300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constable Questions

Can someone breakdown the job desription for constables in Texas. It seems they do mostly civil service along with some fugutive apprehension. Is it my understanding that they dont really answer calls for service or assist sheriff's office/police department patrol officers on calls? I noticed that they seem to work alot of "road" off duty jobs at construction sites in the Austin/Round Rock area. Seems like these types of jobs would be ideal for older more seasoned guys looking to get out of traditional policing. Any input? Thanks

Depends on the area you're in and what your constable wants you to do. For instance, in Harris County, Precincts 4 and 5, and even 3 will answer calls for service. They are large enough where they have a civil division. However, in other counties, they don't want them to answer calls and sometimes assist other agencies. Precinct 8 in Harris County doesn't normally get calls for service or answer them, but they can monitor other agencies and jump the call if they so choose. They don't have a CID so there are just some things they can't get involved in.

Alot of Constable Deputies are retired big city cops and because there is not a lot of police work involved they fit right in with keeping their police powers but doing the minimum amount of work necessary.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Essential Job Functions
      Under moderate supervision, performs timely service of all criminal and civil processes issued by the courts and enforces local, state and federal laws. Transports prisoners to jail and may transport persons to court or other jurisdictions. May engage in investigative duties. May perform the following additional duties: Executes claims, performs clerical duties, checks title and serial numbers on vehicles, directs traffic, maintains patrol vehicles, makes arrests and serves as a bailiff for Justice of the Peace court. Performs other duties as assigned.

Thats the "description" from the opening for the opening in Travis County. I have heard from a lot of guys that they mostly do the Court thing until 5pm and then head to their off duty gig.
      Ever feel like you live in the state of confusion?

Comment

Alot of Constable Deputies are retired big city cops and because there is not a lot of police work involved they fit right in with keeping their police powers but doing the minimum amount of work necessary.

Like JSD73 said, from what i see from the Constables around here in Denton County, they are mostly older retired Sheriffs and Police. They do not answer calls for service here. They handle mostly the civil stuff that comes up. They will back you up if you need them. Not a bad bunch of guys, but a good retired type of job.

Comment

Do not forget they also do a lot of contracts for neighborhoods. A homeowner association’ hires them to do extra patrol in their neighborhoods.

Be aware that it is a very political job. When a new Constable is elected, most thier Deputies will have to reapply for their jobs, most of the time. Also in the Houston area they love to be on the news so the have more pull with commissioners court, who hold the purse strings.
          "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

HCCO Pct 6 Constable Victor Trevino is the media hog

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
              HCCO Pct 6 Constable Victor Trevino is the media hog
              word.

also pct. 5 just changed top dawgs, from Check to campos. (never herd of him....) but its a very political. high turn over and very low moral. nature of the beast.
              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
              Oscar Wilde

Comment

*raises hand*
                what do constable carry (sidearms)? I know that most HPD and HCSO carry .40's.
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                  word.

also pct. 5 just changed top dawgs, from Check to campos. (never herd of him....) but its a very political. high turn over and very low moral. nature of the beast.
                  The Constable for Pct 5 is Phil Camus and he was an Assistant Chief under Constable Cheek. Before that he worked for HPD. He has been around a while.

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                  *raises hand*
                  what do constable carry (sidearms)? I know that most HPD and HCSO carry .40's.
                  At Pct 4 it is pretty much the officer's choice. Most carry .40S&W or .45. It just has to be a reputable brand of firearm and at least 9mm for uniformed duty.

As for the initial question:

Overall most Constable's Dept are limited to civil process and misdemeanor warrants. I work for Harris Co. PCt 4 and we are the largest Constable's Office and we are one of the most active. We have a very large patrol division and we cover alot of area. Most of our deputies are assigned to the uniformed patrol division. Our boss is not afraid of us getting our hands dirty and will get out there with us on a regular basis.

Comment

Amen...now that's what a constable's office needs to be.

Most of Pct 5 guys are retired HPD or HCSO...they hump, but not as much as 4.

Comment

If you're looking around Texas-

Easy gig decent pay for retired officer is Port of Galveston PD, Texas A&M- Galveston PD. Easy gig, great pay for retired officer is UTMB PD (in Galveston). 50k to start I do believe.

Check out the hospital districts and colleges in all of the cities you are looking at as well.

Comment

UTMB starts at around 37K. It bumps up real quick though and OT is plentiful so it's not hard to make around 65-85 without trying. They'll be getting another pay raise soon as well.

Comment

One of ours retired late last year and went to work there. They started him out at 53k. Must be the lateral entry/years of experience.

Comment

I think you're right....the years of experience will definitely bump em up. I started my career there ten years ago.....great place to end your career, not a great place to start it off, if you wanna be a street cop that is.

Cog -- you work for GPD?

Comment

Yup. 11 years, 11 months, and 2 days. 8 years, 29 days to go.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3373 users online. 192 members and 3181 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X