X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cowboyacg
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2007

Carrying ID on the Job

I am kinda still new to this whole forum thing on officer.com, but my question is this. I have been recently hired by the TDCJ to work in a maximum security prison, and I do not want to carry my wallet with all my information in it while working, since most of you are law enforcement or work in this kind of enviroment, what do you carry with you daily as a personal identification other than you officer or correctional officer ID, and how do you carry it? I know this may sound like a dumb question, but I didnt really know who to ask. Thanks
  • Bearcat357
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Not sure what TX law is....or what Dept. policy is....you should check there first....

When I worked the road, I had my check card, my DL, and my Commission Card on my person (in my uniform top pocket)......other pocket had my notebook, State BAC Operators Card, and Miranda Card......

It was the policy at my last two uniformed agencies to have DL and Commission Card on you when you were on duty....

Comment

• TexasAggieOfc
      God Bless Texas
      • May 2007

I am required to carry four forms of ID on me at all times while in uniform:
      1. Valid Texas DL
      2. TCLEOSE Commission Card
      3. Sheriff's Commission Card
      4. County Employee Identification Card

I also usually have a Debit Card on me for going out to lunch. I have them in a small ID wallet, and I carry it in my left breast pocket.
      sigpic
      Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

• flatbadge
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2003

when i worked the jails, NOBODY carried personal id on them. Nothing. No wallet, ect. Keep that stuff locked up. Ask your training officer.
        On patrol my wallet was secured in the trunk of my patrol car. no personal info on my person.
        "Don't bother to run, you will only go to jail tired!"

Comment

• AKA=Cruz
          Forum Member
          • May 2006

When I worked the jail I never carried a I.D. except my SO assignment ID that we clipped on to our shirts. You don’t want an inmate to get a DL during a scuffle. They do have still have friends out on the street.

Also don’t say your girlfriends, wife or children name at work. Inmates pick up on that. And try not to use your first name too.
          "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

• rgv_cop
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2004

I usually carry my DL, dept ID, debit card, and maybe a little bit of cash.
            "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

• shablee
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2007

I don't know why anybodys PD would require them to carry an ID on themselves, unless you are in a plain clothes assignment. Maybe a department ID with your name/rank/identifying features, but that's it. Why would you carry your wallet on your person anyway. I once was in a scrum with multiple scumbags and multiple cops. When it was all said in done, we had 5 in handcuffs and something inside my head told my to slap at my backpocket holding my wallet. I did and it wasn't there. When I looked down to where we had all been fighting, there it was-w/my credit cards, pictures of my kids, and MY ADDRESS. If it's department policy, I suggest you talk to your shift commander/union rep/chief, or who ever can make change. There's no need to carry your wallet while you are working. Just my.02.

Comment

• Northtechsan
                Forum Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by shablee
                I don't know why anybodys PD would require them to carry an ID on themselves
                My PD requires us to carry our Police ID on us uniform or not. I actually had a complainant request to see it one night b/c she wasn't sure we were the real thing. Despite both me and my cover officer were in marked squad cars, and a FD engine, and med unit were behind us.

Comment

• TexasAggieOfc
                  God Bless Texas
                  • May 2007

I was under the impression that at a minimum, TCLEOSE requires your TCLEOSE card must be on your person while on duty. State Law requires you to have a DL in your possession while operating a motor vehicle. Of course, I don't know if TDCJ has TCLEOSE cards.
                  sigpic
                  Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

• flatbadge
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2003

In the real world, where you get into fights, foot pursuits, and shootings, its my opinion as others that you dont carry it on your person. Police work is not walmart.

On top of that, its not good for the back to sit on a wallet.

Off duty we were required to carry badge/id. Now I carry retired badge/ID
                    "Don't bother to run, you will only go to jail tired!"

Comment

• TX_CO
                      Field Training Officer
                      • Jan 2007

Just carry your State ID in your shirt pocket, you need it to get in and out of the unit. You will not need your wallet or money inside the prison.

If I do a transport I go get my wallet before my weapons.

Your TDCJ ID will look just like the one carried by the wardens secretary and the mail clerk, it identifies you only as an employee of TDCJ nowhere does it indicate your position with the Agency. Other than the fact that you are in uniform for the picture.

No TCLEOSE cards, however we can challenge the test at anytime (the agency does not require or recognize it).
                      Last edited by TX_CO; 11-13-2007, 11:54 AM.
                      the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

• texaschickeee
                        All Sas and Sarcasm!
                        • Oct 2005

Cowboy-
                        when Iworked in TDCJ I promise you I carried nothing but what was issued. (the red ID card, around my neck)
                        Any thing that can be *dropped* is fair game for the offenders.
                        I left my purse in my trunk and my wallet LOCKED in the glove box.
                        personally I knew alot of the gaurds that locked their stuff in the car to.
                        ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                        Oscar Wilde

Comment

• thirdgod
                          Lone Star Deputy
                          • Jul 2003

When I was at Arizona DOC I carried my wallet, but we wore BDUs so it was buttoned into my pocket. I also carried a seperate badge/ID holder for getting into and out of the unit.

Now that I'm a cop, my wallet, ID, etc stay in my gear bag in the trunk of the car while I'm on duty.
                          1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20892 users online. 58 members and 20834 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...