300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FairFax County Sheriff Dept

Could anybody tell me what the Academy is like for the Sheriff's Dept?? Is it alot of PT while at the academy? Is the Academy Para Military? How are the Instructors???

Dont know what the academy is like, but I will say its a fine sheriffs dept. I've had many run ins from ride alongs who end up in the FFX ADC, and they are great guys, best of luck.
    Waiting for openings with:
    Amtrak PD
    City of Fairfax PD

Comment

FCSO goes to through the same basic training school that the Fairfax County Police Department, Vienna, Herndon, and Fairfax County Fire Marshall's office goes through at Fairfax Country Criminal Justice Academy. Even FFX County Animal Control goes through it.

The main difference is that FCSO has either a 4 or 6 week jailers/sheriff's school before the start of basic in order to teach skills and concepts you'll need to use at the jail. Right after graduation, they're assigned to the ADC unlike the FCPD who has to go through 2 weeks of in-service right after graduation to learn RADAR/LIDAR, Taser, etc...etc...etc.

When it comes to PT, most military people say it's nothing compared to boot camp. To me, it was difficult in that they push you to your limits and beyond, but it's nothing impossible.

Edit: I know there's a few FCSO recruits here on officer.com that just started Sheriff's Basic School last week so they'll be able to elaborate more.
      Last edited by JayKay; 09-20-2008, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Do you have to work in the Dentention Center first to become a Civil Process Deputy?

Comment

Originally posted by JayKay View Post
          FCSO goes to through the same basic training school that the Fairfax County Police Department, Vienna, Herndon, and Fairfax County Fire Marshall's office goes through at Fairfax Country Criminal Justice Academy. Even FFX County Animal Control goes through it.

The main difference is that FCSO has either a 4 or 6 week jailers/sheriff's school before the start of basic in order to teach skills and concepts you'll need to use at the jail. Right after graduation, they're assigned to the ADC unlike the FCPD who has to go through 2 weeks of in-service right after graduation to learn RADAR/LIDAR, Taser, etc...etc...etc.

When it comes to PT, most military people say it's nothing compared to boot camp. To me, it was difficult in that they push you to your limits and beyond, but it's nothing impossible.

Edit: I know there's a few FCSO recruits here on officer.com that just started Sheriff's Basic School last week so they'll be able to elaborate more.
          Thanks alot for the info!!! I used to be in the miitary but I have been out for almost 11 years so i'm getting myself back in shape, because I don't to take no chances.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsexy1925 View Post
            Thanks alot for the info!!! I used to be in the miitary but I have been out for almost 11 years so i'm getting myself back in shape, because I don't to take no chances.
            We have a few, ahem, "older" veterans in our recruit class and they could hack it without problem. But yes, try to get in the best condition as possible as it'll make PT a stress relieving process and not stressful!

Originally posted by ACO88 View Post
            Do you have to work in the Dentention Center first to become a Civil Process Deputy?
            Yes

Comment

It has been mentioned before, but it is a "sheriff's office" in Virginia -- not a 'department'. Minor semantics, but it may save you a few pushups at the academy.

Good luck & remember that all LEOs are kindred spirits, whether you wear a star or a shield.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Why do they have a bicycle team? Do they just patrol the Dentention center area?

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

It has been mentioned before, but it is a "sheriff's office" in Virginia -- not a 'department'. Minor semantics, but it may save you a few pushups at the academy.

Good luck & remember that all LEOs are kindred spirits, whether you wear a star or a shield.

I am the guilty person, thank you for clearing that up I will most definately keep that it mind!!

Comment

Why do they have a bicycle team? Do they just patrol the Dentention center area?
                    They generally patrol the courthouse, detention center, and the parking lot areas around them.

Comment

99% of the time you will do a minimum of 2 years in the ADC before you can transfer out to something else. The bike team, like Motors, SERT and other stuff is a supplemental thing, not a full time gig. So they bring them out for special events like festivals, concerts, parades, etc and work from them.

Bigsexy,

2 bits of advice for you. First, consider a different screen name. This things have a tendency to come back and bite you. Second, 90% of your posts are asking about PT for various academies. Start working out and get in shape instead of searching for an academy that has a low PT standard.
                      Last edited by GGG; 09-23-2008, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by securityunlock
                        how can this screen name come back to haunt him? Also is there internet access in the pods?
                        Trust me, it can.

Comment

I seriously doubt a screen name like "Bigsexy" can hurt anyone. It's neither racist or offensive.
                          "Oh oh, the State is here......"

Comment

Would she want to introduce herself to the Sheriff as "BigSexy"? I would wager not. My point is to not say anything here you do not want IA to know about, and not have a screen name that will make you look silly to the people who decide your promotions and other positive personnel actions.

Take it for what it is worth and I am leaving it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG View Post
                              99% of the time you will do a minimum of 2 years in the ADC before you can transfer out to something else. The bike team, like Motors, SERT and other stuff is a supplemental thing, not a full time gig. So they bring them out for special events like festivals, concerts, parades, etc and work from them.

Bigsexy,

2 bits of advice for you. First, consider a different screen name. This things have a tendency to come back and bite you. Second, 90% of your posts are asking about PT for various academies. Start working out and get in shape instead of searching for an academy that has a low PT standard.
                              I have a few things I need to point out!! Excuse me if I get alittle long winded but GGG my screen name is my screen name!! I appreciate your comments regarding my name but please let me handle this, and if a problem arise with my name then I'll deal with it. As far as me introducing myself as bigsexy you gotta be crazy to think that I would go in there and say hello my name is bigsexy!!!. 2nd why would Internal Affairs ask me anything about a screen name? I am not on here with a name that offends, or demeans anybody. I don't have any problems about any answering questions about any part of my life when the time arives SIR!! Internal Affairs have other things to worry about then somebodies screen name on a public forum. Besides I don't think that's going to be one of the polygraph questions that I might have to worry about, and if so I think I could handle that explanation!! Should MPSSNIPER change their name?? Considering the fact that the DC Snipers were from that area? Who cares if he's a state trooper!!! He has SNIPER in his name (Sorry MPSSNIPER for using you as an example)but for what you are saying his Internal Affairs might be interested in him when he's up for promotion!!! And speaking of promotion your work should speak for itself when it comes to getting promoted if you know your policy and your procedures and if you have demonstrated these abilities to your supervisor 's then it really shouldn't matter. 3rd I am in Law Enforcement!!! I have already been though an academy before so going through one again won't be an issue SIR!!! So me trying to find a academy with the lowest PT standard is stupid! 4th why are you looking into my previous posts?? You don't have anything else to do in your spare time than to look up my previous posts? That sounds like you might need a life?? Get one please and leave mine alone!!! Are you Internal Affairs?? If not then please leave it to the professionals!!! If you are a fairfax sheriff's deputy the only thing you could have about the PT said was get the job and find out! Atleast thats what I would say to somebody inquiring about something like that. So for you to imply what you implied and think that it was going to be the end because you said "Take it for what it is worth and I am leaving it at that" I think you might have been sniffing alittle bit to much of that OC spray! I see that you are a Law Enforcement Officer from Va. and I respect that, but we are supposed to have a bit of professionalism about ourselves at all time. Rather we are on duty or not we are a direct reflection of our respective Department's or Offices. I do apologize to the people who are reading this post it was not my intention to offend anybody but this was just something I just had to get off my chest.

Take it for what it is worth and I am leaving it at that.
                              Last edited by bigsexy1925; 09-24-2008, 07:52 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2779 users online. 158 members and 2621 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X