300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of State applicant (chicago) for Austin PD

Austin police are comming to Chicago in a few weeks and I was just wondering about how picky they are in the selection process. They said they need 100 applicants for the academy class in March 2009. The selection process looks long and probably designed to weed alot of people out. How many people normally apply for Austin. They seem to be stopping by several states on the way here so it looks like alot of people will be testing. I am just wondering about my odds before I spend so much traveling to Austin to complete the process.

Scott

Austin PD is a great department so Im sure a lot of folks want in. Austin Fire had around 1300 applicants and they had to take their written exams in a stadium. So, I am going to assume that if APD is going around the US to look for applicants then that would only lead me to believe that there will be a large number of folks applying.
    Last edited by moorejam; 05-03-2008, 12:02 AM. Reason: .
    Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott32 View Post
      Austin police are comming to Chicago in a few weeks and I was just wondering about how picky they are in the selection process. They said they need 100 applicants for the academy class in March 2009. The selection process looks long and probably designed to weed alot of people out. How many people normally apply for Austin. They seem to be stopping by several states on the way here so it looks like alot of people will be testing. I am just wondering about my odds before I spend so much traveling to Austin to complete the process.

Scott

APD is super picky bro. They are an ultra liberal dept based in an ultra liberal city. I dont know if you're a curret leo or not, but if you have anything in your internal affairs jacket, they wont touch you. They do pay well, but they dont back their people at all. Im sure others will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
        Looks like someone didn't get picked up...

As a current APD applicant who is waiting to take the poly/medical/phyc, after passing the background, I can tell you that the process has been very smooth and the dept. has been VERY helpful and professional. The recruiting/backgrounds staff are all very outgoing and helpful and do much more than treat you like another social security #.

I have been in LE for 5 years and have been through numerous application processes, with this being the most efficient yet. I will say that my background was/is not "spotless" (who's is really), although my internal affairs jacket is....point being, they will take each issues in stride and will consider you as a "whole applicant". Don't let the misfortune of another shy you away from applying.

I'd be happy to tell you about my experiences so far. Feel free to PM me with any questions. In the meantime, get in good shape for the physical (which is no big deal in my opinion, but I saw two guys who seemed to be in decent shape fail it).

There are quite a few APD guys on this board and they will chime in....

But regarding backing their employees.....I can't speak to this, but with about 1,500 officers on the dept and only a few terminations over misconduct of some sort in the recent history, you chances of sticking around are better than not. Just stay professional, keep your head down during probation, work hard and like with any other LE organization, you should do just fine.

This is a great time to apply. They will work with you in the backgrounds process and will only require two trips to TX. I can tell you for sure that they are currently having a real hard time finding qualified applicants. They need many more applicants to get near that 100 mark, believe me. So now is the time to give it a shot.

Based on their lucrative compensation package, I did look into them. I even went on a ride along before I made my decision. I chose not to apply with them, based on what I observed. I understand that anywhere you go there is gonna be some b.s., even where I am with the feds. APD just seemed a lil too over the top. For instance, the officer I rode with said they cant wear black or mirrored sunglass, the have to wear amber because they are less intimidating I also have an old classmate of mine who got turned down by APD and is now a S/A with Secret Service. I guess he wasnt good enough to ride in an APD black and white, yet he's good enough to serve on the presidential detail..go figure.
        Last edited by TXICE; 05-04-2008, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Ok, where to start.....

Scott, the selection process has been streamlined a great deal in the last couple of years. I personally know of an applicant that went from test date to academy in less than 3 months. It can be a lengthy process, but most of them are. Depending on when you apply and when the next scheduled start date is, will determine how long the process is going to be.

As far as I know, we don't offer off-site testing. All potential applicants must fill out a pre-screening packet and send it in with all the required documents (diploma, credit report, college transcripts, etc). Once the pre-screen has been approved, then the applicant will be given a test date. The testing process is a 2 day event, written and psych on day 1, and physical on day 2. To answer your question about how many normally apply.... 1600 applied with me, and I started the academy with 64 classmates. The class after mine had something like 3200 applicants, and started with 109 cadets.

