Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Houston Downtown Academy

Anyone attend the
    Last edited by Erik3232; 07-03-2021, 07:17 AM.

I went back in '87, and I'm pretty sure it is a completely different academy by now. I really liked it because they brought in officers who were experts in their field from different departments to teach classes. I have no idea if they have more staff instructors or are contracted like when I attended.

I also went through my department's academy 3 years later, and even though our instructors had war story experience, the officers in Houston - the 4th largest city in the country, had far more experience than our experienced officers.

Good luck with finding the information you are looking for.

Comment

If you get into HPD they will pay you to attend their large academy.

Comment

I’m already in the UHD Academy. I just wanted to see if anyone attended it during COVID and how it’s changed because kf jt

Comment

I went to it only because HPD and HCSO weren't hiring right when I got back from the military. Some small departments here and they were hiring, but of course, you had to have already been certified to get on with them. After the academy, HCSO opened up, and my buddy and I were going to go in together, however, my new girlfriend and future wife wanted to move back to where she was from. I followed her there sadly declining their call to come in and finalize the hiring process.

Comment

So I just graduated class 315 from UHD this past January. We did the night class. For a month, we did online zoom classes. When we got back on campus. We had to be sitting separated. When we did arrest and control, we were limited to what we could do with COVID. We still practiced handcuffing but we couldn’t really do a lot of hands on stuff.

The PT test was cancelled at the end, the notebooks were cancelled. Homework was cancelled. Book reports were cancelled. They made it a big emphasis on studying for TCOLE.

Comment

• KMAN1084
              KMAN1084 commented
              Editing a comment
              What's the normal PT test consist of?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4773 users online. 287 members and 4486 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X