300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burlington Police Dept

Can Anyone tell me anything about Burlington Police and the town?? I'm looking at taking a job there.

Burlington has a population of approximately 35k. It is the largest city and largest municipal pd in the state. Pay is good, but I don't know how well it stacks against the cost of living, someone up north could tell you better. There are several colleges in town, thus a lot of college students. The area is very liberal. There are several pd's hiring in the state, go to http://www.vcjtc.state.vt.us/job.htm to see a listing.
    Last edited by WHC166; 10-24-2007, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Non-LEO here, so I can talk mainly about the town. I lived in the area a while back and thought it was relatively expensive. I say "relatively" because I live in the DC region.

However I knew someone then making $30-40k who was able to afford a townhouse in the Burlington suburbs--that wouldn't happen in DC. It looks like Burlington pays about $35k.

You'd probably want to confirm this with others, but I believe there is a "needle" problem there that brings with it a high rate of property crimes and domestic violence. In fact I've lived in several states and the only time I've been a victim of property crime was in VT (cops knew who did it but couldn't catch them with the goods).

Maybe Vtfuzz can give you more info on Vermont from the LE perspective.

Beautiful state, way more trees than people, winter sports and hey looks like you're in Minnesota so you must like the cold.

UVM is the gorilla in the room--it's a college town so I'd bet you'd have many students as "clients" (I think UVM just this year made it off Princeton Review's list as a top quality party school destination). Fletcher Allen Hospital is also a big employer, as is/was IBM.

The Flynn Center has live music and comedy performances, George Carlin and stuff like that. Coupla breweries, and oh yeah, a really big lake. Knew a number of people with small boats, and there is/was a big fireworks display on the Fourth. Ben & Jerry's is headquartered nearby, as is Vermont Teddy Bear Factory.

I'd guess it would seem more like a small town by size/scene/social aspects when compared to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I always thought VTSP sounded like a cool gig.

Disclaimer: These are just some of my ideas and impressions of Burlington. I wouldn't take any of it as gospel and encourage you to get as many different views as possible.

Good luck!

Comment

As far as I know, B-Town is very liberal, artsy, college town (not my cup of tea).

BPD is pretty tough to get into I believe you need a bachelors degree to apply (not sure on that) and their hiring process is on par with VTSP and RCPD.
        WE DON'T GET PAID TO LOSE

"Be nice, until it's time NOT to be nice" ~ Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time. I'm just sending all my information and talking to the recruitment office at this point. If they deside to take a look at me, I plan on flying up for 3 or 4 days and taking a look see. The town sounds like a fun town. I love winter. So I think that will work good for me.

Originally posted by ezwy View Post
          Non-LEO here, so I can talk mainly about the town. I lived in the area a while back and thought it was relatively expensive. I say "relatively" because I live in the DC region.

However I knew someone then making $30-40k who was able to afford a townhouse in the Burlington suburbs--that wouldn't happen in DC. It looks like Burlington pays about $35k.

You'd probably want to confirm this with others, but I believe there is a "needle" problem there that brings with it a high rate of property crimes and domestic violence. In fact I've lived in several states and the only time I've been a victim of property crime was in VT (cops knew who did it but couldn't catch them with the goods).

Maybe Vtfuzz can give you more info on Vermont from the LE perspective.

Beautiful state, way more trees than people, winter sports and hey looks like you're in Minnesota so you must like the cold.

UVM is the gorilla in the room--it's a college town so I'd bet you'd have many students as "clients" (I think UVM just this year made it off Princeton Review's list as a top quality party school destination). Fletcher Allen Hospital is also a big employer, as is/was IBM.

The Flynn Center has live music and comedy performances, George Carlin and stuff like that. Coupla breweries, and oh yeah, a really big lake. Knew a number of people with small boats, and there is/was a big fireworks display on the Fourth. Ben & Jerry's is headquartered nearby, as is Vermont Teddy Bear Factory.

I'd guess it would seem more like a small town by size/scene/social aspects when compared to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I always thought VTSP sounded like a cool gig.

Disclaimer: These are just some of my ideas and impressions of Burlington. I wouldn't take any of it as gospel and encourage you to get as many different views as possible.

Good luck!

Comment

Bachelors degree

I don't think you need Bachelors. I have AA in Police/ Law enforcement, and Skills training at a state academy and the MN POSTTest for policing. They seem to like that. I like very liberal. And MPLS/STpaul is very artsy town to. I don't know how long I would stay if ask to work there, but you never know. I have no wife no kids, nothing holding me here so I can do what ever I want to. It's good feeling.

Originally posted by VtCO84 View Post
            As far as I know, B-Town is very liberal, artsy, college town (not my cup of tea).

BPD is pretty tough to get into I believe you need a bachelors degree to apply (not sure on that) and their hiring process is on par with VTSP and RCPD.

Comment

Bpd

Well lucky for you, I have first hand knowledge about BPD. Ask me anything and I shall tell. Yes we are hiring, I know that our recruitment is really only limited to Vt and the surrounding areas, so unless you know what you are looking for then we are hidden in the terms of tapping into the applicant pool.

You do not need a BA or AA to apply, although it is "perferred." I got hired on with military experience and very little college. Our population is about 40k. Two large universities in the area so it equals plenty of college students and parties to be broken up. I do have to say it gets crazy on the weekends as far as students. They are everywhere at all hours. The pay is just about top in the state with VSP and UVM police somewhere in there. Cost of living is high if your young and have a low cash flow like I did when I moved here. Renting is the way to go until you get some time on and bump up in pay. I think second year base is 42k and third is 45k. OT and extra stuff heavy in the summer time.

Other than that, it is a good place to work with lots of vareity and we stay busy. If you have any specifics, fire away.

Comment

Paper work

I sent in all my paper work on saturday. Do you know what happens after that?

Originally posted by jrothen4 View Post
                Well lucky for you, I have first hand knowledge about BPD. Ask me anything and I shall tell. Yes we are hiring, I know that our recruitment is really only limited to Vt and the surrounding areas, so unless you know what you are looking for then we are hidden in the terms of tapping into the applicant pool.

You do not need a BA or AA to apply, although it is "perferred." I got hired on with military experience and very little college. Our population is about 40k. Two large universities in the area so it equals plenty of college students and parties to be broken up. I do have to say it gets crazy on the weekends as far as students. They are everywhere at all hours. The pay is just about top in the state with VSP and UVM police somewhere in there. Cost of living is high if your young and have a low cash flow like I did when I moved here. Renting is the way to go until you get some time on and bump up in pay. I think second year base is 42k and third is 45k. OT and extra stuff heavy in the summer time.

Other than that, it is a good place to work with lots of vareity and we stay busy. If you have any specifics, fire away.

Comment

Hello,

I know you posted this years ago but if you are still on the dept I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me. My husband is in the process of laterally transferring to Burlington from DC. We were curious about a couple of things- how much do you pay into your pension, and how much do you pay for health coverage (% of pay I mean) Is overtime available when you want it or is it strict?

Thanks a lot

Originally posted by jrothen4 View Post

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8345 users online. 450 members and 7895 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X