Of course there are going to be disqualifiers, most of which are spelled out on our recruiting web site. If it is not listed on the web site, call one of our recruiters. I know most of them, and they are more than willing to answer questions. If it is not spelled out as a disqualifier, then it is taken on a case by case basis.

Yes, we work primarily in Travis County, and Austin is the blue dot in the red state. The People's Republic of Travis County (to include the United States Supreme Municipal Court of Austin) are quite liberal, but we do our job and that's all that people can ask of us. If I got upset/****ed off at the judicial system, then I would have had a dozen heart attacks by now. Thankfully, I think that things are SLOWLY starting to change, we just soldier on, that's all we can do.

We just (July 07) got a new Police Chief, who is making a lot of changes in the department. Some I agree with, others, well..... He is big on holding his officers accountable, which I have no problem with. You do what you are supposed to do and don't do what you know you're not supposed to do and this job is pretty easy. Now, do I agree with every decision that is/has been made, not necessarily, but for the most part, he is leaps and bounds better than what he have had the last decade or so.

As far as the black or mirrored sun glasses go, I haven't heard that one. Personally, I wear Oakleys with the grey lenses (whenever that bright orb in the sky is out). Also, I'm sure there are stories about people who got canned from one agency and hired on with another for just about every department out there.

Bottom line, are we a perfect department, no, but show me one that is. I love going to work every day (well, night) and I am pretty well compensated for it. Are there things that I would change, of course, but all in all, I fell that we have a pretty good thing going on.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

GB, my man, good to hear from you again, hope to see you soon.
          Last edited by usmcrob; 05-04-2008, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Wow, he (rob) is quite articulate, huh, especially for a marine!.
            Come on now, you should know that we Marines can't write like that! I use some hired help whenever I need to provide an intelligent response.

When I, and I assume other applicants, see numbers like, only 109 applicants got picked up out of 3200, its pretty discouraging. Its makes one think, why even bother to apply?! But you need to consider that alot of those applicants should not have even applied in the first place. People who couldn't do the 26 pushups and situps required in intitial testing, people with horendous driving records, recent drug use, no work history, and so on and so on. This was also before APD listed their automatic disqualifiers on their website. So folks went into the process blind.
            Yea, I guess I should have clarified that a little better.

Comment

The process is long but its worth it. Yes a lot of people apply but its possible to get through it if you dont have a horrible past. A lot of guys I work with have negative marks in their backgrounds but they were honest about them in the process. They dont expect you to be perfect but they expect you to be honest. They understand that you do things in your youth that you wish you hadnt but you also get life experience depending on the changes you made after that incident. They wont dq you automatically just because you have some IA complaints against you. It obviously depends on what it was for but its not a automatic DQ.

In terms of the sunglasses the amber shade thing is a total lie. Policy states we have to have black frames with black or gray lenses. I know plenty of people who dont abide by that but they are not getting days off because of it.

Austin is a political town and we may have more restrictions than other depts like HPD, DPD or SAPD but we get paid a hell of a lot more. You can go up to Cedar Park and deal with very little bs but you are making half the income. Money shouldnt be the thing that drives you in this profession but it certainly helps soften the blow with some of the BS that goes on in the Supreme Court of Austin municipal courts.

Basically APD is a good dept to work for and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be a cop. Great pay/benefits, a strong brotherhood, pretty good equipment and plenty of room to advance and work different avenues of law enforcement. We have so many units that you can transfer to after you put 2 yrs on the street.

Comment

Well what are my chances of getting in without any credit hours?

Comment

Originally posted by shortchange View Post
                  Well what are my chances of getting in without any credit hours?
                  Need 2 yrs of sworn LE or miltary with an Honorable discharge.
                  Last edited by usmcrob; 05-26-2008, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Your chances of getting on with no credits are nill unless you have 4 yrs of military experience...

