300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Police Department

I am a police officer at a larger Missouri police department and am currently seeking to obain employment with a repuatable and progressive department in Texas. I am particularly interested in Austin and was curious if anyone who posts on this site possessed any unique insight into this department. What are the opinions regarding the Austin Police Department? What is the general attitude of the Austin PD concerning crime prevention? For example, does the Austin PD encourage officers to aggresively implement crime prevention tactics or is it more about PR? I know Austin pays well and is a wonderful place to live, however I didnt get into law enforcement to stand around all day shaking hands and kissing babies. What type of equipment is issued (tasers, patrol rifles, shotguns, etc.)? What are the requirements for special assignments? What type of retirement is offered? Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I think that most of this has already been answered in here, but just in case it hasn't....

Most people (general public) keep a high regard for the PD. Unfortunately, they are not the ones that make the most noise, so they are rarely heard from. The ones that make the most noise are the ones that bad mouth the dept, scream and cry that they think they were mis-treated, etc, etc. Does it change the way that I do my job, not at all. People like to bitch and moan about us until they need us, then they're the first to call us.

If you want to be pro-active, by all means, go out and get after it. If you want to shake hands and kiss babies, we have that too.

Issued equipment: duty belt, inner belt, 2 single hand cuff cases, hinged and chain cuffs, taser and holster, pepper spray and holster, SL-20 (charger and belt ring incl), traffic cone, radio and holster, pager and holster, straight stick and ring, 4 keepers, uniforms (4 pants, 4 short sleeve, 2 long sleeve, heavy jacket, light jacket, Bus Driver hat, tie w/ clasp), badge, duty ammunition, riot helmet w/ face shield, updated copies of TX code (Penal, Trans, CCP, etc), General Orders, and misc keys..... I think that's about it.

Shotguns are in the patrol cars, AR's are limited, but can be issued or personal upon copletion of training.

Special assignments.... you pretty much have to have at least 2 yrs on the street, there must be an opening in the unit that you are interested in, you put in for it (with COC approval), go through a selection process and get selected (or not). Different assignments require additional training before applying.

Retirement.. we put in 13% of our base salary, including soft pay and OT. City matches 18%. Minimum time til retirement is 23 yrs. (# yrs svc) x (multiplier (Currently 3.2)) = percentage of highest 3 yr average salary (to put it VERY generally). There is also a 457b or deferred compensation that you can put in to but the city doesn't add anything.
    Last edited by usmcrob; 05-23-2008, 08:13 PM.

Comment

USMCRob,

I see no mention of a handgun issued. Does APD not issue one? Also are you required to carry the straight stick or is that for riot puroses? I go to Austin a few times a year and don't recall seeing officers carrying them. Is Austin state civil service or city charter? Last, I presume you guys are on some sort of pension? At those percentages that can't be TMRS.

Comment

Originally posted by Thisguy1996 View Post
        USMCRob,

I see no mention of a handgun issued. Does APD not issue one? Also are you required to carry the straight stick or is that for riot puroses? I go to Austin a few times a year and don't recall seeing officers carrying them. Is Austin state civil service or city charter? Last, I presume you guys are on some sort of pension? At those percentages that can't be TMRS.
        As of right now (and I hope it stays) the dept does not issue handguns, mags, or holsters. The new chief wants to issue a standard weapon, but I really don't see the city forking over a million+ $$ to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Like GB said, there is an approved weapon list, but all new cadets must purchase the S&W M&P 40.

LONG LIVE THE 1911

Most officers choose to carry a purchased ASP instead of the issued straight stick. We carry a different (longer) straight stick on SRT (riot squad).

We are civil service.

We have our own reitirement, doesn't have anything to do with TMRS.
        Last edited by usmcrob; 05-26-2008, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
          Austin PD is civil service.
          Is that state civil service (ch 143) or city charter? I find it a bit unusual that a department that size dosen't issue handguns. But that does have it merits.

Comment

Is that state civil service (ch 143) or city charter? I find it a bit unusual that a department that size dosen't issue handguns. But that does have it merits.
            We are protected under the Texas Local Government Code, Section 143 (Municipal Civil Service for Firefighters and Police Officers).

Personally, I don't like the idea of forcing someone to carry one particular weapon. Who is to say that the the weapon that I am accurate, comfortable and confident with is the same weapon that you are, or the next guy? Personally, I don't care if you want to carry a tiny little .25 auto, as long as you hit what you are aiming at. I don't want someone out on the street with me that isn't 100% comfortable and confident with the weapon that they are carrying.

I'd rather see the chief spend the money on putting an AR-15 in every car instead of screwing with my duty weapon.

