300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on NCTCOG academy

I am looking for feedback on anyone who has gone through this academy - what is it like in terms of academics, physical fitness, adult learning vs. military style, etc. Thanks!

I went thru there and finished up in June. Academicly they'll have you prepared for TCLEOSE. If you have any background in athletics or military, then the physical will be easy or even a little disappointing.

Hope that helps
    "The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it – Thucydides"

Comment

Thanks for the information. Now that you have gone through it, are you working for an agency? I ask because I am curious if you feel like it has prepared you for the field. For example, is there a lot of (or at least adequate) training in defensive tactics? Does everybody experience taser, OC, and tear gas? It doesn't sound like a boot camp environment? Thanks!

Comment

In order to attend COG, you have to be sponsored by an agency. There's no self-sponsorship there. If you're looking for one that will, try Tarrant County College (TCC) or a few other colleges in the area.

I won't say it prepared me for the field but it did give a foundation for the FTO prg to work from. We did go thru taser, OC, baton, firearms (duty and shotgun), and a driving course. We learned some DT but honestly, we used it so litttle, I doubt it really stuck. Again, it laid a foundation for what my agency is teaching me in the field.
        "The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it – Thucydides"

Comment

I understand about the sponsorship but your comments are affirming some concerns that I had. I mean, for example, if you got into a fight with a suspect, or a shootout, would you feel confident in your skills needed to survive it? Nobody likes being yelled and screamed at but I am thinking that perhaps I should apply to an agency with a paramilitary academy. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by 422JDB View Post
            I understand about the sponsorship but your comments are affirming some concerns that I had. I mean, for example, if you got into a fight with a suspect, or a shootout, would you feel confident in your skills needed to survive it? Nobody likes being yelled and screamed at but I am thinking that perhaps I should apply to an agency with a paramilitary academy. Thoughts?
            I wouldnt get too hung up on the type of academy. COG has trained many good officers in the DFW area. Although COG is not a paramilitary academy, it appears they do a good job turning out recruits. No matter how good the academy is, it doesnt change the fact that they are just laying the foundation. The things you learn from your FTO, your experience, and further training is what really is going to shape you as an officer.

With that being said....I would rather have my training come from the actual departments academy or one they sponsor you to goto. I am sure that you can get quality training from a community college academy or some other self sponsored academy, but I would personally want to go through the academy with people that have already been screened by their employing agency.

Comment

One thing you must realize with COG is that they have to teach in such a way to accommodate 30+ agencies in the metroplex. Because of this, COG must be very general in nature to specialized instruction, such as defensive tactics and firearms. Your agency will most likely host some type of in-service academy or post academy training after you graduate to teach agency specific techniques.

After the academy, my agency put us through 8 weeks of post academy training that included firearms, driving, defensive tactics, traffic stops, building searches, etc. We also did a lot of scenario training post academy that showed us what our agency expects. Most of our post academy training was hands on, very little academics. They expected us to have a firm grasp of the TCLEOSE material after the academy.

As a COG graduate, I can affirm that they WILL prepare you for the TCLEOSE exam. They have an extremely high pass rate on the first attempt. If you go in with the mindset that you are there to get your certification and to gain a basic understanding of law enforcement fundamentals, you will do fine.

Just shine your boots and iron your uniform and the staff will stay off your back.

Comment

Originally posted by dfwblue View Post
                With that being said....I would rather have my training come from the actual departments academy or one they sponsor you to goto. I am sure that you can get quality training from a community college academy or some other self sponsored academy, but I would personally want to go through the academy with people that have already been screened by their employing agency.
                I can't agree more. I went to a college academy and we had some winners in there... one picked up on warrants right before the TCLEOSE exam.
                sigpic
                Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

I tell my Recruits to let COG certify you and we will teach you how to become a cop. We do a 3 week in house after the academy and go back over a lot of academy stuff. Firearms, driving, DT, and scenario training.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDude View Post
                    As a COG graduate, I can affirm that they WILL prepare you for the TCLEOSE exam. They have an extremely high pass rate on the first attempt. If you go in with the mindset that you are there to get your certification and to gain a basic understanding of law enforcement fundamentals, you will do fine.

+1 there! And all the other concerns you had, you'll get when you got thru FTO. I just finished Phase I and had no issues other than learning the freakin geography but there is no way an academy can prep that unless it's an agency academy and those are going to be your larger agencies.

Originally posted by TexasDude View Post
                    Just shine your boots and iron your uniform and the staff will stay off your back.
                    Aint that the truth! High gloss shine buys you points!!

Comment

Guys this is great information, thank you very much. I just want to make sure I make the right decision on where to apply such that I can be confident in the training I receive.

Here's one other question: does FTO tend to be more paramilitary or adult learning style in the agencies around DFW?

Comment

Originally posted by 422JDB View Post
                        Guys this is great information, thank you very much. I just want to make sure I make the right decision on where to apply such that I can be confident in the training I receive.

Here's one other question: does FTO tend to be more paramilitary or adult learning style in the agencies around DFW?
                        Can be both. From my experience, FTO washes more people out than the toughest academy anywhere. Most guys really learn if they want to be the "POLICE" in FTO phase.

Comment

Why do people leave during FTO?

Comment

People leave the FTO program for two reasons: (1) The recruit realizes police work is not right for them for whatever reason. (2) The FTO advises them police work is not right for them!
                            Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

What are the most common mistakes people make while in FTO that gets them fired or suggested that they leave?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6123 users online. 338 members and 5785 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X