdiction.

As a side note, about fifteen years ago I had a friend who was employed by King's Dominion (down towards Richmond). He had "Special Police" on his uniform patch, had full arrest powers in and around the park and carried a firearm. He drove an unmarked car that was equipped with both red & blue lights in the grille. (That was long ago, however.) Maybe he was an S.C.O.P.

He later became a full-time officer in another area, but I lost touch with him eons ago.
        Last edited by VA Dutch; 10-09-2008, 07:14 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

e d i t e d . . . .
          Last edited by DEcop989; 06-19-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

decop..read some of your other posts and as a leo hopefull was wondering why didnt your prev. dept keep u on i thought if hurt on the job they would make sure u werent left behind, hope im not overstepping my bounds by asking

Comment

You've just received a PM and your questioned asked has been answered

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue492 View Post
                http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Conservator.shtm

They can use police titling - I don't know the company but the 7-11s in my jurisdiction contract special conservators who have police powers on their property. I think their uniforms say "protective service" or something.
                I stand corrected, however the court still has to permit them to do so in the order.
                Last edited by Cape804; 10-09-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Mount Vernon, as far as I know, has a "quasi-police" force where their officers (I believe that is the title) are considered 'Special Conservators Of The Peace'. Last time I was in that vicinity, I noticed that their vehicles had red & white strobe lights - but not blue.
                  I have worked that area for 6 years now and only recently realized they actually had their own police department. From what I understand they only really provide security there though. Any type of criminal activity that occurs is handled by US Park Police.

Comment

Kingsmill Resort, part of Busch Garden has SCOP, but they pay peanuts. If you're a military veteran consider a federal police gig. Although they are just as restrictive as a SCOP officer with the authority and jurisdiction issues.

Comment

ANy other scop gigs?

Comment

They can have "police" on badge/patch etc. (circuit court approval)

Very few have an area as big as Alexandria (who hires some directly) most have only property they are protecting.

They are pretty much armed security with expanded arrest powers.

Under no circumstances can you use the VA Seal on a badge or patch.

Check out VA DCJS (department of criminal justice services)
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

No idea what depts that thave them?

Comment

Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post
                            No idea what depts that thave them?
                            Contact DCJS. They might be able to get you a listing of which companies want their security guards to be SCOPS.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3750 users online. 260 members and 3490 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X