Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing My Part To Keep VT Section Going.

I want to thank everyone for the input and suggestions in here. It is Greatly Appreciated!

I have my application in a few Departments, and I am hoping to interview soon, with a few of them. I love Vermont it has always been a place my wife and I would go throughout the years. It is a Hop Skip and a Jump for us.

Few questions if you don't mind.

Do you enjoy Policing in VT?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages? (say vs NY)

For anyone that has applied, or is applying; Please feel free to post where you're at in the process.

Lets Keep VT Section Rolling
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Do I enjoy policing in VT? Well, yes and no.

ADVANTAGES:
    All leo's in the state have statewide authority (criminal, traffic, etc.). Lots of grant work opportunities (DUI, CLIOT, etc.). Most PD's are township PD's so you have room to roam around. Almost all traffic violations are civil so you get to play prosecutor for your tickets (not really a perk, but can be fun and amusing at times!) Good working relationship between agencies as all officers go through same academy (state, local, county, college, etc).

VT is very liberal and offenders rarely do any jail time. We can only physically arrest for misdemeanors that occurred in our presence (although there is a small list of exceptions such as Domestic Assault), and bail on offenders is very low so almost everybody bails out. We also can not search a vehicle incident to arrest w/o warrant or consent, nor can we search a vehicle based solely on pc w/o a warrant or consent. We also can not search a closed container found on a person incident to arrest w/o a warrant or consent. We can also not order a violator out of their vehicle w/o an articuable reason (officer safety, investigation of criminal act). Hmmm...what else?? LOL

Comment

VT is very liberal and offenders rarely do any jail time. We can only physically arrest for misdemeanors that occurred in our presence (although there is a small list of exceptions such as Domestic Assault), and bail on offenders is very low so almost everybody bails out. We also can not search a vehicle incident to arrest w/o warrant or consent, nor can we search a vehicle based solely on pc w/o a warrant or consent. We also can not search a closed container found on a person incident to arrest w/o a warrant or consent. We can also not order a violator out of their vehicle w/o an articuable reason (officer safety, investigation of criminal act). Hmmm...what else?? LOL
      Thanks Vtfuzz. Wow thats different to say the least.
      MDRDEP:

Comment

Wow, I can't believe how strict it is up there. Searching a vehicle incident to arrest is where we find the good stuff. The not searching a vehicle based solely on PC is kind of crazy too. It sounds like you really need to be good at writing warrants in VT.

Comment

Any Departments allow a Ride Along?
          MDRDEP:

Comment

I don't know any that don't jcioccke...just give a call to the ones your interested in and ask.

Comment

I don't know any that don't jcioccke...just give a call to the ones your interested in and ask.
              I know it seemed like a dumb question, but around here it's not allowed.

I have sent the forms in, and waiting approval.
              MDRDEP:

Comment

All set and scheduled for Friday the 23rd 1500- 100

I will let everyone know how it went. err Vtfuzz
                MDRDEP:

Comment

Where are you doing the ride-a-long?

Comment

St. Albans PD.

Sgt. Hoague set the ride-along up for me with one of the FTO. Sgt. is a great guy to talk with. I am looking forward to meeting him. I'm not sure who I'm riding with, I only know it's one of the FTO. I hope I get to buy her/him a meal for taking me out on the road with them.

I couldn't find much about the Dept on any of the forums. But I did enough research on the PD, Town, Dept. Mission Statement, and current issues they have.
                    Last edited by jcioccke; 10-16-2009, 10:48 PM.
                    MDRDEP:

Comment

I know Ron, he's a good guy. Have fun..I'm not too familiar with the city but I hear they are pretty busy for a very small city...

Comment

St. Albans has a prison, I doubt you will see it on your ride along, because I don't think the City PD goes out into the town.

Comment

St. Albans has a prison, I doubt you will see it on your ride along, because I don't think the City PD goes out into the town.
                          Interesting, I will let you know. Thanks VTlawman.
                          MDRDEP:

Comment

How much money does the state have? Is hiring a huge problem like in Massachusetts?

Comment

How much money does the state have? Is hiring a huge problem like in Massachusetts?
                              Lot of agencies are hiring in VT.

Got to this Link:
                              http://www.vcjtc.state.vt.us/index.htm
                              MDRDEP:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4466 users online. 278 members and 4188 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X