Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOI
    replied
    JSD73 is right, those 3 day weekends get rough. Especially for those of us who commute. Add drive time on top of the 12s and it gets tiring fast. It might not be so bad if you could check on and off duty from your drive way.

One thing to consider with 12s is that you won't have any relief until a couple of minutes before the end of your shift. If we get a call at 0530, it's our baby, we caught it we clean it. So our 12s regularly turn into 15s by the time we do all required paperwork. And THEN add drive time and you have a bad day followed by very little sleep and another bad day a few hours later.

I wish we would either get 4 hours of overtime or an 8 hour day every other week. We don't. In fact we don't get squat, we just eat the 4 hours as a show of love and dedication for our job.

Of course we also work 2184 hours per year and our cheap-*** county pays us for 2080 hours as if we work 8s.

I would take 4 10s in a heartbeat after years of working 15s....... er, 12s.

Leave a comment:

• School Cop
    replied
    4 10's is what I'll be on, once I actually get on patrol. Everyone there seems to love it, morale is very high.

My old PD did the 3-4, 4-3 schedule when we were full, which was never. It's definitely got its pluses, but I think 4 10's is the thing.

Leave a comment:

• JSD73
    replied
    We work 12s. One short week, one long week. Every other weekend off. For instance, work Mon, Tue, off Wed, Thur, work Fri Sat, Sun. Off Mon, Tue, work Wed Thur, off Fri, Sat, Sun.

I like it but the three day 12 hours is rough. My favorite shift ever was the 4/10 split.

Leave a comment:

• dfwblue
    replied
    Originally posted by bikecop136 View Post
    We are off every other weekend. We have one 8 hour day during the two week period.
    Same setup we use. Love it.

Leave a comment:

• RPA1069
    replied
    We work set days. You either have Thurs, Fri, Sat and every other Wed or Sun, Mon, Tues and every other Wed. I want to go to rotating. The set days really kind of suck.

Leave a comment:

• Jackson34
    replied
    Does the Wylie Police Department have 12 hour shifts?

Leave a comment:

• Glock22/149
    replied
    Saginaw PD works 12 hr shifts....4 on 4 off....our days off rotate. I love it

Leave a comment:

• SHSURobert
    replied
    That's Niiiiice..

Leave a comment:

• bikecop136
    replied
    We are off every other weekend. We have one 8 hour day during the two week period.

Leave a comment:

• RPA1069
    replied
    Does Denton do rotating weekends or 3 on 4 off etc?

Leave a comment:

• bikecop136
    replied
    Originally posted by RPA1069 View Post
    We (Rowlett) work 12 s with rotating days. Within that 2 week pay period we get an 8 hr day. You still have to have a "majority" vote by all sworn to get 12s passed.
    +1 here in Denton. We had a few guys upset about going to 12's. We have been working them going on 2 yrs now and love them.

Leave a comment:

• SHSURobert
    replied
    Thanks for the info, North.

power,

Does your days off rotate? I would prefer 10's if days off rotated, e.g. every other weekend. However, I just don't want to work straight 8's anymore. Having M/T or T/W off for the enxt 10 years doesn't sound too exciting to me.

Leave a comment:

• powerstroked
    replied
    in austin we work 4 10's and i like it. it works out really nice

Leave a comment:

• Rush817
    replied
    12s

Originally posted by RPA1069 View Post
    We (Rowlett) work 12 s with rotating days. Within that 2 week pay period we get an 8 hr day. You still have to have a "majority" vote by all sworn to get 12s passed.
    Do you guys like the 12 hr shifts? I have been pushing them for awhile but I can't get the majority of the guys to get on board. How did you guys get it passed?

Leave a comment:

• RPA1069
    replied

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2695 users online. 188 members and 2507 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X