300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont Law Enforcement Jobs

I'm currently a NJ resident, but am looking to move from NJ to either VT, or NH at the end of this year. The job market for Law Enforcement Careers here is flooded and the state is expensive to the point of pricing me out. I was on the list for the NYPD until the economy went down the pipes and they stopped hiring. I'm now on a 2-3 year waiting list. I want to become a police officer or state trooper, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a little information on the hiring process up there. (Here we have Civil Service, Chiefs test, and Alternate route) I currently work security as well as dispatch for a small town part time, and have a BA degree. What are the best areas to live in? Is Sheriffs Dept big up there? Thanks for any and all information!
    "Writing about yourself seems to be a lot like sticking a branch into clear river-water and roiling up the muddy bottom..."

This website will answer all of your questions my friend.

http://www.vcjtc.state.vt.us/index.htm
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

you might want to look at vermont state police. They test a bunch of times over the year and they have a great package.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
        This website will answer all of your questions my friend.

http://www.vcjtc.state.vt.us/index.htm
        jcioccke is correct, click on that link, you will find employment opportunities as well as testing dates and what is required.

As far as what area to live in, well that would depend on where you apply and who hires you. Chittenden County is expensive, it's unreal what a one or two bedroom apartment will cost you in rent. I do not know of many Departments in Chittenden County that require you to live in the city, Town or County that you work for. The outside Counties are a bit cheaper to live in and the commute is not all that bad (depending where you work).

Check that site and start applying

Comment

Originally posted by 2010DEP View Post
          you might want to look at vermont state police. They test a bunch of times over the year and they have a great package.
          I'm actually testing with them next Saturday. Excited about it though I'm still coming up short by 5 on the sit-ups... Keeping my fingers crossed!
          "Writing about yourself seems to be a lot like sticking a branch into clear river-water and roiling up the muddy bottom..."

Comment

Thanks for the link... it's proven rather useful. I don't thing Chittenden will be to bad. Rent down here is $1,000 a month for a cheap place. I just need a job to move to Vermont, as I've heard the job market isn't the greatest. If the State police don't work out right now I'll look into corrections or dispatch for a little bit

Comment

I'm actually testing with them next Saturday. Excited about it though I'm still coming up short by 5 on the sit-ups... Keeping my fingers crossed!
              Good Luck, they were training the K9 today, it was cool to watch. There was a few officers, rooting us on today, during our run.
              They were cool guys.
              MDRDEP:

Comment

jmb, don't count out municipal agencies...several pay better than VSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz View Post

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz View Post
                    I'm going to take Burlington next year after I move, and Monpelier as well the next time they hold a test. Other then that I'm going to have to do reseach as far as the other agencies. At least the job market isn't as flooded as down here. If one position opens 2-300 people are almost guarenteed to show up. If I have any other questions I'll post them, and also let you all know how next Saturday goes!

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                    Good Luck, they were training the K9 today, it was cool to watch.
                    K9 is one of the units I would like to look into eventually, though my ultimate goal is to get into investigations, or a narcotics unit of some kind.

Comment

In Southern VT, Hartford, Springfield, Brattleboro, Bennington and Rutland are the ones to look into. Hartford isn't all that busy arrest wise, but the rest are (by VT standards).

Comment

Good Luck tomorrow. And bring a sweat shirt for the run tomorrow. It's suppose to be chilly.
                        MDRDEP:

Comment

Vermont State Police test finished on Saturday. All passed. I scored a "Good" on the Sit-ups and Sit and Reach and "Superior" on the push ups, bench press, run, and BMI tests. Filling out my Personal History packet now, and interview on November 2nd. I'll this thread posted on results. Any tips for this point going forward? Right now the state is going to allow for 7 hires, the State Police are pushing for 15.

Comment

Congrats Man!!! That's Awesome!

Who knows, maybe we may both make the February Academy.
                            MDRDEP:

Comment

Everything went well with the Vermont State Police Oral Boards. (The scenario questions they threw at me almost made my head spin!) I don't know what my standing is over all yet, but they did tell me that they would be in touch within the next 2 weeks to possibly schedule a polygraph test. They Don't have them here in New Jersey, but the Trooper that did my pre-poly said it's nothing to worry about. After this only the medical is really left I think. My scores are good for 2 years so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for early to middle of 2010! Anyone have any tips for the tips for the rest of the process, or where the best places to work for the state police could possibly be?
                              Last edited by jmb_85; 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5105 users online. 285 members and 4820 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X