Comment

Im not an Austin PD officer but an officer for a city that is near. I could not work for Austin because i believe the current chief there is borderline racist and I believe targets caucasion(American) and particularly male employees with veiled threats, outright actions etc. I also suspect that he may have violated the rights of several of the white officers there with PC type disciplinary actions related to sexual orientation and gender. Combine the racism and discrimination with the liberal, "Blame America-hate America" attitude of the city council along with the federal law-breaking of "Sanctuary city" status for illegals and Austin is a bad place for a LOYAL non-hyphenated American veteran like myself to work. I'm not perfect but I have values. If Im wrong about Austin, someone please correct me. I'm willing to listen.....

My advice is to stay away from Austin and concentrate on some of the surrounding cities. There are a LOT of opportunites surrounding Austin without the Hate America-blame America Democrat-lib nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcrob View Post
                Personally, I don't like the idea of forcing someone to carry one particular weapon.

I'd rather see the chief spend the money on putting an AR-15 in every car instead of screwing with my duty weapon.

Amen to both!

Cueball, uh wow............. Those are some pretty stiff alligations.

Comment

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Comment

Cueball06, if you dont mind me asking, what agency is it that you work for?
                    Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

Comment

USMCRob,

Nope, meow. We have a list of approved weapons and purchase what we want to.
                      Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

Originally posted by usmcrob View Post
                        We are protected under the Texas Local Government Code, Section 143 (Municipal Civil Service for Firefighters and Police Officers).

Personally, I don't like the idea of forcing someone to carry one particular weapon. Who is to say that the the weapon that I am accurate, comfortable and confident with is the same weapon that you are, or the next guy? Personally, I don't care if you want to carry a tiny little .25 auto, as long as you hit what you are aiming at. I don't want someone out on the street with me that isn't 100% comfortable and confident with the weapon that they are carrying.

I was informed that my choice of duty weapon was not to the Chief's liking. He wants to give all of us (eventually) a S&W M and P .40 cal.
                        There is no problem with ANYONES duty weapon because they choose and purchase the one to their liking.
                        It is a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Thomas Mag PM if you need more info.
                        Last edited by Frank Sector; 05-28-2008, 09:11 PM.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

Amen to both!

Cueball, uh wow............. Those are some pretty stiff alligations.
                          I cannot comment on the truthful allegations that Cueball makes regarding that particular person.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

Austin

My understanding of Austin has always been that the PD isn't the problem..............its the public they serve. Austin is not the conservative pro-law enforcement enviroment you would expect in Texas. They are very ANTI law enforcement. I'd fear for my life down there if I had to shoot someone, and an Austin Grand Jury held my fate in there hands. Have you looked at the North Texas Dallas Metro area? Its much more conservative, and the pay benefits are competitive with Austin. If it were me that's what I would look into. Not to mention if you haven't spent an enormous amount of time in Austin, I would go camp out down there for a week or two. Allergies in central Texas are horrendous. When I lived down there I was miserable almost year round. When one allergen goes away another comes in. I moved to North Texas, and they went away completely. I almost feel like a new person. Good luck in you decision Missouri Cop.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesty View Post
                              My understanding of Austin has always been that the PD isn't the problem..............its the public they serve. Austin is not the conservative pro-law enforcement enviroment you would expect in Texas. They are very ANTI law enforcement. I'd fear for my life down there if I had to shoot someone, and an Austin Grand Jury held my fate in there hands. .................. Not to mention if you haven't spent an enormous amount of time in Austin, I would go camp out down there for a week or two. Allergies in central Texas are horrendous. When I lived down there I was miserable almost year round. When one allergen goes away another comes in.
                              Actually, the majority of the public is very pro-police, however, they are not the ones that anyone listens to. The anti-police minority (using that term strictly regarding numbers, not race or social status) make the most noise, so therefore they get heard the most. Not to mention that our media, both broadcast and print, are very anti-police because that is what sells. I get way more "thank you"'s while in uniform than I do "**** you"'s.

Also, the Grand Jury hasn't indicted an officer for a shooting yet. Olsen, Shroeder, Coffey, Glasgow, none of them were indicted.

What makes it harder to do the job here is we work in the People's Communist Republic of Travis County, and have to deal with the United States Supreme Municipal Court of Austin. The courts are so far to the left it's ridiculous. We actually get some good convictions when it goes before a jury. The people here are SLOWLY starting to realize what is going on.

Now the City, that's completely different. The City is so bass-ackwards they don't know which way is up. They are so touchy-feely, make everyone feel good, waste money on crap that has nothing to do about anything, that they can't support us the way that they should. At least we finally got rid of Toby Futrell, who tried (and was somewhat successful) in running the PD from the City Manager's office.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. All in all, I think it's a great place to work and live. And the allergies are not THAT bad.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2462 users online. 142 members and 2320 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X