Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Internal memo: Virginia State Police stretched thin

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.a...9-22-0137.html

"The Virginia State Police needs 600 more troopers, investigators and supervisors to meet the expanding demands of its mission, a department manpower study has found."

"Citing tough economic times, the agency this month sent a letter to 63 new-trooper candidates that it is postponing, for a second time, its academy class, which was scheduled to begin Oct. 25. It is now scheduled for Feb. 25.

Delaying the class saves the agency $250,000 a month. But it also means it will be unable to fill 45 vacant positions for which it has funding -- a number that officials say will grow to 100 by September 2009 -- the time the February trooper class graduates."

There certainly is not a shortage of troopers along I-95.

{Just kidding!}

Seriously, though, a lot of people don't realize that our state police do many other things besides "highway patrol" and traffic enforcement. The VSP handle just about any type of law enforcement work you could imagine, and some troopers have to perform regular "local" police functions in some of the more remote areas.

It is not a stretch to say that troopers will be answering calls about trespassing, drunk teenagers, domestic assualt or vandalism if they're stationed in some of the counties where there may only be one deputy on duty in the whole county.

They are responsible for so much more than merely writing speeding tickets and investigating traffic crashes - although many in the public do not know that.

We can only hope that our state's leaders find a way to pull their heads out of their arses and get with the program. Unfortunately, too many of them will simply call for raising taxes - again - as the solution.

Last edited by VA Dutch; 09-22-2008, 04:46 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

County I work has an authorized strength of 13 troopers, it went from 9 to 12 in 1969 with the opening of a new piece of interstate. I came here from elsewhere in 1981, traffic was light. It ain't light no more. But, there have been many safety improvements on the roads, some new bridges which are wider than two lanes, and the county sheriff's office works radar and writes traffic cites now, which they never did back then. It helps with the wreck numbers and calls for assistance.

We also hasve more of those alloted positions assigned specialties like K-nine, Tac Team, Crime Prev Spec, Acc Reconst., firearms and driver training, tacticle field force, and probably something I forgot. All these things take men off the roads for training and the specialty, so the others have to catch the slack.

Yeah, we could use a few more, but we'll make do for now.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM.
      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Do they allow out of state lateral or does averyone have to do full blown academies in VA ?

maybe a waiver program would help them save on hiring costs if they lack one.

Comment

It was a manpower study, it was not exact science, it was several years ago, if not implimented , we may someday have to limit the specialties and concentrate on the core mission.

I don't forsee there ever being a program allowing laterals into the Department. We have our own ways. whether one agrees with them or not. Part of the reason for having them all go through basic is accountability should they screw the pooch and the dept. suddenly find itself in a big lawsuit and not having been in on the man's training. If they go through our basic, the dept. has complete training records, all lesson plans, scores, the whole deal and a Lt. or Capt. will show up in a court with a box of stuff and show exactly what and how a man was trained on this day in this class.

And I don't see the state legislature providing funding for salaries and equipment for 600 troopers over current levels in my lifetime (and I'm hoping for another 45+, like to see 100) even if the training was free. It'ld be a good deal, but that's still 600 more postions to fund. Don't see it happening.

I have been surprised before.
          Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 09-24-2008, 09:27 AM.
          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Good luck with the state government "coming through" with the necessary funds to fill the state police vacancies. While there certainly is a lot of waste in our state's budget, public safety is not an area where large cuts should be made.

Outside of 'necessary' functions, I know that parts of our state government probably need to be pared back a bit. Unfortunately, most bureaucrats think that a "cut" is merely a reduction in the amount of increase they'll get.

Someone needs to point out the rate of increases in government spending, compared to population growth. The beginning of the truth may be there!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

vsp

Originally posted by OverCharged View Post
              Do they allow out of state lateral or does averyone have to do full blown academies in VA ?

maybe a waiver program would help them save on hiring costs if they lack one.

Laterals, State Police ,, Thats a funny one.... I do not know of one SP agency that permits laterals, I may be wrong, but I think they all want you to go thru their own little hell of an academny... IMHO
              Last edited by 2971511; 10-23-2008, 04:32 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Actually the Oregon State Police are hiring laterals. Judging from thier website, they are trying to fill a lot of vacancies. The info below is from the website.

Requirements: (same as entry level recruit)
                — Pass Written and Physical Testing
                — Background Investigation
                — Psychological and Medical Testing

Adjusted Lateral Training Program:
                — Oregon DPSST certified officers who lateral to OSP will be required to attend OSP mandatory 4 week pre-training and 4 week post training but are exempt from the DPSST 16 week basic course.
                — Out of state certified police officers will be required to attend OSP mandatory 4 week pre and 4 week post training and are exempt from the 16 week basic course, however, must attend a two week DPSST Police Career Development Course.

Comment

VSP makes you attend their entire academy. My buddy is one and I don'tthink he likes it that much. I am glad I didn't go state.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3784 users online. 259 members and 3525 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X