300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do they look at your credit history?

I have a question to become a police officer or sheriff in vermont do they look at your credit history mine is bad???

Thanks!

As part of the selection process you will go through a background investigation. It will inquire into you financial history to determine your credit standing with lenders, as an indication of your dependability and integrity.

To get an idea of the financial part of the background addresses, go to http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf and start reading at page 149. While this is the California standard, the principles behind it are fairly universal for law enforcement in general.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Someone too hopelessly far in debt, is a liability...considered easy to bribe, or supervisors and commanders do not want calls from finance companies at the workplace (ask me, been there, with one of my former officers).

You may consider yours as bad...but it may be just "bad to you". Get as caught up as you can. Show the prospective agency you are working to clear up your name and reputation, they can take that into account.
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

My question is: what about a recent bankruptcy? Your credit is bad, but you owe nobody any money. I went through a bankruptcy due to a failed business, not bad money handling in general.

Edit: never mind. I read the thing in the link. If its accurate as a general rule nationwide, I'm okay for the thing I'm trying to do.
        Last edited by ComicGuy; 07-14-2012, 12:40 PM.
        sigpic
        Don't make me gassy.
        You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

Bankruptcy is a legal right. Absent any evidence of fraud, the mere fact that a candidate has undergone bankruptcy cannot be the sole basis upon which employment is denied. (11 USC 525) Investigators may inquire into the circumstances that led up to bankruptcy, including the examination of supporting court records regarding reported assets and liabilities at the time when the bankruptcy petition was filed. Once filed with the United States District Court, these are public records.

In short, it primarily revolves around how you practice financial responsibility. It's one thing if you made a reasonable effort to live within your means and things happened that were beyond reasonable control. It's another thing if you made dumb business decisions or spent like you didn't worry about where the money was going to come from.

As I suggested to the original poster, go to http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf and start reading at page 149. It will explain how your general practices towards financial responsibility are evaluated by most agencies.

Comment

mostly medical bills , there are things i didn't pay for because i couldn't afford it , i also got an outstanding loan for college $6,000 I still need to pay for iam in debt

Comment

worried about filing bankrupt

Comment

In VT it depends on the agency...state agencies yes, all others maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Decoste78 View Post
                  mostly medical bills , there are things i didn't pay for because i couldn't afford it , i also got an outstanding loan for college $6,000 I still need to pay for iam in debt
                  It will all depend on the circumstances. Are you truly in over your head due to circumstances beyond your control or is it because of your financial irresponsibility?

What were your finances like before you were hit with the medical bills? Were you spending and financing beyond your means?

After you were hit with the medical bills, what efforts did you make to work with your creditors? Did you continue to charge and spend beyond your means knowing you had debt you could not pay?

Again, it all comes down to whether you have demonstrated responsibility, dependability and integrity in your financial history. If you read the reference material I pointed you to you should have a good idea of where you stand in contrast to many agency's standards.

Comment

I hope so, They usually do
                    Go wildcats!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8609 users online. 391 members and 8218 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X