300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Time

Are you aware of any Departments that are hiring Part Time?

I am Non Certified. I know that I need to be sponsored for the Part Time Academy.

I was on the VCJT website but the information is not accurate. Made some phone calls and left VM. I'm not too familiar with the towns and locations and size of departments. I have talked with some wonderful people but they seem to be very small departments that are not hiring at this time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you,
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Pretty much any sheriff's department in the state hires part time, and they're always looking for people. The problem there is that you're not gaurenteed patrol work. Could be traffic, could be court security, could be who knows what else. It's a good way to get your foot in the door, though. I believe Windsor PD is looking for some part time help too. They stay pretty busy with their own special breed of morons! Windsor is southeastern Vermont between Hartland and Springfield.

There's a part time academy in session right now, so I think the next one will be a few months from now. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Pretty much any sheriff's department in the state hires part time, and they're always looking for people. The problem there is that you're not guaranteed patrol work. Could be traffic, could be court security, could be who knows what else. It's a good way to get your foot in the door, though. I believe Windsor PD is looking for some part time help too. They stay pretty busy with their own special breed of morons! Windsor is southeastern Vermont between Hartland and Springfield.

There's a part time academy in session right now, so I think the next one will be a few months from now. Good luck to ya.
      Now that is too funny lol

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I called them, and they are sending out an application to me. If any others agencies pop in your head, just let me know. Thanks again.

Have a Great Day my friend.
      Last edited by jcioccke; 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM. Reason: update
      MDRDEP:

Comment

Also check around Chittenden County, several small agencies also hire part-time Officer's.

Shelburne, Richmond, Hinesburg, Williston and I think Essex, however I'm not sure about Essex. Check with Milton as well. Also VSP hires part time Troopers. I think part time troopers handle their Marine Division and in winter the Snow Mobile trails, but a quick call to them will give you a better answer as to what VSP does for part time work.

Good Luck

Comment

Thank you Sgt53
          MDRDEP:

Comment

Originally posted by SGT53 View Post
            Also check around Chittenden County, several small agencies also hire part-time Officer's.

Shelburne, Richmond, Hinesburg, Williston and I think Essex, however I'm not sure about Essex. Check with Milton as well. Also VSP hires part time Troopers. I think part time troopers handle their Marine Division and in winter the Snow Mobile trails, but a quick call to them will give you a better answer as to what VSP does for part time work.

Good Luck
            I'd be a little weary about part-time VSP. I think the auxillary troopers are going by the way side and Vermont Fish and Wildlife are taking it over. At least those are the rumblings I've heard.

Comment

Update on my Part-Time search.

I received a letter from Middlebury Police Department to come up on the 17th of December at 5pm to take the "Law Enforcement Candidate Record (written examination)" Then my next step would be the Oral Board. Wish Me Luck.
              Last edited by jcioccke; 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM.
              MDRDEP:

Comment

Good Luck, keep us posted

Comment

Indeed ^^^ Good luck. Hope all goes well

Comment

Well Chief selected myself and one other for the evaluation testing (Part time)

The test was 4 hours with a break in between. The gentleman was much younger than myself, and carried himself well. I know I am getting older because I am siting there thinking to myself, I hope this kid makes it. Mind you if he makes it I am out. He had so much enthusiasm, and seemed like a real good kid. But he didn't know a darn thing about the Department. This I was not sharing, you have to learn that on your own.

I was fortunate enough to finish up the first part with a half hour to go and I got a lot of face time with a few Officer's and the Sgt. The Sgt. was great, he let me ask a few questions about the Department that I couldn't find on the Internet. I was honest that I wanted to be prepared for the Oral Board, and he smiled and told me that if I pass the test that I will be scheduled for the oral board. ( I already passed the written at the Academy on the 6th of October) I guess the Chief selected us two personally. I got the idea that my cover letter was the reason I was selected.

My counterpart who was testing has not taken the exam or PT yet. Didn't talk with anyone. I told him to introduce himself to the Dispatcher, and walk with his head up. OK I did help him a little, but that is probably the father instincts in me.

I am hoping that my age, background, small department, and being it is a Part Time position may give me an edge. We shall see. I am now in the "waiting for the letter" mode.

This will let me know if I play nice with others, and I'm not crazy. The other half of the test was memory, report taking, and reading and comprehension.

Thank you fellas, and I hope to become a fellow Brother soon.
                    Last edited by jcioccke; 12-18-2009, 08:10 PM.
                    MDRDEP:

Comment

If for some reason it doesn't pan out Springfield PD is hiring for a full-time slot and part-time slot(s). Website is: www.springfieldvtpd.org

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you Vtfuzz. Much appreciated my friend.
                        MDRDEP:

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz View Post
                          If for some reason it doesn't pan out Springfield PD is hiring for a full-time slot and part-time slot(s). Website is: www.springfieldvtpd.org

Good luck!
                          Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm looking into Springfield PD as well. Does anyone have any info on the department? Just the usual questions, morale, equipment, etc. How many hours do part timers usually get? Do you need to do the physical fitness test for part time as well? I'm fit, but the bench press may be a problem.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tacscuba View Post
                            Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm looking into Springfield PD as well. Does anyone have any info on the department? Just the usual questions, morale, equipment, etc. How many hours do part timers usually get? Do you need to do the physical fitness test for part time as well? I'm fit, but the bench press may be a problem.

Thanks
                            Other than what is posted on their web site I do not know anything about the Department. Maybe VTFUZZ can help you.

Comment

Originally posted by tacscuba View Post

Thanks
                              Equipment is good, moral for part-timers is good...could be better on the full-time side. Hours is spotty...there are 20 hours dedicated a week, but they also have the opportunity to sign up for regular OT shifts (which there are plenty of and the guys are getting tired of working).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4785 users online. 264 members and 4521 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X