Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TCole

Hello all,

I am coming up on my TCOLE in 2 months and have heard horror stories about this new exam. What are some of the best study guides yall have and can anyone give me some tips or bits of information to help me succeed other than general study information? Pm or post works thank you all.

Following, I am about 3 months out and our instructors have been stressing how hard the new one is.

Comment

I took the test in '88 and again in '90 and '91, and I passed each time with relatively high passing scores. I remember that if you had decent common sense, that you could pass the test without ever going through an academy. I also remember questions on the test that I don't ever remember being covered during my two academies, and because of that, good common sense, or good luck, comes into play.

Other than actually listening to everything taught and reading a lot of what is presented in the academy, I would invest a little in those practice tests available online. As you may have already seen, there are some free tests online, but those may reflect the older test so hopefully, those practice tests reflect the current test and not the old one. Personally, I never knew anything one way or another about the test changing a lot, but if so, if you actually participated in the academy and are reasonably intelligent, you should have no problem.
      Last edited by angeredmgmt; 03-03-2021, 04:42 PM.

Comment

New TCOLE has 40 percent pass rate. Good luck , little bit tougher than the one 30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by brAngus92 View Post
          New TCOLE has 40 percent pass rate. Good luck , little bit tougher than the one 30 years ago.
          I did a ride along last week where I met an FTO and his trainee who were both from a very small PD. The officer I was riding with and these other two officers and I did a bar check of a saloon in that small city. Before going in, I gave her pointers about what to expect, what to look for and safety concerns just enough to not stop on the FTO's toes. After the bar check, the FTO told me that she told him that they just breezed through the teaching of laws in her academy, and that she was taught very little on TABC laws. I didn't ask which academy she attended, but I'm hoping this isn't the trend now - not spending quality time teaching state laws. It it is a 40% passing rate now, this may sadly be the norm.

Comment

I have about 3 weeks left now. Been studying for it but am curious if anymore recently took it and have any tips.

Thanks all above for your words

Comment

I passed the new TCOLE exam last November on the first try. I attended a mentor academy so the standards are higher than your average academy (so I’m told).

We were constantly told how hard the new exam is so from the beginning I reviewed material everyday after each class and then began reviewing everything about 4 weeks out. I prioritized the biggest subjects, then the subjects I didn’t know as well and then everything else. Teex practice tests are helpful but check everything as there are minor differences. Practicing test taking. Read the question, reread the question, read the answers, reread the question, reread the answers, and select the best answer.

Ultimately, it’s time and effort you put in throughout the academy and outside of class that are going to help you pass. There are no shortcuts.

Comment

So Teex has updated their tests to reflect the new way tcole is? Because i know for awhile they took the practice exams down since it no longer reflected the test.

Comment

Throughout the academy I averaged a 90 and I got an 82 on TCOLE. I just passed this past January. It was hard. If you google TEEX TCOLE practice test. These guys wrote the questions to the test. They have a database of 4500 questions and you will get 300 from them.

From experience, some of these practice questions will show up on the test. Do not memorize these questions. Learn to understand what is being asked. There were no classification of offense questions on mine, but make sure you understand CCP, Penal Code, Transportation Code. That helped a lot.

Comment

Awesome Thank you! I am about 4 weeks out from the test.

Comment

• TXBlueLine92
                      TXBlueLine92 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just want to re-iterate, take your time. Read the question, if you don’t know it, move on to the next. It will give you a little box to check and allow you to come back to them. Sometimes the answer to the question you don’t know about is in part of a different question later on so you come back to it.

Make sure you read the question before you answer it. They will trick you. For example, it will ask you the objective of mechanical check versus what is something you do in a mechanical check of a vehicle. They will will both have different answers but the answers will look similarly close. Like one of our instructors would say “get the 70, anything higher than that is showing off”. Just study. Study and do more studying.

I really recommend the TEEX TCOLE Practice tests. It’s 35 bucks for 30 days. But you can take as many practice exams as you want. It helps find out how questions are being asked

Thanks all I made an 80. Testing websites helped a lot. Study the bpoc objectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Groger6 View Post
                      Thanks all I made an 80. Testing websites helped a lot. Study the bpoc objectives.
                      how was the test overall?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3619 users online. 243 members and 3376 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X