Comment

Scott32, do you have a link for this?
                      Rock Out with your Glock out
                      "If you can't hit em......Crown Vic em"

Comment

Originally posted by TXICE View Post
                        Based on their lucrative compensation package, I did look into them. I even went on a ride along before I made my decision. I chose not to apply with them, based on what I observed. I understand that anywhere you go there is gonna be some b.s., even where I am with the feds. APD just seemed a lil too over the top. For instance, the officer I rode with said they cant wear black or mirrored sunglass, the have to wear amber because they are less intimidating I also have an old classmate of mine who got turned down by APD and is now a S/A with Secret Service. I guess he wasnt good enough to ride in an APD black and white, yet he's good enough to serve on the presidential detail..go figure.
                        I am not up to date with APD recruiting methods as I went through the app process a few years back.
                        The benefits are outstanding, officers great. Our citizenry is a good mix of regular folks and many "weird" folks.
                        I love the job and what I/we do but getting used to whining and liberal anti-police types is something I feel we have to et used to no matter where we go.
                        As for the sunglasses do not believe that. I have had non-standard sunglasses for quite a few years. We unfortunately do have a book of "general orders" which are rules we must adhere to as big as a phone book.
                        If you want to crack some heads and chase bad guys in high speed chases then do not come to Austin,administration is more worried about lawsuits and hurt feelings.
                        If you shoot somebody start looking for a new job because citizens act like you just detonated a nuke in an orphanage.
                        Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

Hey frank sector...Are you chase restrictions, and use of force really that horrible. From what I could find online about austin shootings, seems like most were upheld. Have any austin officers been indicted in grand jury recently? We can expect complaints when chasing, and use of force, but of course some of it is nessesary(?). Other times...you know every dept has popo's that run their mouth when they shouldnt. I have worked beside a few of them, luckily the one was a sergeant so he had to handle his own complaints

Comment

Originally posted by df2338 View Post
                            Hey frank sector...Are you chase restrictions, and use of force really that horrible. From what I could find online about austin shootings, seems like most were upheld. Have any austin officers been indicted in grand jury recently? We can expect complaints when chasing, and use of force, but of course some of it is nessesary(?). Other times...you know every dept has popo's that run their mouth when they shouldnt. I have worked beside a few of them, luckily the one was a sergeant so he had to handle his own complaints

We do not get indicted on our shootings because they are good shootings.
                            There are so many "catch all" rules we have that the Chief can fire you for not using "common sense and good judgement." No elaboration required,he can disagree with what you did and that is it.
                            A recent officer got fired because he was justified in firing 2 shots into a suspects back that killed him but he followed up with 2 more that hit the dirt near the suspect as the suspect was moving. He was fired because even though the suspect was mortally wounded, the Chief said the 2 follow up shots seemed "un-necessary." You can shoot a suspect 2 times in the heart but do not miss on the 3rd or 4th, it is "excessive".

We are civil service but we get fired alot for pulling the trigger on folks who MUST be shot.
                            The good is we get no billed but thee bad is that you USUALLY have to look for a new job because of the Austin liberal outlook.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

As I asked, outside of Sgt. Olsen, can you provide another example?
                              Yep, officer Gary Griffin and Officer Julie Schroeder. He (Griffin) wrestled a drunk who got him in a headlock and hit him several times. He was fired by our old interim Chief. He was re-instated after an appeal.
                              The Chief felt he was to "excessive" in defending himself against the drunk suspect after the suspect knocked the officers glasses off and was trying to headlock him. Schroeder shot a felon who knocked her and her sgt on the ground in a fight after he had mounted her sgt and her taser went missing in the scuffle.
                              Feel free to do searches on our local rag the Austin Un-American Statesman paper. Ok I added the "un" but it should show every major incident we have had.

Enjoy but do not eat before reading it because you will toss your cookies because it is so sickening how liberal things are.
                              Last edited by Frank Sector; 06-06-2008, 09:37 PM.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2491 users online. 142 members and 2349 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X