300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgina State "Park" Police

Does anyone have any info about this police force? I looked at the VA Department of Conservation and Recreation website and can't find anything about them?

Yeah, I've seen their cars on those police websites, but never heard of them past that. The only thing I could think of what that that park rangers were converting of some of their vehicles, but perhaps someone else knows.

Comment

yeah I've just seen the cars but can't find any info. I might just call DNR.

Comment

They are called the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries. They are responsible for patrolling state parks, enforcing hunting and fishing violations, and they do a lot of enforcement on the state waterways (BUI enforcement)

Comment

Originally posted by MRC372 View Post
          They are called the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries. They are responsible for patrolling state parks, enforcing hunting and fishing violations, and they do a lot of enforcement on the state waterways (BUI enforcement)
          http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/ is the VA Department on Conservation and Recreation. This is who the VA State Park Police Work for. They work in state parks.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/ Is the VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. They are two different agencies.

Last edited by ACO88; 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM.

Comment

My mom works for DCR and the head of law enforcement had told her that if I wanted to be a cop, the job was not necessarily for me. There is some enforcement and they are sworn, but there are lot of other responsibilities also. Depending on the park, they are provided with housing on site, and may be required to stay there. The pay is not that great either.

Comment

DCR law enforcement - another service for Virginia citizens

DCR lands - state parks and natural area preserves - are some of the safest in Virginia, in large part because of the emphasis the agency places on law enforcement staff training.

More than 100 DCR employees are sworn police officers; the majority of these work for Virginia State Parks, but two work in the Natural Heritage Program. These employees have full police authority on all DCR property, more than 100,000 acres across Virginia.

Though the department has had sworn staff for more than 40 years, last July the Code of Virginia was changed so that DCR officers derive their authority from the same source as state police, game wardens and local law enforcement officers. In that vein, the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) oversees their training and certification.

DCR is a member of the Cardinal Regional Criminal Justice Academy in Salem, Va. Other academy members include 24 police departments, eight sheriff's offices, CSX railroad police and others. All new DCR law enforcement employees participate in an 18-week basic law enforcement academy dealing with everything from constitutional law, to pursuit driving, to officer survival. In addition to receiving training, DCR staff teaches subjects such as firearms, defensive and advanced patrol tactics, DUI enforcement, intermediate weapons, and communications to all of the academy's member agencies.

Every two years, all officers must complete 40 hours of additional DCJS-approved training and qualify with firearms and intermediate weapons. DCR also provides 20 hours of additional in-house law enforcement training annually on topics that interest officers. In March, all officers received training in anti-gang enforcement and other timely topics such as explosives identification and recognizing terrorist threats and materials associated with them.

DCR recently received $100,000 in Homeland Security grant funds through the Virginia Department of Emergency Management. The money will be used primarily for protective equipment that would allow staff to extricate themselves from hazardous materials situations.

Three sworn staff members work at DCR in Richmond. Warren Wahl, assistant state parks director, is a member of the Cardinal Academy Governing Council and was recently elected vice-chairman of the academy's executive board. Bryan Anderson is Virginia State Parks' training coordinator and deals with all training certification, including most of the interactions with DCJS. Dave Summers is the most recent addition to the central office staff as law enforcement manager. His duties include new employee background investigations, managing the department's Field Training Officer Program, assisting with field investigations and serving as liaison to the Virginia State Police on the National Incident Based Reporting System. All three are members of DCR's Use of Force Review Committee and maintain the department's law enforcement policies and procedures manual, a document that has been praised by Virginia State Police legal and operational staff.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5945 users online. 337 members and 5608 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X