X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue_Stone
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2016

Anyone in the process with UHP?

Anyone in the process with UHP? I'm supposed to take my PT and written in a few weeks.
  • COMoparfan392
    Rorum Fember
    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Blue_Stone
    Anyone in the process with UHP? I'm supposed to take my PT and written in a few weeks.
    How did the tests go? I might apply as a lateral in December.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

• TW9
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2018

Well they have hundreds of vacancies. If you have a pulse and can pass a background you'll get in.

Comment

• 647(F)
        647(F) commented
        Editing a comment
        Why are they losing so many bodies?
    • COMoparfan392
      Rorum Fember
      • Jul 2017

Looking for some personal insight into UHP, seems like a good agency but wanted to get a current troopers take. Please DM me.
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

• Iamkre8
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2020

They have a lot of open positions?

Comment

• jcsoloman
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2009

Also would like to get some insight on the hiring process, morale of the department, etc. Thanks!

Comment

• jerseysleo
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2016

I know I'm a bit late on the post but for anyone that has any insight- I'm out of state and would consider a lateral transfer if it were the right move. I like colorado but its a bit on the other side of politics for me and they just got rid of qualified immunity for police.

Someone mentioned hundreds of vacancies last year. How credible is this and why are there hundreds of vacancies? I feel like we're a little late on the boomer retirement movement so I doubt hundreds just retired. Why are people leaving?

Comment

• RJflyer
              RJflyer commented
              Editing a comment
              The larger agencies in UT are always hiring. I would be cautious about moving to UT for LE work though. The pay and retirement is awful compared to neighboring states. And cost of living (home prices) in UT is skyrocketing with all of the Californians fleeing there.
          • jerseysleo
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2016

That’s unfortunate. I know Colorado pays very well but the cost of living is up there as well. Californians need to stay in their own cesspool they created and stop moving to the other states.

Comment

• RJflyer
              RJflyer commented
              Editing a comment
              My former dept in UT received lots of interest from Colorado LEOs looking to relocate in the past year. I think all but one ended up deciding to stay in CO once they saw what the pay and retirement system were like. UT is definitely on the pro-LE side for the most part. But Salt Lake County is becoming more and more progressive (like Austin compared to the rest of TX).

Southern UT (St. George area) is a nice hidden gem. A lot of current Utah LEOs are relocating down there from Weber, Davis, Salt Lake and Utah Counties. That's why you're seeing a lot of vacancies from the larger agencies in northern and central UT.

If you're dead set on relocating to UT, I would focus your search on southern UT. The pay and retirement still aren't great. But the weather is awesome and its much further from the politics that you're looking to avoid.

• jerseysleo
              jerseysleo commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not dead set on utah, I've been looking into Wyoming (I've been to Cheyenne, kind of boring, and Jackson is WAY too expensive), Montana (never been but looks nice), and even Idaho but I don't know really where I'd like to be. Colorado is ideal for me because i've been there so many times I know the state almost as if I live there and I have good friends that live out there. I just can't see myself moving to another blue state when I grew up in jersey. Utah is just a similar option. I'm coming from SC, where the pay isn't great, so I'm not taking a 50k pay cut like i would be if I were moving from jersey
          • Hopeful_vet
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2015

While I would agree pay and benefits appear on the low side in Utah, most fail to realize they are pretty comparable when all things are added. First, Utah requires officer to pay nothing towards their retirement, which was recently changed to 50 percent at 25 years. Second, every Utah agency provides a take home car, some even allow personal use within the county you work. Third, many agencies are working on upping their pay significantly and improving benefits. At my agency they give $3000 a year towards a HSA and $1100 for a uniform allowance, which can be used for almost anything equipment or uniform wise. I started my career in Los Angeles for a very short time. I thought I would be rolling in the dough, each time I checked my pay check I felt 50 percent was automatically taken between union dues, benefits, retirement and taxes. I encourage you to look well beyond your hourly rate.
            Last edited by Hopeful_vet; 11-19-2020, 02:59 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19332 users online. 46 members and 19286 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...