300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLEAT ot TMPA

What do you guys suggest, joining CLEAT or TMPA? I know members from both, but I have not met anybody who has actually had to use either one. I have heard the name CLEAT much more, but that does not mean anything and there may be something better than TMPA or CLEAT.

http://www.tmpa.org/

http://www.cleat.org/index.aspx

Check the websites for both. There are ongoing talks of CLEAT coming back to TMPA. They split in the late 70's. I would go with TMPA. The do not use staff attorneys. You can use any attorney you like.

Comment

I asked the same question about 2 years ago. Here was the advice I got:

It is like asking to buy a ford or a chevy. Each will have a preference. Just get one.

I got TMPA. They are comparable and TMPA was cheaper.
      "Do not be deceived:Bad company corrupts good morals."
      1 Corinthians 15:

You are the weapon, everything else is just a tool

Comment

I can't speak for CLEAT, but I have used TMPA a few times in my career. I can assure you one thing, when you are in a high critical incident; shooting, in custody death, etc, TMPA will have someone out within 2 hours, 24 hours a day. Even for general questions, they have the nicest staff and will answer your legal questions asap.... They even sent their mobile trailer to our Department one cold @$$ day last year and cooked for everybody. Ofcourse, a little recruitment to their organization occurred, but they truly do care about their Officers..

Comment

CLEAT for me. I have used them and they were there when it counted. I had a Bro jammed up on fed charges and he was in TMPA, he said they provided no help in the fed system. I don't know cause I wasn't there to see it played out.

Just get in an association CLEAT, TMPA, or both. All it takes is one "Client" to make false allegations to make the dollars you spent on membership cheap.

Comment

I have used both and in my experience TMPA is the far more professional pro-officer organization. I dropped CLEAT after 5 years of crap. They do not communicate or put out the effort for their members that TMPA does. CLEAT has a reputation as taking an agencies side over an officer's when it comes to matters of termination or department discipline and I could not stand the way the entire organization was run. It was like pulling teeth trying to get a response from them about anything. Where as with TMPA I can get any question answered or situation handled in a matter of minutes 24/7.

A friend of mine was in a shooting and TMPA had someone on the phone with him before admin was on scene, telling him exactly what to say and do and what not to say and do and he stayed on the phone with him until he could get dressed and arrive on scene 40 minutes later. The TMPA rep stayed with the officer every second until it was over and he was free to go. He came down at a moments notice each and every time he was needed and practically lived with the officer until the entire ordeal was over.

If they do join again I sure as hell hope they are a lot more TMPA than CLEAT.

I also recommend having non-law enforcement legal representation. It cost a little more but it is always good to have legal representation that has no connection in any way to your agency and has no possible conflict of interest. I recommend Pre-Paid Legal. They are reputable and I personally know a few people who have used them on several occasions. And they don't just do law enforcement related matters, they do EVERYTHING from criminal to civil, on duty and off, law suits, local state or federal, divorce, identity theft, etc etc etc. And they have saved the people I know a ton of money in all of the above matters.

Comment

Looks like TMPA and CLEAT are possibly going to combine. They are in the talks right now, go to the TMPA Website and you can read about it..

Comment

Along the same lines as this thread, how about FOP?

Anyone have anything to say good or bad about them?

My brother is with FOP and an officer with his Lodge so of couse he recommends them. My agency however is affiliated with TMPA. From what I understand the main difference between the two is FOP does not have a cap on legal expenses whereas TMPA does.

Thanks

Comment

I don't know much about the FOP. I hear they are big up north. I think NRH has an FOP lodge, but don't know about anyone else
                  1 Corinthians 15:

Comment

Well that's false. I can tell you there is no cap with TMPA. If your defense cost a million dollars, trust me, they pay the bill. Matter of fact, TMPA allows you to pick your own attorney and they bill by the hour and just send it to TMPA and TMPA pays the bill...

I'll give you an incident that happened about right over a year ago. We had two Officers shoot at a guy who was trying to run them over. This incident occurred right after 4am. One Officer had TMPA the other had FOP. The Officer called TMPA and an attorney called him back and told him he was on the way. The FOP Officer called and the attorney told him to call back at 9am to let him know what was going on. That Officer called the FOP President of the Department and asked, WTF??? The FOP President had to make calls to get an attorney to respond...

The TMPA Attorney arrived and stayed with the Officer until that Officer was released to go home...

This is the whole truth and maybe it will shed some light for ya'll. Also, talk to the guys at TMPA. Shoot an email to Kevin Lawrence or anybody. Even though they are the "Head Tacos" of TMPA, they talk to you like they are your best buds. They have shown up to our Department meetings and treat you with respect as if you were their blood... Hope this helps

Comment

That is one reason I went with TMPA. When I was shopping between the 2 I sent an email to CLEAT with a question. Told them I was looking at joining and couldn't find the answer to this on the website. The response was "check the website. If you need anything feel free to contact"

Felt like I was bothering them, so I joined TMPA. They did respond and seemed very friendly.
                      1 Corinthians 15:

Comment

I have both. Everyone i meet loves lone and hates the other. So i just pay the extra cash and have both. If i dont like one i will just go to the other.

Comment

I am a member of TMPA and recently got on the legislative committee. Join something be it TMPA. CLEAT, FOP or pre paid legal. I would say you are a fool if you are on the street with no legal protection. The $23 a month I spend on TMPA is the best insurance policy I have. I have used them on a shooting and they stepped up big time to help us run our civil service election.

TMPA probably has the best attorney's in the state- Bob Gorsky, Lance Wyatt, Greg Cagle, Terri Hickey to name a few.

It would be awesome if you can make it 20-30 years as a cop and never have to use anybody and decide it was a waste of money. But, if you get in a jam what a smart investment you made.
                          Last edited by RPA1069; 08-01-2008, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks all. Since our association is affiliated with TMPA I guess I am going to join them.

David

Comment

Originally posted by RPA1069 View Post
                              I am a member of TMPA and recently got on the legislative committee. Join something be it TMPA. CLEAT, FOP or pre paid legal. I would say you are a fool if you are on the street with no legal protection. The $23 a month I spend on TMPA is the best insurance policy I have. I have used them on a shooting and they stepped up big time to help us run our civil service election.

TMPA probably has the best attorney's in the state- Bob Gorsky, Lance Wyatt, Greg Cagle, Terri Hickey to name a few.

It would be awesome if you can make it 20-30 years as a cop and never have to use anybody and decide it was a waste of money. But, if you get in a jam what a smart investment you made.
                              +1

Phil Burleson (TMPA) worked with me on my shooting in 2005. Awesome guy. Like the others said, join something. You might need it one day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6081 users online. 313 members and 5768 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X