300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virginia state troopers and fairfax police

Hello all. I am from New Jersey and just looking around trying to figure out where to apply to. I think Virginia is a beautiful area and I am thinking about driving down there and getting the process started. However, aside from what I could find from looking around on the internet, I don't know much about their police departments. Would you guys recommend going the state trooper route or looking into Fairfax police (according to the internet they are both hiring). I know that the Fairfax police pays pretty well, so is it really difficult to get a job there? Any opinions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

If you like giving cops tickets then VA state trooper are for you. The Fairfax police are a very good dept. I would go with them for the best choice.
    sigpicThey go thru such training
    They graduate with honor their uniform is neatly pressed
    Their shields shine in the sun this is the pride that a police man takes

They patrol our streets with such pride
    Day and Night they keep us safe
    For the love of the job
    for caring for others
    Our Nation's Police Man
    Patrols with such pride

Comment

I don't know why VSP has this reputation. I have been stopped twice by them, and did not get cited either time. Once, when I did not ID myself, the trooper even asked me what my occupation was and gave me a pat on the back. Of course, I wasn't doing anything outrageous and did not act like I had a right to be let go.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

va state

Your right I have been in the MD,VA ,DC area 10 year and I never have got a ticket for Va state but that's what I have heard. That they give cop tickets.
        Last edited by blkcops; 08-15-2008, 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
        sigpicThey go thru such training
        They graduate with honor their uniform is neatly pressed
        Their shields shine in the sun this is the pride that a police man takes

They patrol our streets with such pride
        Day and Night they keep us safe
        For the love of the job
        for caring for others
        Our Nation's Police Man
        Patrols with such pride

Comment

Having been a fed in VA, I was stopped 3 times for minor speeding infractions by VSP, each time they were decent, and I was respectful and apologetic (even after one trooper apologized to me for not seeing my FOP tags, I said hey I was the one in the wrong). Several of my coworkers got stopped by VSP while running around in the Gov Tahoes, and each time they were also cool.

As for employment, just depends what you want to do. Ffx Co. has an excellent reputation, VSP does mostly highway patrol type work in the Northern VA area, pretty sure they do more full service calls down south.
          Last edited by SA216; 08-16-2008, 11:10 AM.

Comment

From everything I have heard the Fairfax police have a very good reputation. Since I am only 22 and just graduated college (got a bachelor's in CJ), do you think it would be very difficult to even get considered by Fairfax. I am not sure how many people they are hiring down there so I was just curious. But again, I really appreciate all the help.

Comment

Fairfax County Police is currently at or near full staffing right now. They're still running a process but I believe it's for a wait list from last I heard.
              Last edited by JayKay; 08-16-2008, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blkcops View Post
                If you like giving cops tickets then VA state trooper are for you. The Fairfax police are a very good dept. I would go with them for the best choice.
                I've been stopped several times over the years by VSP and never got cited. A local county dept (which will remain unnamed...just to be fair), gave me my last (and 1st in 20 years) ticket not long ago. And yes, she knew who/what I was. But I digress.

Most of the agencies in No Va are solid: Alexandria, Arlington, Prince William, Vienna, Herndon, Falls Church, Loudoun, Leesburg. Hmmmm....did I leave anyone out? VSP is also good but deals primarily with the interstates in NOVA. Check them all out.
                Last edited by KapsFB; 08-17-2008, 09:35 AM.
                sigpic
                Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Along those lines, I should also say that a certain county deputy stopped me once on the Greenway (easy to figure out who) and gave me a bit of a hard time "I usually don't give YOU GUYS a break..." (I assume he meant feds), anyway I don't really care if someone reads me the riot act or gives me the lecture as long as they send me on my way

Lots of solid agencies in NoVA so don't get limited to just one. I suggest doing ride alongs, it's a great way to get a feel for the dept. and area.

Comment

VSP isn't as bad as their reputation would lead you to believe. I've been stopped twice and no ticket either time. They've always been respectful and I used to eat dinner at the same place they did, and they were always pleasent.

I work in Alexandria and we're hiring, so check out our site and see if it interests you. (alexandriava.gov)

FFX is close to being full, like the earlier poster mentioned, so you may have a difficult time getting in with them.

In either case, good luck.

Comment

I've had nothing but good experiences with VSP and never been cited.

They have been saying that we (Fairfax) are at or near full staffing for a few years now and they have continued hiring. I doubt they will just stop hiring in a department this size with the amount of people that are always leaving/retiring. Now, they may become more selective as to who they hire though.

Comment

I am 48 and pursuing a career in law enforcement, after 20+ years in another area. Originally from VA, and hoping to relocate back home to do this. Any insight into the departments, etc. would be great. No dept. has discouraged me because of the age issue, but I wondered which depts. are more open to life experience, etc. as opposed to younger folks. I just want to get on somewhere. Perks, $$$, etc. are not as much of an issue, as just getting into law enforcement is. Have applied recently to Fairfax, Alexandria, PWC, and Richmond. Anything that anyone has would we appreciated. If you prefer to pm, feel free to do so.

Comment

Your right I have been in the MD,VA ,DC area 10 year and I never have got a ticket for Va state but that's what I have heard. That they give cop tickets.

There are a couple ways you can avoid ever finding yourself in the position of worrying about it you know.

Either pay attention and keep it within reason ...
                          ... or just stay out.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-17-2008, 10:33 PM.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

If you've never got a ticket from a VA Trooper, then why post something negative about them with something that you "heard"? Are you L.E.?

Anyways, Fairfax I believe has better benefits than the State does. Plus they don't have to reply on such a restrictive budget like the State does. But the State does have it's perks, one mainly being that if you want to relocate for some reason, you can do so without having to apply to a different department and whatnot.
                            "Oh oh, the State is here......"

Comment

Originally posted by nitrovic
                              This is because of a story about Va. state pulling over a caravan of New Jersey cops on their way to Katrina. The truth of the story is that Va. state received multiple complaints about the Jersey cops driving like a-holes and giving the staties an attitude when they pulled them over. I've been pulled over by state once (I'm a PWC officer) and they were VERY professional. I had a new car with temp tags from out of state and didn't realize I was going 10 over, they were very good about the whole thing. Only believe what you know, that is the first rule of good police work. I guess some just believe rumors...
                              IIRC, it was a deputy that made the stop. We just got the bad press.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5604 users online. 312 members and 5292 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X