300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont Sheriff's Departments

I understand they usually do more than sheriff's departments in other New England states (those that even have them). But what are they usually tasked with? Are they strictly civil affairs and court security, or do they respond to calls, do patrol, (full police service) etc?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

It depends on the County. There are Sheriff's departments in this state who offer full police services (they contract with towns for this), and some do not. All do civil affairs and court security.

Comment

Originally posted by VTlawman View Post
      It depends on the County. There are Sheriff's departments in this state who offer full police services (they contract with towns for this), and some do not. All do civil affairs and court security.
      Which ones do full service? I did a little research, but the only one I could find for sure was Bennington County.
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

The ones I am sure of are Bennington, Windham, Lamoille, Franklin, and I think Windsor.

Comment

Windsor only does contract traffic enforcement, no criminal work. Windham does mostly traffic enforcement but I think still have one or two towns they do a little bit of criminal work (up until they go off duty at 9 or 10 pm and then State Police take over). I'm not sure about Bennington County. The two up north, Lamoille and Franklin are the only two "true" full service agencies.

Most of the Sheriffs concentrate on contract traffic enforcement, court security, prisoner transports, contract road work details, and security/police at ski resorts. They are also not unionized and pay poorly.

This may change in the future as the state is working on spreading out the work in rural areas so VSP is not so "overworked".

Comment

Rutland County Sheriff's also do patrol work. Cover a few towns, and do criminal work.

Comment

Rutland County does full service patrol work for Proctor and West Rutland. They also have a deputy assigned full time to the Diamond Run Mall. Other than that, they only do speed contracts with a few other towns.

Comment

[/QUOTE] This may change in the future as the state is working on spreading out the work in rural areas so VSP is not so "overworked".[/QUOTE]

VSP is too overworked? When did that happen?

Comment

I’ll stick with Commercial Motor Carrier and vehicle enforcement work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5875 users online. 328 members and 5547 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X